Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Terrorist Credits Hollywood For His Recruitment

Terrorist Credits Hollywood For His Recruitment

[url]http://dailycaller.com/2011/08/31/terrorist-credits-hollywood-for-his-recruitment/#ixzz1Wl56hKxy[/url]

[QUOTE]Terrorist credits Hollywood for his recruitment
    Published: 5:09 PM 08/31/2011 | Updated: 6:15 PM 08/31/2011

A Balkan Muslim who killed two U.S. Air Force servicemen in March has told a German judge Wednesday that he was motivated after seeing the movie “Redacted,” which was made as a political statement in 2007 by Hollywood director Brian De Palma, Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban and several high-profile movie industry producers.

Arid Uka told the judge that that he murdered the two Americans in March after he watched the movie’s graphic depiction of U.S. soldiers raping a girl in Iraq, according to a BBC report. “I thought what I saw in that video, these people would do in Afghanistan,” he said, the BBC reports.

“What I did was wrong, but I cannot undo what I did,” Arid Uka told the court in Frankfurt.

The dead solders were Senior Airman Nicholas Alden, age 25, and Airman 1st Class Zachary Cuddeback, age 21.

“I honestly had not heard about it,” said one “Redacted” producer, Jason Kliot. “I’m terribly sorry to hear that, but I don’t understand how my movie would impel anyone to commit murder,” he said.

“The real culprit here is the tragedy of war, it is not Brian De Palma’s brilliant film,” he said.

“I don’t see how people would be made to commit acts of violence [after watching “Redacted”], any more than they would for watching Fox News,” Kriot said.

The movie — which also depicted U.S. soldiers as racist murderers — was released as U.S. forced stepped up their successful offensive against Al-Qaeda in Iraq, Saddam Hussein supporters and Iran-sponsored Shia groups in 2006 and 2007.

The movie was widely praised in the movie industry and by left-of-center cultural groups. The movie and De Palma won awards at the 2007 Venice Film Festival, and it received a “Youth Jury Award” from the 2008 Amnesty International Film festival.

But the movie made little money when it was released in Spain and in fifteen U.S. theaters. (RELATED: Court case lifts lid on secret post-9/11 flights)

De Palma was the film’s director. Mark Cuban helped finance the movie. Producer credits went to Cuban and several of his colleagues, including Todd Wagner, Jason Kliot and Joana Vicente. Only Kliot responded to phone calls and emails from The Daily Caller.

The movie was very controversial when it was released.

Then-Rep. Duncan Hunter, the ranking member of the House Armed Services Committee, complained about the movie to the Motion Picture Association of America. The movie “portrays American service personnel in Iraq as uncontrollable misfits and criminals … [and] ignores the many acts of heroism performed by our Soldiers, Marines, Airmen and Sailors in Iraq.”

Public opinion was also mixed, with some critics calling the movie a “terrorist recruiting film.”

“Extra people are going to die because he’s making this movie … not many Americans will see it — but you can bet it’ll be playing on every station over there,” said a 2007 comment by “Witherwings” on the movie-tracking site Rotten Tomatoes.

The movie was praised by such outlets as Time magazine. “It’s an amazingly vigorous work for a filmmaker who turns 67 on Sept. 11, and his strongest cinematic and political statement at least since ‘Casualties of War,’ his Vietnam film of 1989. .. [it] is a cry of national shame; for De Palma, it’s a new badge of honor for a wily old vet,” according to Time.

The movie’s plot was drawn from a 2006 episode where five U.S. soldiers raped a girl and murdered her and three family members. All involved were jailed for sentences of up to 110 years.

“War movies… show the nature of war,” Kliot said. “There is nothing more incendiary about telling the truth of what is happening in war.”

“Do Americans kill people in wars? Yes … [but] this is pro-American film, this is a pro-troops film… [because it shows the consequences] when soldiers are put in an impossible position,” Kliot said. “Right-wing nut-jobs” criticized the movie even though they had not watched it, he said.

Kliot said his movies show many sides of warfare, and cited his 2005 movie, “The War Within,” which shows a Pakistani man preparing to murder Americans in New York’s Grand Central Station after he was radicalized by U.S. counter-terrorism policy. “’Redacted’ is about ending wars, not starting them,” he said.

[b]In the months after the 9-11 attacks, White House officials complained they had received no support when they had asked Hollywood to produce movies supportive of the U.S. military and its operations.

Instead, Hollywood produced a series of movies critical of President George W. Bush, as well as the Afghanistan and Iraq campaigns.[/b]

The movie made little money in the U.S. and European markets. According to IMDB.com, a website that tracks Hollywood movies and people, “Redacted” made $5 million. There is no data available on the number of pirated copies that have been sold.[/QUOTE]

It's about time liberal Hollywood came back to the side of the good guys and support America instead of blaming her for all the world's ills.....

I thought Bush was the one responsible for producing a new generation of terrorists. Guess not. Good find, Brother Dean. What are you shooting with these days?

[QUOTE=Ernie;4126049]I thought Bush was the one responsible for producing a new generation of terrorists. Guess not. Good find, Brother Dean. What are you shooting with these days?[/QUOTE]

Yes Ernie, that great thinker of our times, Matt Bitonti says for every terrorist killed, 20 more are recruited. Of course that was during George Bush's term. I'm sure it's no longer that way now.... :rolleyes:

Still shooting the gun I bought last year. Haven't bought any since. 40 caliber Smith&Wesson. Holds 14 rounds in the clip plus one in the chamber. Shoots rounds just as fast as I can pull the trigger....:yes:

[IMG]http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/zoom_lg/220023_01_lg.jpg[/IMG]

this is like blaming Black Sabbath cause some teens killed themselves

art cannot be blamed for motivating people to crime. People made those decisions by themselves, it wasn't the movie that committed terror.

remember personal responsibility?

[QUOTE=DeanPatsFan;4126091] Matt Bitonti says for every terrorist killed, 20 more are recruited. [/QUOTE]

dont use my name in vein. I command thee.

Jets Insider VIP
    [IMG]http://access.nscpcdn.com/gallery/i/s/sutherland/KieferSuth_Kambo_8695196.jpg[/IMG]

Terrorist all over the world think this man is their priority target.

Don't like Hollywood? Make your own movies. No one is stopping you.

Oh wait. That's right. You have no talent...which is plain to see in the sh*t that gets churned out of Nashville.

[IMG]http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu190/PlumberKhan/GOP2012.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=DeanPatsFan;4126091]Yes Ernie, that great thinker of our times, Matt Bitonti says for every terrorist killed, 20 more are recruited. Of course that was during George Bush's term. I'm sure it's no longer that way now.... :rolleyes:

Still shooting the gun I bought last year. Haven't bought any since. 40 caliber Smith&Wesson. Holds 14 rounds in the clip plus one in the chamber. Shoots rounds just as fast as I can pull the trigger....:yes:

[IMG]http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/zoom_lg/220023_01_lg.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

You were always the firearms expert of Jetsinsider, that's for sure.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4126095]

[IMG]http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu190/PlumberKhan/GOP2012.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

you're right - the GOP [B]will[/B] be throwing mama from train in 2012. :D

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Ernie;4126125]You were always the firearms expert of Jetsinsider, that's for sure.[/QUOTE]

You got a little something on your chin :eek:

[QUOTE=bitonti;4126092]this is like blaming Black Sabbath cause some teens killed themselves

[/QUOTE]

Or like the left and their allies in the criminal liberal media blaming Sarah Palin for the Giffords shooting in Tucson because she said lock and load......

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Nah, why would you even consider that the movie inspired the guy to go kill two American servicemen, just because the guy himself said the movie inspired the guy to go kill two American servicemen.

Nothing to see here folks, skip to the next story about how Jared Lee Loughner killed all those people because of the Tea Party.

[QUOTE=DeanPatsFan;4126220]Or like the left and their allies in the criminal liberal media blaming Sarah Palin for the Giffords shooting in Tucson because she said lock and load......[/QUOTE]

ah the old 2 wrongs make a right defense.

[QUOTE=shakin318;4126237]Nah, why would you even consider that the movie inspired the guy to go kill two American servicemen, just because the guy himself said the movie inspired the guy to go kill two American servicemen.
    .[/QUOTE]

shakin do you believe Black Sabbath songs made teens kill themselves?

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_Solution[/url]

I will say it again, ART cannot be blamed for people's actions

you guys call yourselves conservatives, what happened to personal responsibility?

if Hollywood is to blame for inspiring this terrorist fellow well then he should be let free. How can he be expected to make rational decisions after watching a MOVIE?

And they should arrest Brian De Palma, right?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti;4126245]shakin do you believe Black Sabbath songs made teens kill themselves?

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_Solution[/url]

I will say it again, ART cannot be blamed for people's actions

[/QUOTE]

No, I believe depression and hopelessness caused by drugs and useless parenting made those kids kill themselves. I love Black Sabbath. And Judas Priest for that matter (no homo).

There's a difference between ART and propaganda, even when the latter tries to parade around as the former.

[QUOTE=shakin318;4126265]
    There's a difference between ART and propaganda, even when the latter tries to parade around as the former.[/QUOTE]

I also love Black Sabbath.

Top Gun was funded by the US Navy it's both art and propaganda.

Im sorry I dont believe people kill other people because a movie told them to...

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    [QUOTE=shakin318;4126265]No, I believe depression and hopelessness caused by drugs and useless parenting made those kids kill themselves. I love Black Sabbath. And Judas Priest for that matter (no homo).

There's a [B]difference between ART and propaganda[/B], even when the latter tries to parade around as the former.[/QUOTE]

You wouldn't mind writing up some guidelines so we can all tell the differences between the two?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Buster;4126274]You wouldn't mind writing up some guidelines so we can all tell the differences between the two?[/QUOTE]

I could explain it to you, but unfortunately I can't understand it for you. So, no.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    [QUOTE=shakin318;4126283]I could explain it to you, but unfortunately I can't understand it for you. So, no.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps u could be the grand inquisitor, censor and bookburner in-chief?

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4126092]this is like blaming Black Sabbath cause some teens killed themselves

art cannot be blamed for motivating people to crime. People made those decisions by themselves, it wasn't the movie that committed terror.

remember personal responsibility?[/QUOTE]
    Your logic fails your here, man. Black Sabbath (actually it was Judas Priest :yes:) did not make a record or a movie to dramatize a real conflict; but an imagined one (my mind is going against me).

This movie was made to dramatize aspects of a real war as told by the artists. They focused all their "creativity" on the dramatic scenes; the rape scene is/was designed to get the response it did: anger and resentment.

This guy (Kliot) is even more delusional than you:

[QUOTE]
    “I honestly had not heard about it,” said one “Redacted” producer, Jason Kliot. “I’m terribly sorry to hear that, [B]but I don’t understand how my movie would impel anyone to commit murder,” he said.[/B]
    [B]
    “The real culprit here is the tragedy of war[/B], it is not Brian De Palma’s brilliant film,” he said.

[U][B]“I don’t see how people would be made to commit acts of violence [after watching “Redacted”], any more than they would for watching Fox News,” Kriot said.[/B][/U]

The movie — which also depicted U.S. soldiers as racist murderers — was released as U.S. forced stepped up their successful offensive against Al-Qaeda in Iraq, Saddam Hussein supporters and Iran-sponsored Shia groups in 2006 and 2007.

The movie was very controversial when it was released.

[B]Then-Rep. Duncan Hunter[/B], the ranking member of the House Armed Services Committee, complained about the movie to the Motion Picture Association of America. [B]The movie “portrays American service personnel in Iraq as uncontrollable misfits and criminals … [/B][and] ignores the many acts of heroism performed by our Soldiers, Marines, Airmen and Sailors in Iraq.”

Public opinion was also mixed, with some critics calling the movie a “terrorist recruiting film.”

“Extra people are going to die because he’s making this movie … not many Americans will see it — but you can bet it’ll be playing on every station over there,” said a 2007 comment by “Witherwings” on the movie-tracking site Rotten Tomatoes.

The movie was praised by such outlets as Time magazine. “It’s an amazingly vigorous work for a filmmaker who turns 67 on Sept. 11, and his strongest cinematic and political statement at least since ‘Casualties of War,’ his Vietnam film of 1989. .. [B][it] is a cry of national shame;[/B] for De Palma, it’s a new badge of honor for a wily old vet,” according to Time.

[B]The movie’s plot was drawn from a 2006 episode where five U.S. soldiers raped a girl and murdered her and three family members. All involved were jailed for sentences of up to 110 years.[/B]

“War movies… show the nature of war,” Kliot said. “There is nothing more incendiary about telling the truth of what is happening in war.”

“Do Americans kill people in wars? Yes … [but] this is pro-American film, this is a pro-troops film… [because it shows the consequences] when soldiers are put in an impossible position,” Kliot said. “Right-wing nut-jobs” criticized the movie even though they had not watched it, he said.

[B]Kliot said his movies show many sides of warfare[/B], and cited his 2005 movie, “The War Within,” which shows a Pakistani man preparing to murder Americans in New York’s Grand Central Station after he was radicalized by U.S. counter-terrorism policy. “’Redacted’ is about ending wars, not starting them,” he said.[/QUOTE]

[B]Kliot said his movies show many sides of warfare[/B]. Yet, he steps away from culpability for 'shaming' the US Troops in the ME.

Kliot knows EXACTLY what he is doing and yet he laughs at "collateral damage" from his efforts. Another hollywood jackass. :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Which have more people derived motivation to kill?

Religious literature...or movies?

<Jeopardy Music>

This is just another example of how easily swayed an influenced people gullible enough to believe in magical sky wizards can be. If someone is ridiculous enough to believe there is a sky ghost living in space that promises eternal life in heaven for doing his bidding...then they're probably ridiculous enough to believe something they see in a movie.

Also...the Islamic a**hole derived motivation from internet blogs/message boards and listened to his Islamo-music via his iPod before carrying out the murders. Perhaps the internet and .mp3 formatted music should be perma-banned....
    Last edited by PlumberKhan; 09-02-2011 at 03:58 PM.