Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cool Rock and Roll fun facts thread

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;4127556]Scientists are baffled by the existence of Steve Miller.[/QUOTE]

lmao

:D

Jets Insider VIP
    Radiohead got their name from a Talking Heads song...

...which is horrible because the Talking Heads are good and Radiohead sucks balls...

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4127658]Radiohead got their name from a Talking Heads song...

...which is horrible because the Talking Heads are good and Radiohead sucks balls...[/QUOTE]

Kinda like Lady Gaga getting her name from Queen. Crazy!!!!!!!!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=cr726;4127663]Kinda like Lady Gaga getting her name from Queen. Crazy!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Or Godsmack getting their name from an Alice in Chains song.... :D

I think the world has just run out of ideas...

Rush bassist/vocalist/keyboardist Geddy Lee's given name was actually Gary Lee Weinrib. Whilst guitarist Alex Lifeson was born, Aleksandar Živojinović.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=shakin318;4127460]I got permanent hearing loss in my left ear at a Clash/Who concert at Shea in 1982, standing 10 feet from the stage.

whut?[/QUOTE]

I was at that show too. A friend just recently sent me a bootleg of it.

R&R fact: David Johansen was the first act on stage that night.

[QUOTE=crossfire;4127810]I was at that show too. A friend just recently sent me a bootleg of it.

R&R fact: [B]David Johansen was the first act on stage that night.[/B][/QUOTE]

Only reason I know this fact is because Staten Island is where I grew up: Johansen was born in the Borough of Richmond. Also from "the Island": Bassist/vocalist (Joan Jett, Utopia, Meatloaf, amongst others) Kasim Sultan; Earl Slick (born Frank Madaloni), guitarist for Bowie, John Lennon and many others; Vito Bratta, guitarist for White Lion; and A.J. Pero, drummer for Twisted Sister.

Before morphing into one of the fathers of heavy metal with his seminal band, Motörhead, Ian Fraser Kilmister--better known as "Lemmy"--was a member (bass/vocals) of the tripped out/hippie/space rock group, Hawkwind.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tDgzBd2hD4[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    During the recording of "Gimme Shelter" the producer, Jimmy Miller, thought they should should try a female voice for one of the verses. They called Merry Clayton during the middle of the night and asked her if she wanted to sing on a Stones song. Unbeknownst to the producer, Clayton was pregnant but she got out of bed and went to the studio and laid down one of the most powerful, haunting vocals in rock history.

Upon returning home, she suffered a miscarriage, apparently from the strain of working to hit the high notes.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJDnJ0vXUgw[/url]

In a bit of premonition/irony/tragedy, Marc Bolan--killed as his Mini GT, driven by girlfriend/mother of his son (Gloria Jones), Rolan Bolan, slammed into a tree on their way home from partying--never learned to drive. The reason he often gave for not learning was that he always feared an early death. Bolan died on September 16, 1977, two weeks before his 30th birthday.

Jets Insider VIP
    In 1959, Waylon Jennings was hired by Buddy Holly to be his bass player. After a show in Iowa, JP Richardson (The Big Bopper) developed a case of flu and asked Jennings for his seat on the plane.

When Buddy Holly heard that Jennings wasn't going to go on the plane but had to take a bus from Clear Lake, Iowa to Fargo, ND instead, he laughed and said, "Well, I hope your ol' bus freezes up". Jennings laughed and said, "Well, I hope your ol' plane crashes".

Those words haunted Jennings all his life.

Hall Of Fame
    Lynard Skynard was named after their gym teacher?

Too easy?

_

Jets Insider VIP
    Stevie Nicks slept with every guy in Fleetwood Mac?

Too easy? :D

Hall Of Fame
    This will take you a while.

Pretty cool stuff.

[url]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/general_music/101_things_you_didnt_know_about_rock_n_roll.html[/url]

_

"Pinball Wizard", with its iconic opening riffs, and the biggest hit from The Who's rock opera, [I]Tommy[/I], was not included on Townshend's original concept. The song was written by Townshend after The Who had performed several of what would become the album's songs for rock critic, Nik Cohn, who found the tunes too morose and thought the album needed a lighter song. Knowing Cohn was a pinball fanatic, Townshend penned the up tempo number, which became an instant classic.

Chrissie Hynde, gifted singer/songwriter/guitarist of The Pretenders, had a child out of wedlock with rock & roll icon, Ray Davies (The Kinks). She later married quasi-rock singer, Jim Kerr of Simple Minds, and had another offspring. Kerr and Hynde later divorced.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0cLm0R0fok[/url]

SAR cut his two-week honeymoon in Italy a day short to make it back to see Oasis, 5th row center. A few weeks after playing before 500,000 people at Knebworth, the band came to the US and played to 11,000 in New York.

SAR I

Caravan is the best thing rush has done in 30 years....but they won't finish the fvcking album.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btoEgIlhbUc[/url]

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;4127830]Before morphing into one of the fathers of heavy metal with his seminal band, Motörhead, Ian Fraser Kilmister--better known as "Lemmy"--was a member (bass/vocals) of the tripped out/hippie/space rock group, Hawkwind.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tDgzBd2hD4[/url][/QUOTE]

Lemmy was booted out of Hawkwind at the Canadian/US border when it was determined by Canadian authorities that the rest of the band could enter, but not Lemmy (drug possession or something along those lines.)

He had to hitchike back to NYC to catch a flight back to Heathrow.

Contrary to popular belief...prog is not dead. In fact, it is better than it has ever been:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2SXUQ83VAY[/url]