Thread: GE "all in" on aviation deal with China

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

GE "all in" on aviation deal with China

Obama's "jobs" Czar :rotfl:

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. At a General Electric flight simulator here, the visibility has been set at near zero to mimic thick rain and clouds. But a video console near the pilot shows a vivid picture of nearby mountains precise enough to allow a plane to take off or land despite the conditions.

The system is one of several highly valuable next-generation technologies that GE has developed and that the company has passed along to China as part of a joint venture with the state-owned Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC).

[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/ge-all-in-on-aviation-deal-with-china/2011/07/17/gIQAgPmTXJ_story.html[/url]

"American taxpayers subsidized the development of this advanced technology, but U.S. taxpayers' investment will end up creating jobs in China. In the short term, GE is selling products to the Chinese, which will help GE's bottom line. In the long term, the Chinese will end up manufacturing and selling products using the same technologies that were made in America," commented Congressman Dennis Kucinich.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Obama really IS a jobs guy... just not here.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    we live in a global economy. if some dude in China works at their GE plant and then buys an apple Iphone in his private time, that's the circle of life.

what's the alternative? US Gov't force GE to create jobs here? that doesn't sound very free market...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4129663]we live in a global economy. if some dude in China works at their GE plant and then buys an apple Iphone in his private time, that's the circle of life.

what's the alternative? US Gov't force GE to create jobs here? that doesn't sound very free market...[/QUOTE]

Gov't subsidies don't sound very free market either.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always get a warm and fuzzy feeling every time I buy a Made in China product, don't you?

[url]http://www.suite101.com/content/anti-suicide-nets-to-prevent-suicides-at-chinese-factory-foxconn-a243365[/url]

It's that same feeling I get while watching Schindler's List.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Frequent Flyer;4129681]I always get a warm and fuzzy feeling every time I buy a Made in China product, don't you?

[url]http://www.suite101.com/content/anti-suicide-nets-to-prevent-suicides-at-chinese-factory-foxconn-a243365[/url]

It's that same feeling I get while watching Schindler's List.[/QUOTE]

so... why are you buying them?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4129756]so... why are you buying them?[/QUOTE]

Nothing else is available.

It ticks me off because the products are garbage. I had a Microwave over for almost twenty years, it finally broke, I bought a brand new one by Proctor Silex made in China and it broke after 6 months.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Frequent Flyer;4129761]Nothing else is available.
    [/QUOTE]

fyi only 2.7% of American spending are on products made in china.

[quote]
    Convinced that everything you buy these days has a Made-in- China label?

Then you aren't paying attention. Things made in the U.S.A. still dominate the American marketplace, according to a new study by economists at the San Francisco Federal Reserve.

Goods and services from China accounted for only 2.7% of U.S. personal consumption spending in 2010, according to the report titled "The U.S. Content of 'Made in China.' " [b]About 88.5% of U.S. spending last year was on American-made products and services.[/b]

[url]http://articles.latimes.com/2011/aug/13/business/la-fi-made-in-china-20110813[/url]
    [/quote]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4129785]fyi only 2.7% of American spending are on products made in china.[/QUOTE]

What does the raw data tell you?

Spending on what products exactly?

What are the parameters for the data obtained?

Have we increased $ spent on Chinese products within the last decade or decreased?

What total dollar amount (%) is lost when purchasing a Chinese product?

I could go on and on but these are all questions that pertain to the topic being discussed.

I'd do it myself but the link was blocked at work for whatever reason.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4129849]What does the raw data tell you?

Spending on what products exactly?

What are the parameters for the data obtained?

Have we increased $ spent on Chinese products within the last decade or decreased?

What total dollar amount (%) is lost when purchasing a Chinese product?

I could go on and on but these are all questions that pertain to the topic being discussed.

I'd do it myself but the link was blocked at work for whatever reason.[/QUOTE]

here's another link to the same story from drudge

[url]http://www.drudge.com/news/147291/27-us-purchases-made-china[/url]

the article goes on to say that even buying a product produced in China, 55% of that dollar stays in America. Distribution, retail etc.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4129663]we live in a global economy. if some dude in China works at their GE plant and then buys an apple Iphone in his private time, that's the circle of life.

what's the alternative? US Gov't force GE to create jobs here? that doesn't sound very free market...[/QUOTE]

Come on Man, With their 2 bucks a day?

The world according to Bit; OJ is innocent, Michael Jackson was great with children, Che was a "freedom" fighter and Obamba can do no wrong.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4129785]fyi only 2.7% of American spending are on products made in china.[/QUOTE]

OK.

What's the other 97.3% spent on? Gasoline?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Frequent Flyer;4129957]OK.

What's the other 97.3% spent on? Gasoline?[/QUOTE]

Im sure that's part of it. Read the article.

by the way this was a study done by the San Fran office of the federal reserve bank, not a partisan group

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4129966]Im sure that's part of it. Read the article.

by the way this was a study done by the San Fran office of the federal reserve bank, not a partisan group[/QUOTE]

I read somewhere spending on Chinese products has increased each year...

I believe your 55 cents to every dollar line but it is still alarming that it continues to increase...

We all know why it is increasing but people choose to downplay it because we can't protect businesses properly to manufacture services at home...

The point is moot in general. We still employ people to transport the goods, to sell the goods, to market the goods, etc...

But that increases the price on the goods which should in essence be relatively small considering the initial value of said goods if purchased in China...

There are tons of things to talk about.

Buying Chinese made TV's from Sony is not one of them.

By the way, Drudge link didn't work.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I heard GE had originally planned to buile their aerospace plant in South Carolina, but when they saw how Obama screwed Boeing they changed their minds and shifted to China.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Frequent Flyer;4129547]Obama's "jobs" Czar :rotfl:

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. At a General Electric flight simulator here, the visibility has been set at near zero to mimic thick rain and clouds. But a video console near the pilot shows a vivid picture of nearby mountains precise enough to allow a plane to take off or land despite the conditions.

The system is one of several highly valuable next-generation technologies that GE has developed and that the company has passed along to China as part of a joint venture with the state-owned Aviation Industry Corporation of China (AVIC).

[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/ge-all-in-on-aviation-deal-with-china/2011/07/17/gIQAgPmTXJ_story.html[/url]

"American taxpayers subsidized the development of this advanced technology, but U.S. taxpayers' investment will end up creating jobs in China. In the short term, GE is selling products to the Chinese, which will help GE's bottom line. In the long term, the Chinese will end up manufacturing and selling products using the same technologies that were made in America," commented Congressman Dennis Kucinich.[/QUOTE]

This should come in handy when the Mainland takes Taiwan by force, and threatens Japan, South Korea, and Vietnam. So its win-win for China and GE. :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Frequent Flyer;4129957]OK.

What's the other 97.3% spent on? Gasoline?[/QUOTE]

yes - we give that money to people who despise us.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4129756]so... why are you buying them?[/QUOTE]

Well if you have your way, I won't have any choice as far as light bulbs go.

LMAO