View Poll Results: Is the recent extreme weather related to global climate change?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this is a result of climate change.

8 44.44%
  • No, this is a fluke, there is no climate change.

10 55.56%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: extreme weather

extreme weather

just wondering what people think of the latest weather... in regards to climate change

and just to be clear what I mean by latest weather...

according to NOAA:

"There have been 10 major weather disasters this year, leaving more than 700 people dead and causing more than $35 billion in damage..."

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I think it has to do with the BP oil spill. The earth lost so much lubrication, she's running hot.

[QUOTE=shakin318;4129962]I think it has to do with the BP oil spill. The earth lost so much lubrication, she's running hot.[/QUOTE]

you had time for a funny comment but no time to click either yes or no?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=bitonti;4129964]you had time for a funny comment but no time to click either yes or no?[/QUOTE]

I was in before the poll. You don't present enough options....I think there needs to be a "This is normal when viewing a large enough data set" or something like that...I don't think the "fluke" answer is really appropriate.

[QUOTE=shakin318;4129967]I was in before the poll. You don't present enough options....I think there needs to be a "Th[B]is is normal when viewing a large enough data set[/B]" or something like that...I don't think the "fluke" answer is really appropriate.[/QUOTE]

+1

Bolded would have had my vote.

[QUOTE=shakin318;4129967]I was in before the poll. You don't present enough options....I think there needs to be a "This is normal when viewing a large enough data set" or something like that...I don't think the "fluke" answer is really appropriate.[/QUOTE]

i dont see a difference between "NO this is a fluke" and "this is normal" they are basically saying the same thing. a fluke event can be considered normal when viewing a large data set

All Pro
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4129981]+1

Bolded would have had my vote.[/QUOTE]

And it's a completely irrelevant point. Throughout the history of the Earth, the planet has gone from fireball earth to snowball earth and everything in between. So "normal when viewing a large enough dataset" is pretty meaningless.

[QUOTE=parafly;4129985]And it's a completely irrelevant point. Throughout the history of the Earth, the planet has gone from fireball earth to snowball earth and everything in between. So "normal when viewing a large enough dataset" is pretty meaningless.[/QUOTE]

So is truly believing that in the vast history of this globe we continue to cause irreparable damage to it...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=parafly;4129985]And it's a completely irrelevant point. Throughout the history of the Earth, the planet has gone from fireball earth to snowball earth and everything in between. So "normal when viewing a large enough dataset" is pretty meaningless.[/QUOTE]

Ok. So we'll narrow down the dataset to August, 2011:

Pretty nice...pretty nice....really nice....really nice......[B][SIZE="3"]HOLY SH:T THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END!!!! [/SIZE][/B]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4129990]So is truly believing that in the vast history of this globe we continue to cause irreparable damage to it...[/QUOTE]

Continue to cause damage, yes. Irreparable, no.

Jets Insider VIP
    The Weather Channel said it was because of "El Nina".

Which is problematic because:

1. Whatever happened to "El Nino"? The male weather phenomenon. How did it change sex? Because storms are a b1tch? Is it transgendered? Did its employer pay for the operation? NEED MORE INFO!

2. Spanish rules for gender: its either El Nino or La Nina. If it is trangendered, maybe it should be in quotes ( "El Nina").

All Pro
    [QUOTE=quantum;4130002]The Weather Channel said it was because of "El Nina".

Which is problematic because:

1. Whatever happened to "El Nino"? The male weather phenomenon. How did it change sex? Because storms are a b1tch? Is it transgendered? Did its employer pay for the operation? NEED MORE INFO!

2. Spanish rules for gender: its either El Nino or La Nina. If it is trangendered, maybe it should be in quotes ( "El Nina").[/QUOTE]

It is "El Nino" and "La Nina," and both are caused by water temperatures in the Pacific (a radical idea that climate affects weather). You must have heard wrong.

We need a Likert scale for this, would be more appropriate.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=parafly;4130009]It is "El Nino" and "La Nina," and both are caused by water temperatures in the Pacific (a radical idea that climate affects weather). You must have heard wrong.[/QUOTE]

nope - thats what was said. I picked up on it because of the Spanish thing.

I thought weather was different from climate?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=pauliec;4130103]I thought weather was different from climate?[/QUOTE]

that was last week.

This week? When aliens finally come, it will be to enslave us, eat us, or change our climate.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Of course there is climate change, there always has been.

In the 80's there was the 'global cooling' fear, were were headed for another ice age.
    Now it's global warming, except that last winter was the coldest one in decades.

In the 90's we had watering restrictions because we were headed toward a drought on the easter seaboard.

This past August was the rainiest on record.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4129983]i dont see a difference between "NO this is a fluke" and "this is normal" they are basically saying the same thing. a fluke event can be considered normal when viewing a large data set[/QUOTE]

The editors at Wikipedia must have a field day with you when you provide "facts" for entries if you feel the above statements are synonymous and not leading.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel_word[/url]

Is this thread serious? :eek:

[QUOTE=bitonti;4129959]just wondering what people think of the latest weather... in regards to climate change

"[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDWGKQcQ8zw[/url]