Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Sept. 7th (R) Debate, and Race(ism)

The Sept. 7th (R) Debate, and Race(ism)

Simple Question:

Why did they feel the need to pull out a Hispanic Reporter from Telemundo to ask only one question, specificly a question of illegal immigration?

With two white, anglo-saxon, men moderating the debate (not exactly diverse), how did it make you feel seeing them trot out the hispanic to ask the border question? Do it imply bias, racism, something else...or nothing?

And why was this reporter not simply a co-moderator for the entire debate, perhaps replacing on oft he other two, as opposed to just getting to ask one question?

Why were no women moderators? No GLBT Moderators? No minority Moderators?

For all they speak on the topic, it would appear the media still has a long way to go in fostering a diverse workplace in the on-air talent for major events.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4132178]Simple Question:

Why did they feel the need to pull out a Hispanic Reporter from Telemundo to ask only one question, specificly a question of illegal immigration?

With two white, anglo-saxon, men moderating the debate (not exactly diverse), how did it make you feel seeing them trot out the hispanic to ask the border question? Do it imply bias, racism, something else...or nothing?

And why was this reporter not simply a co-moderator for the entire debate, perhaps replacing on oft he other two, as opposed to just getting to ask one question?

For all they speak on the topic, it would appear the media still has a long way to go in fostering a diverse workplace in the on-air talent for major events.[/QUOTE]

You watched the debate and that's the question that you walked away with?

You so crazy!

My take:

Romney: Looked polished and ready.
    Perry: Looked like a caricature.
    Bachmann: Looked lost.
    Paul: Stream of consciousness.
    Burger Guy: Looked like good VP material.
    Huntsman: Wished he spoke more.
    Santorum: lolz. Douche.

For all they speak on the topic, it would appear the media still has a long way to go in fostering a diverse workplace in the on-air talent for major events.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if I agree totally with you about on-air talent, I thought the running joke was how every reporter had to have a Hispanic name and look Asian.

I think you are right that people don't get it. I think they feel as though if they do something like that it shows diversity, but it just seems phony.

I remember years ago when the Lions were looking for a coach and they hired Steve Mariucci. Under league rules they had to interview minority candidates before they could hire him. Everyone knew though that they were hiring Mariucci, his contract was either up or he was fired that year from the 49ers and all the speculation was that he was the number 1 target. I remember analysts talking like it was a done deal.

How did it feel then to be a minority candidate going through the motions with the interview process simply for appearance? I think the minority hiring plan the NFL has in place has accomplished some good hires, but in a case as clear cut as the Lions in order to avoid a fine (I think) they had to march guys in, which to me, is almost more of an insult to minority head coaches and head coaching candidates then helpful.

I thought of that when you mentioned this one Hispanic reporter who got to ask one question. It just seems insulting more than inclusive.

It seemed strange to have thge question, but you don't put some secondary Hispanic guy out there to be the prime guy. Not racism. Same with women. Who is there?

Jets Insider VIP

I thought it was funny that they did that. Obviously racist but to a lib they were throwing him a bone so to speak. My problem with the debate though is that they pretty much played to Romney and Perry. Ron Paul was asked few questions and he made a remark at one point that he couldn't believe that they didn't ask him the medical question since he is a doctor. Also Herman Cain was asked about 2 total questions. Very disappointing.

Jets Insider VIP
    Who the hell is Burger Guy? Or did you mean Pizza Guy? :confused:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=quantum;4132217]Who the hell is Burger Guy? Or did you mean Pizza Guy? :confused:[/QUOTE]

He's both. Used to run a bunch of sh*t for Burger King.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JiJRdZshwo[/url]

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4132187]
    My take:

Romney: Looked polished and ready.
    [/QUOTE]

Definitely the most prepared for this election.

It isn't even close...

Ask MSNBC. Illegals shouldn't be part of the conversation IMHO. They are not citizens and shouldn't be voting or receiving benefits from this country.

[QUOTE=piney;4132189]It just seems insulting more than inclusive.[/QUOTE]

Good post para, I agree.

I find often that many people/organizations/industries talk a good game about "issue X", but when one looks at the details, they really do not live up to any of their own ideals or rhetoric. The emdia is certainyl not alone in this failing, hypocricy and insult.

I think the after show analysis that MSNBC put on was enough of an embarrassment to overshadow their absurd racist trotting out of a telemundo reporter on the immigration question.

Between Odonell, Maddow, Shultz and Sharpton they had the who's who of wacky left wing loons analyzing a GOP debate. They couldn't throw in a token RINO like Scarboro to at least try to seem balanced??? What an embarrassment.

[QUOTE=chiefst2000;4132293]Between Odonell, Maddow, Shultz and Sharpton[/quote]

Fair and balanced imo.

I wonder if FOX would have Rush, Hannity, Levin and Beck do a post-debate analysis of a Democratic Party debate one day.

Both last nights follow-up, and the idea above, were ro would be very entertaining.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4132293]I think the after show analysis that MSNBC put on was enough of an embarrassment to overshadow their absurd racist trotting out of a telemundo reporter on the immigration question.

Between Odonell, Maddow, Shultz and Sharpton they had the who's who of wacky left wing loons analyzing a GOP debate. They couldn't throw in a token RINO like Scarboro to at least try to seem balanced??? What an embarrassment.[/QUOTE]

+1

Well worth the hissy fit to not have Obummer speak at the same time. The debate and post-debate was absolutely riveti..Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4132307]+1

Well worth the hissy fit to not have Obummer speak at the same time. The debate and post-debate was absolutely riveti..Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz[/QUOTE]

Be fair now, it served a vital purpose.

It showed that the media is going to give attention only to Texas Slang Perry and to Slick Romeny.

The other contestants may as well drop out of the race now.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4132299]I wonder if FOX would have Rush, Hannity, Levin and Beck do a post-debate analysis of a Democratic Party debate one day.[/QUOTE]

I would guess yes.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4132307]+1

Well worth the hissy fit to not have Obummer speak at the same time. The debate and post-debate was absolutely riveti..Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz[/QUOTE]

For me it is a lot more interesting and insightful to listen to our next president detail what they will do to get this country back on track.

Tonight's Obama rehash of the same failed crap he conned us in to believing in 2009 re the stimulus package is a tool for the Obama campaign to use to at least try to paint the Republicans as obstructionists. Little of what he proposes has a chance of getting passed and the chances of anything he will say having an effect on jobs and the economy is even smaller.

[QUOTE=FF2;4132318]I would guess yes.[/QUOTE]

Democrats generally refuse to do debates sponsored by Fox news. If they did I can guarantee you that the post debate analysis would include Democratic strategists like Bob Beckel and Juan Williams.

[QUOTE=chiefst2000;4132293]I think the after show analysis that MSNBC put on was enough of an embarrassment to overshadow their absurd racist trotting out of a telemundo reporter on the immigration question.

Between Odonell, Maddow, Shultz and Sharpton they had the who's who of wacky left wing loons analyzing a GOP debate. They couldn't throw in a token RINO like Scarboro to at least try to seem balanced??? What an embarrassment.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was hilarious. But I give Shultz credit for at least making the attempt to evaluate it as a GOP primary debate, a fact which he felt compelled to point out constantly to excuse his opinion that Perry did well.

I thought that Williams and Harris were similary schewed as moderators. Many of their questions were on issues which are either of little interest or of a settled nature in GOP circles. i.e. The death penalty in Texas. Really, how many GOP voters give two ****s about whether Perry is losing sleep over the dirtbags that are executed in Texas.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;4132401]I thought it was hilarious. But I give Shultz credit for at least making the attempt to evaluate it as a GOP primary debate, a fact which he felt compelled to point out constantly to excuse his opinion that Perry did well.

I thought that Williams and Harris were similary schewed as moderators. Many of their questions were on issues which are either of little interest or of a settled nature in GOP circles. i.e. The death penalty in Texas. Really, how many GOP voters give two ****s about whether Perry is losing sleep over the dirtbags that are executed in Texas.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was great that the executions got a round of applause and the moderator looked visably shaken and appalled. Perry's answer was perfect.

[QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;4132401]I thought it was hilarious. But I give Shultz credit for at least making the attempt to evaluate it as a GOP primary debate, a fact which he felt compelled to point out constantly to excuse his opinion that Perry did well.

I thought that Williams and Harris were similary schewed as moderators. Many of their questions were on issues which are either of little interest or of a settled nature in GOP circles. i.e. The death penalty in Texas. Really, how many GOP voters give two ****s about whether Perry is losing sleep over the dirtbags that are executed in Texas.[/QUOTE]

The whole thing was comical. Oddly of all of them to me Sharpton sounded the most sane. That's not an endorsement of him so much as a tribute to the others on the panel. Also that guy O'donnel just comes off as mean spirited and bitter. That guy needs to get on some meds or something. I watched a bit of it for the comedy aspect but couldnt really stomach too much.

As for the debate itself I thought Romney won it hands down. There was not a second place in my opinion. For the first time I'm actually excited about the prospects of a Romney presidency. His points about buying out troubled companies at Bain and having successes and failures turning them around and how he learned from the experiences really hit home for me. The guy was just solid.

Perry was just OK and for me showed that this stage might be a little to big for him. Bachman was invisible. Paul came off as a loon. I like Cain as a person but not as a President. He does not do a great job of explaining his ideas. The 999 plan was interesting but more in theory. Theres no chance that such a plan would ever be enacted and no evidence that it would work. Gingrich is an unlikeable guy but he seems to have good policy ideas. The rest of them were meh.