View Poll Results: Does the Climate of the Earth Change over Time?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes it does change over time.

16 94.12%
  • No it does not change over time.

0 0%
  • What is a climate? Is that like a rain thingy? Where is my remote, this show is boring.

1 5.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Poll to Honor Bitonti's Cause: Does the Climate of the Earth Change over Time?

A Poll to Honor Bitonti's Cause: Does the Climate of the Earth Change over Time?

Regardless of causes and contributors (since Bit adamanetly refuses that the man-caused portion is part fo his question, only "climate change" is), DOES the climate of planet Earth change over time in any way?

Does the Climate of the Earth Change over Time? i.e. Is Climate Change (a changing climate over time due to any number fo factors) real?

Yes it's real, the climate changes, or no it's no real, the climate never changes?

Yes.

Or No.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4132267]Regardless of causes and contributors (since Bit adamanetly refuses that the man-caused portion is part fo his question, only "climate change" is), DOES the climate of planet Earth change over time in any way?

Does the Climate of the Earth Change over Time? i.e. Is Climate Change (a changing climate over time due to any number fo factors) real?

Yes it's real, the climate changes, or no it's no real, the climate never changes?

Yes.

Or No.[/QUOTE]

Don't be a dick.

Jets Insider VIP
    Climate change occurs with us. Climate change occurs without us. It occurred before man walked this planet. It occurs now. It will continue to occur when we're gone.

I keep hearing how much people like me don't acknowledge this. Hope that was clear enough.

What is missed completely every time (or willfully ignored) is that there is not compelling scientific evidence that truthfully exists that tells me that we as a race are a major factor in that cycle.

[QUOTE=FF2;4132279]Don't be a dick.[/QUOTE]

How am I being a dick?

Bit has stated clearly today that his only goal on the issue of climate is "to get people to believe that climate change is real", and he states that most here do not believe it it real.

Perhaps he is right, hence the poll. Is climate change real or does the climate never change?

Since he refuses adamanetly to state he is discussing man-caused climate change, where man is the primary and majority factor, I had to leave it out of the poll. Thats on him, I gave him more than enough opportunity to answer tehse questions in detail, in any way he choose. He choose not to use man-caused, so hence I did not use man-caused.

Why do you care anyway FF? Most of your time on the forum is spent trolling people, myself among them, with cute little posts of off topin non-substance. A rather dick'ish thing to do, if I am permitted to say so.

Maybe we're two birds of a feather then. Expect I actually hit topics, whereas you just troll topics.;)

By the way, I notice you took the time to call me a dick, but didn't take the time (or cannot answer) the question posed by the poll. Do you not have an opinion on the topic, or is calling me a dick all you have for today FF?

Hall Of Fame
    Climate Change is just a normal fluke.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4132290]How am I being a dick?

Bit has stated clearly today that his only goal on the issue of climate is "to get people to believe that climate change is real", and he states that most here do not believe it it real.

Perhaps he is right, hence the poll. Is climate change real or does the climate never change?

Since he refuses adamanetly to state he is discussing man-caused climate change, where man is the primary and majority factor, I had to leave it out of the poll. Thats on him, I gave him more than enough opportunity to answer tehse questions in detail, in any way he choose. He choose not to use man-caused, so hence I did not use man-caused.

Why do you care anyway FF? Most of your time on the forum is spent trolling people, myself among them, with cute little posts of off topin non-substance. A rather dick'ish thing to do, if I am permitted to say so.

Maybe we're two birds of a feather then. Expect I actually hit topics, whereas you just troll topics.;)

By the way, I notice you took the time to call me a dick, but didn't take the time (or cannot answer) the question posed by the poll. Do you not have an opinion on the topic, or is calling me a dick all you have for today FF?[/QUOTE]

You of all people should know you don't call out someone in a thread title.:rolleyes:

I didn't answer the "poll" because the "poll" is asinine.

[QUOTE=FF2;4132298]You of all people should know you don't call out someone in a thread title.:rolleyes:

I didn't answer the "poll" because the "poll" is asinine.[/QUOTE]

Then by all means, report me FF. You might want to delete the personal attack of calling me a "dick" tho first. Just for looks and all.

But I'd love to hear, assuming you read the exchange between Bit and I today, how this poll is "asinine".

Funny too, you didn't call Bit's very similar but clearly-poorly-worded poll yesterday asinine.

Guess I just don't live up to your trolly expectations.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4132308]Then by all means, report me FF. You might want to delete the personal attack of calling me a "dick" tho first. Just for looks and all.

But I'd love to hear, assuming you read the exchange between Bit and I today, how this poll is "asinine".

Funny too, you didn't call Bit's very similar but clearly-poorly-worded poll yesterday asinine.

Guess I just don't live up to your trolly expectations.[/QUOTE]

I didn't see Bits poll. And in truth yes, you failed to meet my expectations. As I've said before I always read your posts because you are a bright guy and I enjoy your thoughts. Your points are well thought out and always thought provoking. And no, I'm not going to report you. I'm just saying in order for the discussion to remain civil, as I'm sure you want, calling out someone like that doesn't help.

In this case, I think you were just being a dick.

Jets Insider VIP
    yes

Dinosaurs farting caused the last Ice Age.

The next one? People who eat regularly at Taco Bell.

hey man I have more than one cause.

[QUOTE=FF2;4132332]I'm just saying in order for the discussion to remain civil, as I'm sure you want, calling out someone like that doesn't help.

In this case, I think you were just being a dick.[/QUOTE]

I can only hope, after all these years and all these words, but Bit himself gets me a little better than that FF. I consider him to be one of my best and longest serving e-friends on JI, without qustion.

[QUOTE=bitonti;4132342]hey man I have more than one cause.[/QUOTE]

I know bro, but the "Rehabilitate the image of D-Rob as a dominant professional D-lineman" comittee meets on Fridays. Not Thursdays.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4132492]
    I know bro, but the "Rehabilitate the image of D-Rob as a dominant professional D-lineman" comittee meets on Fridays. Not Thursdays.[/QUOTE]

i wasn't insulted by this thread... until now ;)

[QUOTE=bitonti;4132583]i wasn't insulted by this thread... until now ;)[/QUOTE]

You do know you and I are JI's old married bickering couple, right?

Not that there is anything wrong with that, of course.

All League
    Yes it does change over time by itself.

But human pollution can alter/accelerate that change.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4132718]Yes it does change over time by itself.

But human pollution can alter/accelerate that change.[/QUOTE]

Too logical. You have to adopt the Republican Orb of Confusion to understand:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpflEPzZoN8[/url]

"Derp. The smell of my house changes over time. But me eating a quart of expired yogurt and then filling my pants with loose stool did little to change the smell of the living room. It's natural for my house to smell like sh*t..."

[QUOTE=Warfish;4132492]I can only hope, after all these years and all these words, but Bit himself gets me a little better than that FF. I consider him to be one of my best and longest serving e-friends on JI, without qustion.
    [/QUOTE]

I didn't say you weren't.

Just said you were being a dick.

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4132718]Yes it does change over time by itself.

But human pollution can alter/accelerate that change.[/QUOTE]

Makes perfect sense to me.

The question then is "...to what degree".

And there is where I think we'd disagree, or Bit and I would disagree.

While I have no problem with the idea that human contribution, of all stripes, could potentially be major factors, I do not agree that it is proven science that we ARE the primary factor. It is my reading of this forum/politics, that Bit, and our other resident left-leaners, believe it is unquestionable prooven that we are the primary and driving factor, and other factors have been eliminated as potential primary causes.

As I always say, I love science and despise pollution, and science is one spending item I am almost always willing to support State funding for (assuming it's not shrimp on treadmills or other, similar, wasteful sillyness).

Climate Science? I'm all for funding it. IF the research is impartial, and does not approach the question with preconceived prewritten conclusions. Keep the politics out, and I'll be happy to see my tax money spent on the topic, both for tangible gains (early warning systems for weather events and the like) and long-term planning wisdom.

It should also be said, I walk the walk as well. Drive an effecient car, don't each much (if any) meat, have low-cost home energy and use it sparring when possible and much much more.
    Last edited by Warfish; 09-08-2011 at 05:57 PM.

All League
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4132762]Makes perfect sense to me.

The question then is "...to what degree".

And there is where I think we'd disagree, or Bit and I would disagree.

While I have no problem with the idea that human contribution, of all stripes, could potentially be major factors, I do not agree that it is proven science that we ARE the primary factor. It is my reading of this forum/politics, that Bit, and our other resident left-leaners, believe it is unquestionable prooven that we are the primary and driving factor, and other factors have been eliminated as potential primary causes.

As I always say, I love science and despise pollution, and science is one spending item I am almost always willing to support State funding for (assuming it's not shrimp on treadmills or other, similar, wasteful sillyness).

Climate Science? I'm all for funding it. IF the research is impartial, and does not approach the question with preconceived prewritten conclusions. Keep the politics out, and I'll be happy to see my tax money spent on the topic, both for tangible gains (early warning systems for weather events and the like) and long-term planning wisdom.

It should also be said, I walk the walk as well. Drive an effecient car, don't each much (if any) meat, have low-cost home energy and use it sparring when possible and much much more.[/QUOTE]

Environmentalists and "anti-environmentalists" are too polarized. I don't see it that way.

I want to aggressively research solar energy. That means I want to spend tax payer money on solar research - a whole boatload of it.

Energy and our environmental future are 21st century problems, and blowing up/drilling into the Earth are 20th century solutions.

Do we contribute to global warming? It's near universally accepted from elite scientists from all cultures and countries that we are. If your point is "to what extent", well, how about we slow down (and stop) some of behaviors that we know for sure are not good.

I don't think that's unreasonable.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4132818]Environmentalists and "anti-environmentalists" are too polarized. I don't see it that way.

I want to aggressively research solar energy. That means I want to spend tax payer money on solar research - a whole boatload of it.
    [/QUOTE]

Why don't you just invest your own money rather than taking money from others?

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4132818]
    Energy and our environmental future are 21st century problems, and blowing up/drilling into the Earth are 20th century solutions.

Do we contribute to global warming? It's near universally accepted from elite scientists from all cultures and countries that we are. If your point is "to what extent", well, [B]how about we slow down (and stop) some of behaviors that we know for sure are not good.[/B]

I don't think that's unreasonable.[/QUOTE]

Like what?

All League
    [QUOTE=Trades;4132835]Why don't you just invest your own money rather than taking money from others?[/QUOTE]

Because I don't have enough to make a difference. I'm 25 and I don't have any money to invest - well, I did just "invest" in a slingbox for my parents house so I can watch my Jets out here in Boulder.

[QUOTE=Trades;4132835]Like what?[/QUOTE]

Phase out coal burning.

Higher emissions standards in vehicles in the interim.

Build more high speed rail.

If solar power charged a battery and that battery powered your car? I mean, that's not such a "far out" inconceivable notion. The Chinese and the Indians are buying and driving more and more cars as they develop. If the two most populous nations in the world drive even half as much as Americans, that's only going to compound the greenhouse effect. Stands to reason we should be doing something to make the automobile environmentally responsible. Not to mention that with those increase in drivers and automobile owners, the price of gasoline will only go up and the supply will be less.