Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama Job Proposal

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Obama Job Proposal

how are the House GOP gonna reject a payroll tax that they proposed? I'm sure they'll find a reason to hate it.

[quote]
    "You should pass this jobs plan right away," Obama defiantly told joint session of Congress filled with enthusiastic Democrats and skeptical Republicans. "There should be nothing controversial about this piece of legislation. Everything in here is the kind of proposal that's been supported by both Democrats and Republicans, including many who sit here tonight. And everything in this bill will be paid for."

[url]http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/story/2011-09-08/Obama-unveils-447B-jobs-package/50327464/1[/url][/quote]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4132919]I'm sure they'll find a reason to hate it.[/QUOTE]

Sure.

50% payroll tax cut?

F*CKING OBAMA!!! WHARGHARBLLLEEE!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a Bush Tax Cut, but he wants to spend more money.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    "And everything in this bill will be paid for."

:pinocchio

:jets17

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4132919]how are the House GOP gonna reject a payroll tax that they proposed? I'm sure they'll find a reason to hate it.[/QUOTE]

It is a start. Once he says how he will pay for it then it can really be evaluated. Once thing I am curious about is he really limiting the jobs that can be saved and/or created to teachers, fire fighters and cops or was that an example?

I really liked when he talked about regulatory changes, almost as much as I liked when he talked about transparancy in his administration. Of course we know how the transparancy turned out so I am not holding my breath but if we do cut a lot of useless and wasteful regulations I would commend him.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not being a wiseguy here but what did he actually say last night? It seemed like nothing to me...

It will be payed for - how?

Jobs for teachers - don't my property taxes determine the amount of teachers in my area?

saving jobs - wasn't that what the stimulus was supposed to do?

"You should sign this bill right away" - "Yes we can"

what did all the babbling about Lincoln have to do with a jobs bill?

I did like the fact that he wants to give tax breaks to companies employing American workers, enough with shipping jobs overseas.

Who is going to pay. this is the question.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4133301]I'm not being a wiseguy here but what did he actually say last night? It seemed like nothing to me...
    [/QUOTE]

In summary: "While the trillion-dollar stimulus plan was an epic fail, I am now proposing a retread half-trillion-dollar stimulus plan -- except this time nobody is allowed to call it a 'stimulus' plan."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4132919]how are the House GOP gonna reject a payroll tax that they proposed? I'm sure they'll find a reason to hate it.[/QUOTE]

Is Congress allowed to pick and choose which parts to pass, or is it all or nothing?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;4133400]Is Congress allowed to pick and choose which parts to pass, or is it all or nothing?[/QUOTE]

im sure it's a negotiation

another part of the bill I really like is the infrastructure spending. there are tons of bridges and roads that are basically decayed... we talk about making this country great again... spending money on infrastructure is a no-brainer. It's guaranteed to pay dividends. It's not a waste, and it has to be done sooner or later.

they built the Hoover Dam during the Great depression, and it led to decades of prosperity in the American West... now is the time for these types of projects.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4133425]im sure it's a negotiation

another part of the bill I really like is the infrastructure spending. there are tons of bridges and roads that are basically decayed... we talk about making this country great again... spending money on infrastructure is a no-brainer. It's guaranteed to pay dividends. It's not a waste, and it has to be done sooner or later.

they built the Hoover Dam during the Great depression, and it led to decades of prosperity in the American West... now is the time for these types of projects.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't there supposed to be a ton of these infrastructure projects from the first stimulus? "Shovel ready" projects as well as big bold visionary projects? Zero oversight led to all that money basically being pissed away, and we're worse off than we were before the "stimulus." How is this new stimulus going to be any different?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;4133435]Wasn't there supposed to be a ton of these infrastructure projects from the first stimulus? "Shovel ready" projects as well as big bold visionary projects? Zero oversight led to all that money basically being pissed away, and we're worse off than we were before the "stimulus." How is this new stimulus going to be any different?[/QUOTE]

fwiw shakin alot of infrastructure was built in the first stimulus. there's a ton still left to do.

remember the interstate highway project was in the late 1940's - 1950's, alot of these bridges are at the end of their life span. many generations benefit from that work.

Whether you like Obama or not, these jobs have to be done. Or they will just fall apart during rush hour like that interstate bridge in MN a couple years ago.

there's no political angle where we can justify not doing at least some of this work. it's like saying I need to save money, I won't take my heart medication until I have more money. That's dumb... the infrastructure is the arteries of the USA.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4133441]fwiw shakin alot of infrastructure was built in the first stimulus. there's a ton still left to do.

remember the interstate highway project was in the late 1940's - 1950's, alot of these bridges are at the end of their life span. many generations benefit from that work.

Whether you like Obama or not, these jobs have to be done. Or they will just fall apart during rush hour like that interstate bridge in MN a couple years ago.

there's no political angle where we can justify not doing at least some of this work. it's like saying I need to save money, I won't take my heart medication until I have more money. That's dumb... the infrastructure is the arteries of the USA.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% with rebuilding/repairing/building new infrastructure. If those things resulted from the first stimulus, the Obama administration is sure doing a sh:tty job of telling us about it -- and why wouldn't they be touting these successes if they existed? Lastly, those projects were supposed to result in jobs. Where are they?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;4133459]I agree 100% with rebuilding/repairing/building new infrastructure. If those things resulted from the first stimulus, the Obama administration is sure doing a sh:tty job of telling us about it -- and why wouldn't they be touting these successes if they existed? Lastly, those projects were supposed to result in jobs. [B]Where are they[/B]?[/QUOTE]

They'll be visible as soon as their new CBA is signed. Until then, they're on a "coffee break."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;4133435]Wasn't there supposed to be a ton of these infrastructure projects from the first stimulus?

"Shovel ready" projects as well as big bold visionary projects?

Zero oversight led to all that money basically being pissed away, and we're worse off than we were before the "stimulus." [/QUOTE]

Well, not totally pissed away...we got some really cool sign out of it.

[IMG]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_RZxlYx1u9Jc/S0uEoJqpopI/AAAAAAAABAo/SPtzlVRjWeU/s400/Shovel+Ready+Project.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://step.nyserda.org/Shovel-Ready.jpg[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4133441]fwiw shakin alot of infrastructure was built in the first stimulus. there's a ton still left to do.

there's no political angle where we can justify not doing at least some of this work. it's like saying I need to save money, I won't take my heart medication until I have more money. That's dumb... the infrastructure is the arteries of the USA.[/QUOTE]

Why will they only fall apart during rush hour? This is throwing good money after bad in my opinion. As others have said we were supposed to do this work with the first trillion. How is it that the first trillion didn't produce many jobs or infrastructure improvements. Also as someone esle said, if this happened the administration would be screaming it from the roof tops.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4133488]Why will they only fall apart during rush hour? This is throwing good money after bad in my opinion. [/quote]

roads and bridges don't last forever. We can rebuild em now or we can rebuild em later when they fall down, but we have to rebuild em.

[QUOTE=Trades;4133488]
    As others have said we were supposed to do this work with the first trillion. How is it that the first trillion didn't produce many jobs or infrastructure improvements. [/quote]

this is not true. The non partisan CBO said the 1st stim did create jobs, and it did create infrastructure, but not enough of either.

[QUOTE=Trades;4133488]
    Also as someone esle said, if this happened the administration would be screaming it from the roof tops.[/QUOTE]

Saying No and waiting until 2013 isn't a plan. 1 party being totally obstructionist is not how this country is supposed to work. It's a 2 party system and their must be compromise.

and not that you will agree with me, but the way I see the job the GOP did during Bush years was so disgraceful, they have to make it up to America. We can afford to bomb and then rebuild bridges in Iraq no problem but we can do it in America? i call BS. the GOP should prove to America that it wants to govern in a positive way, no one will elect a GOP candidate for President on an obstructionist, saying no to everything vision for America

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

the amount of money spent monitoring, overseeing, creating layers and layers of federal, state and county ineffective clock watching jobs suck out the marrow of this porkulus bill and barely any will be put in pavement.

we have 3 generations of families ALL living off civil service jobs sucking the money from the private sector. This did not exist in 1940 to 1950. THAT is why we have no money for infrastructure.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4133510]THAT is why we have no money for infrastructure.[/QUOTE]

We would if we didn't spend a trillion dollars on sh*thole Iraqistan.

But GOPers just love those camel jockeys so darn much that they just couldn't be helped rebuilding their infrastucture.

I mean...just look at them:
    [IMG]http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2004/11/10/image655000x.jpg[/IMG]

They're just so gosh darn cute with their turbans and their LA LA LA LA....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4133505]roads and bridges don't last forever. We can rebuild em now or we can rebuild em later when they fall down, but we have to rebuild em.
    [/QUOTE]

No kidding. My question is why you go with the scare tactic of "they will fall down during rush hour" rahter than just say they need to be repaired.

[QUOTE=bitonti;4133505]
    this is not true. The non partisan CBO said the 1st stim did create jobs, and it did create infrastructure, but not enough of either.
    [/QUOTE]

Where are the numbers? Please point to the site that lists the improvements in the unemployment numbers in the construction sector and the dollars commited to completed or ever progressing projects from the first trillion? I think we need to know where the first bag of money went before we give them a second one to spend.

[QUOTE=bitonti;4133505]
    Saying No and waiting until 2013 isn't a plan. 1 party being totally obstructionist is not how this country is supposed to work. It's a 2 party system and their must be compromise.

and not that you will agree with me, but the way I see the job the GOP did during Bush years was so disgraceful, they have to make it up to America. We can afford to bomb and then rebuild bridges in Iraq no problem but we can do it in America? i call BS. the GOP should prove to America that it wants to govern in a positive way, no one will elect a GOP candidate for President on an obstructionist, saying no to everything vision for America[/QUOTE]

I have told you in the past that I was not fond of Bush's spending but I think it is silly to try to hold an entire party responsible especially when Pelosi, Reed and the rest of congress had their hand in the spending as well.

I already said I think the proposed cuts to payroll taxes seem like a good idea but you can't judge it until you find out where the money is coming from. The republicans have PUBLISHED many complete plans yet the Dems can't even come up with a budget. Announcing a plan with a "we will tell you how we will pay for it later but you need to pass this ASAP" is total BS politicing at its best.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    My favorite part of the speech was it's all paid for. Every politician wants to spend now and pay later. Spending now blows up the ballon while they are in office. Paying for it later lets air out of the economy on some one elses watch. Problem is some one else never really wants to let the air out of the ecconomy which is why we are where we are. A private sector deleveraging with a public sector leveraged to an unsustainable point.

I would love for someone to show me all the projects that the government wants to build instead of all the money they want to spend. We couldn't even spend the first stimulus because there weren't enough shovel ready jobs. Where is the infrastructure planning? It's now year 3.