Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rick Gosselin: Expect a New and Improved Mark Sanchez this Season

Veteran

Rick Gosselin: Expect a New and Improved Mark Sanchez this Season

[url]http://www.sunherald.com/2011/09/08/3412697/expect-a-new-and-improved-mark.html[/url]

[B]Expect a new and improved Mark Sanchez for Jets this season[/B]
    By RICK GOSSELIN - The Dallas Morning News
    RICK GOSSELIN The Dallas Morning News

The Dallas Cowboys should see a different Mark Sanchez in the season opener than the NFL has seen the last two years from the New York Jets quarterback.

Sanchez was the fifth overall selection of the 2009 draft. Coach Rex Ryan plugged him in right away as the starter, and the Jets went to the AFC Championship Game in each of Sanchez's two seasons.

But Sanchez has been a member of the supporting cast thus far in his career, handing the ball off on offense and watching from the sideline as the Jets played suffocating defense.

Sanchez finished 28th in the NFL in passing as a rookie and 27th in 2010. His penchant for turnovers didn't damage the Jets, though, because they finished in the top 5 in rushing and defense both seasons to claim wild-card playoff berths.

But all that should change in 2011. Expect Sanchez to make a quantum leap with his game this fall.

Long-time readers of my NFL draft coverage know I'm not a fan of college quarterbacks leaving school early for the NFL. The more snaps a quarterback takes on campus, the more pass coverages and blitzes he sees, and the better prepared he is for an NFL career.

Peyton Manning remained at Tennessee for four seasons, throwing 1,381 college passes. Philip Rivers spent four seasons at North Carolina State and threw 1,665 passes. The same with Drew Brees and Carson Palmer - four seasons on campus and more than 1,500 career passes.

All quickly developed into elite NFL quarterbacks, in large part, because of their college experiences. They were ready for the next challenge when they arrived in the NFL.

Sanchez was not. He started only one season at Southern Cal before applying for early admission to the 2009 draft. He left college having thrown only 487 passes. His lack of pocket presence and experience translated into 20 interceptions and 10 fumbles his rookie year.

In his first two NFL seasons, Sanchez passed for fewer than 200 yards in 18 of his 31 starts. He failed to throw a touchdown pass in 11 games and didn't pass for 300 yards until his 23rd career start. His lack of experience was holding him back.

[B]But over these last four years - two at Southern Cal and two with the Jets - Sanchez has thrown 1,358 passes. That's still fewer than Manning threw in four seasons coming out of Tennessee.[/B]

But those 1,358 passes have finally allowed Sanchez to see what he has needed to see at the quarterback position to build a memory bank. All those throws have given Sanchez the experience to survive and the confidence to thrive in the NFL.

Now Sanchez is ready to become a full-service NFL quarterback. Ryan has named him a team captain and expects Sanchez to compete with the Tom Bradys and Mannings for AFC Pro Bowl spots.

[B]Sanchez has the talent to do just that.[/B] :yes: He also has the weapons. Ryan has assembled a receiving corps this season that has been battle-tested at the highest level.

Both Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress have caught game-winning touchdown passes in Super Bowls. Derrick Mason also has caught passes in a Super Bowl and is closing in on 1,000 career receptions.

Once again, Ryan has predicted the Jets will win the Super Bowl. With the maturation of Sanchez, Ryan may finally have a quarterback capable of delivering on his prediction.

The Cowboys will be the first team to see the new and improved Sanchez. Rob Ryan would be wise not to underestimate his brother's quarterback.

Awesome read. Thanks.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Well he improved in every single passing category from 2009 to 2010, hopefully he can do that again. I'm thinking 60% completion, 25 TD's, 12 INT's.

Jets Insider VIP
    This is a great article because it doesn't just restate what everyone says article after article; and provides fresh insight into why Sanchez wasn't so accurate the last two seasons. Great, Great Read.....

Thank you:yes:

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4133897]Well he improved in every single passing category from 2009 to 2010, hopefully he can do that again. I'm thinking 60% completion, 25 TD's, 12 INT's.[/QUOTE]

I expect his stats to show improvement but I want to see him play like the guy that takes over at the end of the game throughout the game. No floundering about like he would in 1st quarters last season.

Veteran
    All he needs to do is eliminate the slow starts.
    Seems like he can't complete a pass or it gets knocked down early in every game.
    Lose that, and we have a Franchise QB.

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4133897]Well he improved in every single passing category from 2009 to 2010, hopefully he can do that again. I'm thinking 60% completion, 25 TD's, 12 INT's.[/QUOTE]

Those numbers and 35-3600 yards are what i'd be hoping for.

Veteran

I predicted 63% comp 26 td 11 ints. If either of us is right, we'll all be happy....except SAR and bless his heart he'll complain after we win the superbowl.

Veteran

That's one of my dreams for this year.

i think he will improve as well - and for some reason i think our run offense will not be as good as the past two years, so he will be forced to throw more.

I don't think Sanchez will ever throw INTs as low as close to 10.

61%
    3000 yards
    29 TDs
    20 INTs

All League
    [QUOTE=Darth Vader;4134012]i think he will improve as well - and for some reason i think our run offense will not be as good as the past two years, so he will be forced to throw more.

I don't think Sanchez will ever throw INTs as low as close to 10.

61%
    3000 yards
    29 TDs
    20 INTs[/QUOTE]

He only threw 13 last year...
    Also, you claim he's going to throw MORE than last year? 3000 yards? He had almost 3300 last year..

Suck it, Magnus

[QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4134043]Suck it, Magnus[/QUOTE]

Rick doesn't have anything on Magnus or DBAKE, those two are the most unbiased pair you've seen. Haven't you heard Ray Ray? :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Nice read I certainly hope he is right. This might be me being a worry wort but I am worried about the oline especially the depth. Not having Woody hurts. If anybody goes down we are in trouble. In addition Greene has to prove he is a more durable back. As a result of the oline and Greene's durability it could curtail Sanchez's numbers.
    I would be happy with 60% completion rate 25 TD's and 15 Int's and 3,600 yards from Sanchez.

Well, I guess I just don't understand the article? It says to get ready for a new and improved Mark Sanchez. So where is the new and improved part?

He's the same QB he always was. Maybe he was alluding to the fact that Sanchez will have much more freedom at the LOS this season?

[QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4134043]Suck it, Magnus[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]Sanchez finished 28th in the NiFL in passing as a rookie and 27th in 2010. His penchant for turnovers didn't damage the Jets, though, because they finished in the top 5 in rushing and defense both seasons to claim wild-card playoff berths.[/QUOTE]

So this didn't give anyone any pause? I hope he does become Mr superhero. I dont want what he has given before unlike some posters who claim he already has shown he is elite. Be elite and then I'll believe it.
    TALK IS CHEAP PUT UP OR SHUT UP MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[QUOTE=Mainejet;4134083]Well, I guess I just don't understand the article? It says to get ready for a new and improved Mark Sanchez. So where is the new and improved part?

He's the same QB he always was. Maybe he was alluding to the fact that Sanchez will have much more freedom at the LOS this season?[/QUOTE]

Young players tend to develop into better players as they gain more experience :rolleyes:

All League
    [QUOTE=Magnus;4134087] So this didn't give anyone any pause? [B]I hope he does become Mr superhero.[/B] [/QUOTE]

bull schidt.

[QUOTE=Magnus;4134087]TALK IS CHEAP PUT UP OR SHUT UP MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/QUOTE]

you've said this before. can you post a link where Mark is "talking?" i've not known him to be braggadocios about anything...his performance, his philanthropy, his conquests. nuthin'.

Wow- I second all thanks...that was a great article.
    Finally a solid reason to believe he could be an asset to the team rather that artificial platitudes.
    We'll know on Sunday...however.

[QUOTE=Bronxville Jets Fan;4133882][url]http://www.sunherald.com/2011/09/08/3412697/expect-a-new-and-improved-mark.html[/url]

[B]Expect a new and improved Mark Sanchez for Jets this season[/B]
    By RICK GOSSELIN - The Dallas Morning News
    RICK GOSSELIN The Dallas Morning News

The Dallas Cowboys should see a different Mark Sanchez in the season opener than the NFL has seen the last two years from the New York Jets quarterback.

Sanchez was the fifth overall selection of the 2009 draft. Coach Rex Ryan plugged him in right away as the starter, and the Jets went to the AFC Championship Game in each of Sanchez's two seasons.

But Sanchez has been a member of the supporting cast thus far in his career, handing the ball off on offense and watching from the sideline as the Jets played suffocating defense.

Sanchez finished 28th in the NFL in passing as a rookie and 27th in 2010. His penchant for turnovers didn't damage the Jets, though, because they finished in the top 5 in rushing and defense both seasons to claim wild-card playoff berths.

But all that should change in 2011. Expect Sanchez to make a quantum leap with his game this fall.

Long-time readers of my NFL draft coverage know I'm not a fan of college quarterbacks leaving school early for the NFL. The more snaps a quarterback takes on campus, the more pass coverages and blitzes he sees, and the better prepared he is for an NFL career.

Peyton Manning remained at Tennessee for four seasons, throwing 1,381 college passes. Philip Rivers spent four seasons at North Carolina State and threw 1,665 passes. The same with Drew Brees and Carson Palmer - four seasons on campus and more than 1,500 career passes.

All quickly developed into elite NFL quarterbacks, in large part, because of their college experiences. They were ready for the next challenge when they arrived in the NFL.

Sanchez was not. He started only one season at Southern Cal before applying for early admission to the 2009 draft. He left college having thrown only 487 passes. His lack of pocket presence and experience translated into 20 interceptions and 10 fumbles his rookie year.

In his first two NFL seasons, Sanchez passed for fewer than 200 yards in 18 of his 31 starts. He failed to throw a touchdown pass in 11 games and didn't pass for 300 yards until his 23rd career start. His lack of experience was holding him back.

[B]But over these last four years - two at Southern Cal and two with the Jets - Sanchez has thrown 1,358 passes. That's still fewer than Manning threw in four seasons coming out of Tennessee.[/B]

But those 1,358 passes have finally allowed Sanchez to see what he has needed to see at the quarterback position to build a memory bank. All those throws have given Sanchez the experience to survive and the confidence to thrive in the NFL.

Now Sanchez is ready to become a full-service NFL quarterback. Ryan has named him a team captain and expects Sanchez to compete with the Tom Bradys and Mannings for AFC Pro Bowl spots.

[B]Sanchez has the talent to do just that.[/B] :yes: He also has the weapons. Ryan has assembled a receiving corps this season that has been battle-tested at the highest level.

Both Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress have caught game-winning touchdown passes in Super Bowls. Derrick Mason also has caught passes in a Super Bowl and is closing in on 1,000 career receptions.

Once again, Ryan has predicted the Jets will win the Super Bowl. With the maturation of Sanchez, Ryan may finally have a quarterback capable of delivering on his prediction.

The Cowboys will be the first team to see the new and improved Sanchez. Rob Ryan would be wise not to underestimate his brother's quarterback.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=JamaicanJetFan;4134028]He only threw 13 last year...
    Also, you claim he's going to throw MORE than last year? 3000 yards? He had almost 3300 last year..[/QUOTE]

sorry meant 3900 yards...the first 0 was a typo

61%
    3900 yds
    29 TDS
    20 INTs