Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: light bulb ban

light bulb ban

ah... the light bulb ban

ever put your hand next to an old school bulb?

it's hot as hell

most sciency people agree the old light bulbs are not efficient.

most of the energy is being turned into heat

a small amount is being turned into light

it's the biggest single source of energy usage in the avg american house. like 7%. more than the fridge, tv everything else.

now I'm not gonna sit here and pretend flur light is pleasant and riskfree (the mercury is scary). but cmon people. why is this such a problem?

It is called freedom of choice, but I do use the compact flourescents. It is my choice!

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    yeah!!!

if i choose to dig a pit in my backyard and use it as the crapper that is my choice, too!

:steamin:

[QUOTE=bitonti;4134299]
    now I'm not gonna sit here and pretend flur light is pleasant and riskfree (the mercury is scary). but cmon people. why is this such a problem?[/QUOTE]

I think you just answered your own question.

The LED bulbs look promising, but they don't give off 360 degrees of light and they're about $60/bulb.

Banning something that's cheap, effective, harmless, and has been around forever is a silly waste of time. Just give the consumers options, and make the prices attractive.

[QUOTE=bitonti;4134299]

it's the biggest single source of energy usage in the avg american house. like 7%. more than the fridge, tv everything else.

[/QUOTE]

Umm wrong as usual.

Space heating is the single largest source of energy usage in US households.... It accounts for 41% of most households energy usage. Lighting/appliances take up 26%....

Jets Insider VIP
    Freedom of choice.

If this generation wants to piss away the energy for future generations, that's their prerogative. As the baby boomer generations wanes from existence, their selfishness will be their legacy.

I have bulbs in my house that give off the same bandwidth of light as an incandescent, uses sodium vapor instead of mercury and costs 1/2 of what a CFL does.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Why not combine lighting..... with your cooking needs?

-

Same reason hybrid cars have not taken off. It seems like a good idea until you look at the increased price of purchase and potential repairs down the road that do not outweigh the minimal financial incentives and tax breaks that quickly phase out. If the prices came down then it would be a consideration. Nice try but a swing and a miss Brother Bitonti.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=32green;4134392]Why not combine lighting..... with your cooking needs?

-[/QUOTE]

EZ Bake Oven already beat you to this one.

let me just add... energy is a big issue... how we make it... where we get it from... how much it costs... we can say it's a freedom of choice issue but it's also a national security issue... a common good issue... the more energy this nation needs, the more of a liability we are... the energy to power lightbulbs doesn't come for free like magic. yes you can buy it but we all need it.

Put it another way I could turn my garden hose on, pour it down the sewer and that's "freedom of choice" as long as I pay my water bills right? well there's the idea of common good.

lets imagine a house during the hot weather, using a ton of energy for air conditioning... well the lights are like little heaters, it's a double energy hit. HOw much of this country depends on AC? like all of the South... a little change like light bulbs could make a huge difference.

and just to prove im not a partisan hack this was a GOP idea (W Bush) and a good one.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4134571]and just to prove im not a partisan hack this was a GOP idea (W Bush) and a good one.[/QUOTE]

Conservation laws are good.

But in a country that 60% fat motherf***ers, it'll never get enough traction. People don't give a ****. They don't care that reducing consumption will benefit future generators.

All they care about is the new bulbs don't give them enough light to pick the corns on their feet while they watch reality TV.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4134571]let me just add... energy is a big issue... how we make it... where we get it from... how much it costs... we can say it's a freedom of choice issue but it's also a national security issue... a common good issue... the more energy this nation needs, the more of a liability we are... the energy to power lightbulbs doesn't come for free like magic. yes you can buy it but we all need it.

Put it another way I could turn my garden hose on, pour it down the sewer and that's "freedom of choice" as long as I pay my water bills right? well there's the idea of common good.

lets imagine a house during the hot weather, using a ton of energy for air conditioning... well the lights are like little heaters, it's a double energy hit. HOw much of this country depends on AC? like all of the South... a little change like light bulbs could make a huge difference.

and just to prove im not a partisan hack this was a GOP idea (W Bush) and a good one.[/QUOTE]

You clearly have no concept of a free society.

The "common good" is a nice ideal for you. One we actually share. IMO the mark of a responsible adult. But there's a thing about opinions. Yours is not for everyone. If someone decides they want to pour their water down the sewer, that is absolutely in their right. Maybe he's a a-hole, but he isn't infringing on my rights or yours.

This is why we have state and local governments. So on a local level, people can decide if these "common good" issues are what's right for them. If there's a regulation in your town you don't like, you still have the CHOICE to buy your light bulbs in the next town over or move to a state where water dumping is ok.

But as soon as you institute these things on a federal level, you remove ALL choice. Freedom, liberty to make your own life decisions (provided those decisions do nothing to inhibit another man's freedom) - is the most important thing that we have. It is what this country was built on, what made it a desirable, thriving nation throughout history. But many are willing to piss that all away until we reach the point of an extreme police state, simply because there's a contingency of people who think they know what is best for us all.

PS Nothing in your above post will be changing anyone's mind on what a partisan hack you are.

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4134567]EZ Bake Oven already beat you to this one.[/QUOTE]

Betty Crocker!

LMAO

[QUOTE=bitonti;4134571]lwe can say it's a freedom of choice issue but it's also a national security issue... a common good issue... [/QUOTE]

The Common Good™

[IMG]http://thepeoplescube.com/images/Header_Rhetoric.gif[/IMG]

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4134598]

This is why we have state and local governments. So on a local level, people can decide if these "common good" issues are what's right for them. If there's a regulation in your town you don't like, you still have the CHOICE to buy your light bulbs in the next town over or move to a state where water dumping is ok.

But as soon as you institute these things on a federal level, you remove ALL choice. [/QUOTE]

people vote for federal office holders. You have a choice if you don't like it. move to Canada. I don't understand why everyone has great respect for state laws but federal gov't is a bastard. It's all gov't in some form or another.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4134579]But in a country that 60% fat motherf***ers, it'll never get enough traction. People don't give a ****.

They don't care that reducing consumption will benefit future generators.[/QUOTE]

Having just went powerless for a week and in the market for an alternative energy source in upcoming outages....

I too am in favor of anything that benefits future generators.

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4134598] If someone decides they want to pour their water down the sewer, that is absolutely in their right. Maybe he's a a-hole, but he isn't infringing on my rights or yours.
    .[/QUOTE]

there is a finite supply of potable water just like there is a finite supply of energy. Wasting it may not infringe on anyone's rights, but it's not in the best interest of the community.

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4134598]You clearly have no concept of a free society.

The "common good" is a nice ideal for you. One we actually share. IMO the mark of a responsible adult. But there's a thing about opinions. Yours is not for everyone. If someone decides they want to pour their water down the sewer, that is absolutely in their right. Maybe he's a a-hole, but he isn't infringing on my rights or yours.

But as soon as you institute these things on a federal level, you remove ALL choice. Freedom, liberty to make your own life decisions (provided those decisions do nothing to inhibit another man's freedom) - is the most important thing that we have. It is what this country was built on, what made it a desirable, thriving nation throughout history. But many are willing to piss that all away until we reach the point of an extreme police state, simply because there's a contingency of people who think they know what is best for us all.

PS Nothing in your above post will be changing anyone's mind on what a partisan hack you are.[/QUOTE]

I normally don't agree with Bit on any issue, so this isn't me having some political agenda to tend to...I'm just correcting something as I see fit.

I'm commenting directly on your post: you're wrong about your definition of common good in relation to a free society. Negative externalities infringe upon common good, and neither has to do with free society because under both theories, freedom of choice is assumed. So of course pouring water down the sewer is your choice and if I don't like it I can move, but in the long term that is a moral hazard which: can be penalized by the govt, or will be naturally penalized when fresh water supplies deteriorate and we end up paying more than we'd like to pour water down sewers. Either way, there will be correction...therefore, imposing financial detractions (aka fines) does not eliminate your free will in the short run, it just makes you recalibrate your utilization sensitivities.

Anyway, carry on ;)

[QUOTE=bitonti;4134625]there is a finite supply of potable water just like there is a finite supply of energy. Wasting it may not infringe on anyone's rights, but it's not in the best interest of the community.[/QUOTE]

Nothing matters to these guys until it has an effect on them. Being an azzhole is cool, as long as you win the very weak argument.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4134299]

now I'm not gonna sit here and pretend flur light is pleasant and riskfree [B](the mercury is scary)[/B]. but cmon people. why is this such a problem?[/QUOTE]

I would say that is an understatement. I would also say that the government and associated industries have been very cavalier in how they convey the potential danger posed by mercury, a potent neurotoxin, especially in a powder form. That's the biggest problem I have with the whole thing.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4134382]Freedom of choice.

[B]If this generation wants to piss away the energy for future generations, that's their prerogative. As the baby boomer generations wanes from existence, their selfishness will be their legacy.
    [/B]
    I have bulbs in my house that give off the same bandwidth of light as an incandescent, uses sodium vapor instead of mercury and costs 1/2 of what a CFL does.[/QUOTE]

I think that sums it up