Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanchez's ESPN QBR Rating!??!?!

Sanchez's ESPN QBR Rating!??!?!

So as we all know, ESPN came up with the new QBR rating for Quarterbacks, which is on a scale from 1-100. The best scores are typically around 80-90 (This week's best score is Ryan Fitzpatrick's 91.2).

However, Sanchez, despite completing 60% of his passes for over 320 yards and 2 TD's, has the [B][I]4th LOWEST QBR in the LEAGUE[/I][/B]!! That's 30th best in the league! [B][I]30TH?!?!? [/I][/B]ESPN has Sanchez at an embarrassing [I][B]17.6[/B][/I] [B][I]QBR[/I][/B], behind:

Colt McCoy (19-40, 213 yds, 2 td, 1 int)
    McNabb (7-15, 39 yds, 1 td, 1 int)
    Tavaris Jackson (21-37, 197 yds, 2 td, 1 int)
    Sam Bradford (17-30, 188 yds, 0 tds, 0 int)

I wouldn't say Sanchez had a GREAT game, but definitely a decent one and CERTAINLY not the 4th worst game in the league. [I][B]His NORMAL QB Rating is 88.7, good for 17th best in the league. [/B][/I]That makes much more sense and feels about right.

I'm calling shennanigans on ESPN's QBR!!!!
    Last edited by Foley21; 09-13-2011 at 10:47 AM.

I'm outraged.

I thought the QBR was supposed to factor in things like how much pressure you're facing...

If throwing for 320ish yards and 2 TD's (1 INT) while running for your life is deserved of a 17.6 'QBR' well, then their system is broken...

This brings to mind the quote "Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics."

Let me guess, Henne is ranked in the top ten. If so, then that's all that needs to be said about this system's methodology.

All Pro
    And Ryan Fitzpatrick's rating was #1, ahead of Brady, Rodgers and Brees.

As always, take QB ratings with a grain of salt.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... hahahaha ... find it funny that this is what propels you to your 1 post a year! :cool::D ... who cares? ... does sound like thats off ... do they say reasons for it? ... i agree with you that sounds too low ... he def had a shaky moment or two ... so i wouldn't put him too high either ... not really something i care much about one way or the other though ...

l_j_r

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4141906]I thought the QBR was supposed to factor in things like how much pressure you're facing...

If throwing for 320ish yards and 2 TD's (1 INT) while running for your life is deserved of a 17.6 'QBR' well, then their system is broken...[/QUOTE]

In this system Brady's throw to Welker (99 yd. TD) was discounted because it came at a "realtively meaningless" point in the game. :rolleyes:

Sanchez and the Jets are 1-0. That is most important stat!

Clearly, his GQ spread was factored in.

All those QBs you listed lost, so hey, whatever.

All League
    [QUOTE=Foley21;4141899]So as we all know, ESPN came up with the new QBR rating for Quarterbacks, which is on a scale from 1-100. The best scores are typically around 80-90 (This week's best score is Ryan Fitzpatrick's 91.2).

However, Sanchez, despite completing 60% of his passes for over 320 yards and 2 TD's, has the [B][I]4th LOWEST QBR in the LEAGUE[/I][/B]!! ESPN has Sanchez at an embarrassing [I][B]17.6[/B][/I] QBR, behind:

Colt McCoy (19-40, 213 yds, 2 td, 1 int)
    McNabb (7-15, 39 yds, 1 td, 1 int)
    Tavaris Jackson (21-37, 197 yds, 2 td, 1 int)
    Sam Bradford (17-30, 188 yds, 0 tds, 0 int)

I wouldn't say Sanchez had a GREAT game, but definitely a decent one and CERTAINLY not the 4th worst game in the league.

[B]I'm calling shennanigans on ESPN's QBR[/B]!!!![/QUOTE]

Agree. I was looking thRoUgh the breakdown of how they get the number and was shocked to see you get 50 points right off the bat if yoUR name is Tom Brady. Doesn't seem fair.

Seriously though, Donovan McNabb is 2 spots higher than Sanchez on that list and he threw for like 39 yards. Seems retarded.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=FF2;4141918]In this system Brady's throw to Welker (99 yd. TD) was discounted because it came at a "realtively meaningless" point in the game. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I hate when they try to add context to stats because they never get it right. They try to factor in clutch ratings, but leave out the stength of the opponent's defense.

To anybody who watched the games, Brady, Rodgers and Brees were as impressive as it gets this week.

Fitzpatrick had a good game but didn't get to 250 yards and it was a blowout against a lousy team.

Down by 7 in the third quarter what did he do? Int
    Down by 7 in the 4th quarter what did he do? fumble
    Tie game 2 minute left what did he do? punt
    Given ball at 32 yard line what did he do? no yards.
    Entire half until 2minutes left what did he do? Nothing

He had 2 drives for a td the whole game one down by 10 the other down by 14.

The fact that posters actually started threads boasting how great Sanchez was is embarrassing to all jet fans. To have such low expectations that this was considered a great game for your franchise third year 17 mill QB says a lot.
    Last edited by Magnus; 09-13-2011 at 10:59 AM.

Who cares? :huh:

[QUOTE=Magnus;4141948]down by 7 in the third quarter what did he do? Int
    given ball at 32 yard line what did he do? no yards.

The fact that posters actually started threads boasting how great Sanchez was is embarrassing to all jet fans. To have such low expectations that this was considered a great game for your franchise third year 17 mill QB says a lot.[/QUOTE]

Didn't say he is great and said he didn't have a great game. But to say he was the 30th best quarterback in the league this weekend is asinine.

You may be a Sanchez hater, but to discount the quality of his game completely just shows how dumb you really are.

[QUOTE=FF2;4141918]In this system Brady's throw to Welker (99 yd. TD) was discounted because it came at a "realtively meaningless" point in the game. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Don't care if they were up by 964 points...

You go in a no back set, with an all out blitz coming, at your own half yard line...

How is that not accounted for?

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Magnus;4141948]Down by 7 in the third quarter what did he do? Int
    Given ball at 32 yard line what did he do? no yards.

The fact that posters actually started threads boasting how great Sanchez was is embarrassing to all jet fans. To have such low expectations that this was considered a great game for your franchise third year 17 mill QB says a lot.[/QUOTE]
    You're a dick and you suck ass. But you bring up a good point. Sanchez who's rep is that he runs a great 2 minute drill and shows up in the clutch failed where he usually shines. The fumble I don't blame on him since he got pressured quickly and from the right side of his line which was weak all day.

But the following drive? He should have taken that in like he normally does. He disappointed there and the only excuse for that was that he hadn't seen the field in over 5 minutes but thats really invalid. All that being said...

He threw for 59%, 2 tds, 335 yds and had no running game or pocket.
    Last edited by kdelgado; 09-13-2011 at 11:14 AM.

The completion percent was misleading also. He had two lateral passes that went for no yards and 2 passes completed short for a third down. Take away those 4 passes and he had his regular 55% game.
    Last edited by Magnus; 09-13-2011 at 11:16 AM.

the problem with any formula is that it can't possibly take into account the circumstances of the game. nationally televised? time of game? weather conditions? national importance (9/11 ceremony)? quality of opponent or defensive gameplan? the stats are just numbers, they don't tell how a qb may avoid a blitz and complete a 6 yd pass to extend a drive. in the stats it's just a 6 yd completion, maybe under pressure. but the true importance of such a play can't possibly be measured.

All League
    [QUOTE=Magnus;4141993]The completion percent was misleading also. He had to lateral passes that went for no yards and 2 passes completed on shorst for a third down. take away those 4 passes and he had his regular 55% game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah take away short passes because they shouldn't count. Are you really that dumb or are you Kellen Clemens?