Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mitt Romney: Can Someone Explain Why He's a Leading Candidate?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Mitt Romney: Can Someone Explain Why He's a Leading Candidate?

Because I'm not getting it, listening to him on the debates.

If I had to bet today, I still bet Obama defeats Romney by 10% or more.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    he is the Republican candidate who is closest to the center

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buster;4142001]he is the Republican candidate who is closest to the center[/QUOTE]

How'd that work out for McCain? Playing to the talking points of the left, moderating his views so the media would talk nice about him, etc? When it came down to it, a (D) vs. a "Moderate" Liberal (R), the (D) wins every time.

Romney is at his policy-core a Progressive Big Government Republican. While I have no doubt he is one the (D)'s would like to see and will claim "they could support" in the current crop, the truth is we know not a single lberal on this forum would pick Romeny (or McCain or any other more moderate/liberal (R)) over their own (D) candidate.

As such, I'm more interested in knowing why an (R) would support him in the primaries.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's got great hair.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The most appealing attributes of Romney are relative success as a private sector executive, relative success as a government executive, and he's more moderate than all of his Republican competition.

The Republican party has shifted far too much to the right if Mitt Romney is now characterized as a "moderate liberal."

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mitt Romney is competent. Rick Perry is not.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4142079]Mitt Romney is competent. Rick Perry is not.[/QUOTE]

there's that, too

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4142079]Mitt Romney is competent. Rick Perry is not.[/QUOTE]

thx - I'm voting for Perry now. You obviously fear Perry, but not Romney.

You libs and your machinations.... :D

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it IS telling that our resident Liberals all praise (or at worst positively tolerate) Romney, to the detriment of other candidates.

Many of the same posters praised John McCain in similar terminology.....prior to the 2008 Presidential election cycle. You'll note, the kind view liberals had of John McCain as a moderate across-the-aisle working guy did not translate for long come election time.

The support of progressives would lead me away from Romney, not towards him. His selection all but guarantees a replay of Election 2008 imo, obviously the outcome liberal Democrats wish to see come to pass.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4142024]How'd that work out for McCain? Playing to the talking points of the left, moderating his views so the media would talk nice about him, etc? When it came down to it, a (D) vs. a "Moderate" Liberal (R), the (D) wins every time.

Romney is at his policy-core a Progressive Big Government Republican. While I have no doubt he is one the (D)'s would like to see and will claim "they could support" in the current crop, the truth is we know not a single lberal on this forum would pick Romeny (or McCain or any other more moderate/liberal (R)) over their own (D) candidate.

As such, I'm more interested in knowing why an (R) would support him in the primaries.[/QUOTE]

If the economy hadn't taken a dump right before the election in 2008, there's a good chance McCain wins. It was a very close race up until that point. Once everything tanked I think any Republican would have lost.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4142130]I think it IS telling that our resident Liberals all praise (or at worst positively tolerate) Romney, to the detriment of other candidates.

Many of the same posters praised John McCain in similar terminology.....prior to the 2008 Presidential election cycle. You'll note, the kind view liberals had of John McCain as a moderate across-the-aisle working guy did not translate for long come election time.

The support of progressives would lead me away from Romney, not towards him. His selection all but guarantees a replay of Election 2008 imo, obviously the outcome liberal Democrats wish to see come to pass.[/QUOTE]

You asked a question of why Romney is a leading Republican candidate so the point of the thread as I understand it is to highlight some of his positive attributes. If you want to take that as "praise" and "support" from liberals, that's your prerogative.

McCain has a long history of being a moderate politician, but he undoubtedly moved to the right in the time leading up to the 2008 election. His choice of VP was also a dagger.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;4142106]thx - I'm voting for Perry now. You obviously fear Perry, but not Romney.

You libs and your machinations.... :D[/QUOTE]

on the contrary

this election will be decided by moderates. Romney reaches out to those people. Perry doesn't.

I hope Perry wins the nomination nod, he will get slaughtered in a general

a Son of Confederate soldier will not win NH, Maine, PA and other NE states needed to win.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;4142139]If the economy hadn't taken a dump right before the election in 2008, there's a good chance McCain wins. It was a very close race up until that point. Once everything tanked I think any Republican would have lost.[/QUOTE]

Obuttocks sure made things better!

The number of Americans who have fallen into poverty rose to 15.1 percent in 2010, the highest level in nearly two decades, the Census Bureau said Tuesday in a report.

The report, which showed the poverty rate rose for a third straight year as the economy struggles with a stumbling recovery and persistent high joblessness, said the number of poor Americans in 2010 was the largest in the 52 years that it has been publishing poverty estimates, according to Reuters.

There were 46.2 million people in poverty in 2010, up from 43.6 million in 2009 ─ the fourth consecutive annual increase in the figure.

[url]http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/09/13/7742437-poverty-rate-hits-18-year-high-as-median-income-falls[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have voted Republican for years now with the exception of Bush Jr. 2nd term. The Republican party candidates with the exception of Romney and Huntsman are anti-science, anti-infrastructure, anti-future.

The Democratic Party has gone overboard with middle class entitlements which are bankrupting the country. That doesn't mean we don't need to invest in our future. A vibrant public school system, investments in science at the University level and investment in infrastructure that will keep this country competitive for generations is needed.

We built a national highway system, we launched into space telecommunications that were the rival of the modern world. We have Subways, trains, airports and can move goods and services to market. Most of that was done with government involvement.

Our government needs reform but if it's dismantled we are going to continue to flounder. Most of the Republican candidates with the exception, interestingly, of the 2 Mormons, are simply a disaster for this country.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;4142153]You asked a question of why Romney is a leading Republican candidate so the point of the thread as I understand it is to highlight some of his positive attributes.[/quote]

Yes, and thus far all I've seen is our resident Progressive posters voicing support for a candidate they would never, ever, vote for on election day.

I assume you can understand the extremely limited value your own, or Bit's, or similar support for Romney therefore holds, outside the idea that the candidate Obama voters support is clearly not the candidate Republicans should support if they hold differing policy views from Obama and Obama supporters.

[QUOTE]If you want to take that as "praise" and "support" from liberals, that's your prerogative[/QUOTE]

It's not a matter of "taking" something or interpritation. Many of the replies of support and praise are from self-admitted Democrat voters, and hence their opinions on Romney hold no value to the question being asked, why is Romney a leading REPUBLICAN (not progressive, nor Democrat) Candidate.

[quote]McCain has a long history of being a moderate politician, but he undoubtedly moved to the right in the time leading up to the 2008 election. His choice of VP was also a dagger.[/QUOTE]

So if he hadn't "moved to the right", by which I can only assume you mean his long-standing positions on the War on Terror, and picked say, Romney, as his VP......you would have voted for him over Obama then?

Please my friend, we're not stupid here. ;):rolleyes::D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4142191]Yes, and thus far all I've seen is our resident Progressive posters voicing support for a candidate they would never, ever, vote for on election day.

I assume you can understand the extremely limited value your own, or Bit's, or similar support for Romney therefore holds, outside the idea that the candidate Obama voters support is clearly not the candidate Republicans should support if they hold differing policy views from Obama and Obama supporters.

It's not a matter of "taking" something or interpritation. Many of the replies of support and praise are from self-admitted Democrat voters, and hence their opinions on Romney hold no value to the question being asked, why is Romney a leading REPUBLICAN (not progressive, nor Democrat) Candidate.[/QUOTE]

I suppose you should have prefaced your thread with "Liberals and Democrats need not reply. You're opinions on this matter are irrelevant to me."

[QUOTE]So if he hadn't "moved to the right", by which I can only assume you mean his long-standing positions on the War on Terror, and picked say, Romney, as his VP......you would have voted for him over Obama then?

Please my friend, we're not stupid here. ;):rolleyes::D[/QUOTE]

I believe McCain totally botched his campaign and lost a significant number of moderate and independent voters. My point has nothing to do with my personal vote, simply that your point of a moderate Republican not translating to a victory in a general election does not hold much water with McCain circa 2007-2008.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4142191]Yes, and thus far all I've seen is our resident Progressive posters voicing support for a candidate they would never, ever, vote for on election day.

It's not a matter of "taking" something or interpritation. Many of the replies of support and praise are from self-admitted Democrat voters, and hence their opinions on Romney hold no value to the question being asked, why is Romney a leading REPUBLICAN (not progressive, nor Democrat) Candidate.

So if he hadn't "moved to the right", by which I can only assume you mean his long-standing positions on the War on Terror, and picked say, Romney, as his VP......you would have voted for him over Obama then?

Please my friend, we're not stupid here. ;):rolleyes::D[/QUOTE]

The reality is none of the past Republican Presidents is close to as far to the right as the current crop with the exception of Romney and Huntsman. This isn't a Republican field this is a Tea Party field.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;4142218]I suppose you should have prefaced your thread with "Liberals and Democrats need not reply. You're opinions on this matter are irrelevant to me."[/quote]

Come on now Para, your opinions have always been well regarded by me over the years.

But you're not a Republican voter, are you?

As such, you have no involvement in why Romney would be a leading Republican candidate, and hence you are unable to answer the question as posed. You CAN tell us why liberal Democrat voters like Romney, and you have. And I appreciate that, as I always appreciate your viewpoint. But it doesn't answer my inquiry.

[quote]I believe McCain totally botched his campaign and lost a significant number of moderate and independent voters. My point has nothing to do with my personal vote, simply that your point of a moderate Republican not translating to a victory in a general election does not hold much water with McCain circa 2007-2008.[/QUOTE]

Then we can agree to disagree. McCain, outside a limited subset of millitary policy, was the most openly liberal-right candidate for (R) President I can recall. So much so, the disdain for him in the Republican/Conservatve portion of the party was dominant, and he felt the need to bring on board Palin to bolster his own base, a base he almost completely lost.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4142258]Come on now Para, your opinions have always been well regarded by me over the years.

But you're not a Republican voter, are you?

As such, you have no involvement in why Romney would be a leading Republican candidate, and hence you are unable to answer the question as posed. You CAN tell us why liberal Democrat voters like Romney, and you have. And I appreciate that, as I always appreciate your viewpoint. But it doesn't answer my inquiry.

Then we can agree to disagree. McCain, outside a limited subset of millitary policy, was the most openly liberal-right candidate for (R) President I can recall. So much so, the disdain for him in the Republican/Conservatve portion of the party was dominant, and he felt the need to bring on board Palin to bolster his own base, a base he almost completely lost.[/QUOTE]

McCain was done in largely by Bush fatigue. Bush 1, Reagan, Nixon and Eisenhower were all moderates compared to Perry and Bachman. Nixon and Eisenhower were left of Obama. Bush 1 who was a very good President was easily left of McCain.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4142162]on the contrary

this election will be decided by moderates. Romney reaches out to those people. Perry doesn't.

I hope Perry wins the nomination nod, he will get slaughtered in a general

a Son of Confederate soldier will not win NH, Maine, PA and other NE states needed to win.[/QUOTE]

Perry is the son of a Confederate soldier? My God, I had no idea he was that old - he looks pretty young.
    For the record, Jimmy Carter had direct ancestors who fought for the Confederacy.