Thread: Was Austin's catch really a TD?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Was Austin's catch really a TD?

It didn't seem like that TD was reviewed although I felt it warranted a closer look. From what I saw, I thought that Cromartie had caught the ball first to subsequently have it taken from him by Austin.

I know rule regarding possession ties, but i didn't believe it was a tie. I thought Cro had it first and I know you don't need to have possession long when the ball is in end zone.

I was a bit surprised it didn't warrant a closer review by officials.

Can't complain about officiating too much, Jet's were not flagged for a single penalty.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was a TD...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetfan51;4142178]It didn't seem like that TD was reviewed although I felt it warranted a closer look. From what I saw, I thought that Cromartie had caught the ball first to subsequently have it taken from him by Austin.

I know rule regarding possession ties, but i didn't believe it was a tie. I thought Cro had it first and I know you don't need to have possession long when the ball is in end zone.

I was a bit surprised it didn't warrant a closer review by officials.

Can't complain about officiating too much, Jet's were not flagged for a single penalty.[/QUOTE]

THere was a great shot on Yahoo yesterday that showed like it was Cromartie who had it...and it was a TD, so it was looked at.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, it was a catch 'cause Cro didn't rip it out of Austin's hands :steamin:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Cro had initial possession when they crossed the goal line, it then looked like Austin wrestled it away in the end zone.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was a TD. The defender/WR must retain possession on the way to the ground and a tie always goes to the WR, by rule.

The problem was purely Cro's technique. You could see Thurman on the sideline coaching Cro about it. He should have tried to catch it with his hands rather than his body. That way Austin would have been shielded from him and wouldn't be able to turn him around.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    it was a touchdown. well it was an interception first but then miles grasped the ball and it became a TD. Good call. correct call.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    TD

but, since ALL TDs are subject to automatic review, I think they should have allowed the ref to see the video replay and confirm it

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's an offense-based game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4142188]I think Cro had initial possession when they crossed the goal line, it then looked like Austin wrestled it away in the end zone.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's what I saw too.....actually just rewatched the play on the DVR just now.

Cro had it initially but Austin had his hands on it as well. It happened so fast and it was so close that it wouldn't of been overturned......unless ofcourse if it was a GB DB wrestling the ball away from a Jets wideout after the player was down like last year......then it would of been an INT.

Sent from my LG-P999

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;4142194]It was a TD. The defender/WR must retain possession on the way to the ground and a tie always goes to the WR, by rule.

The problem was purely Cro's technique. You could see Thurman on the sideline coaching Cro about it. He should have tried to catch it with his hands rather than his body. That way Austin would have been shielded from him and wouldn't be able to turn him around.[/QUOTE]

+1

When a receiver (or defender) goes to the ground during a catch, they must maintain possession all the way through the catch. Taking the "tie" factor completely out of it, Cromartie clearly lost possession of the ball, and it ended up in Austin's hands without ever touching the ground.

Touchdown.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it was the right call at the speed of the game. I would have wanted it looked at closer but at least the Jets won so it doesn't matter.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AbstraKt;4142245]It's an offense-based game.[/QUOTE]

I agree. However, in last years game against the Packers, there were 2 interceptions that Green Bay defenders made that looked like ties, and I felt that " It's an offense-based game" and they should not have been interceptions. Maybe being in the end zone makes a difference?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Rich Caster;4142369]I agree. However, in last years game against the Packers, there were 2 interceptions that Green Bay defenders made that looked like ties, and I felt that " It's an offense-based game" and they should not have been interceptions. Maybe being in the end zone makes a difference?[/QUOTE]

very true but as close as those calls were i do feel they were the correct ones.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Rich Caster;4142369]I agree. However, in last years game against the Packers, there were 2 interceptions that Green Bay defenders made that looked like ties, and I felt that " It's an offense-based game" and they should not have been interceptions. Maybe being in the end zone makes a difference?[/QUOTE]

IIRC, the second of the two was not reviewed on account of the Jets being out of challenges. I can't recall the details exactly, but that was the one that was more likely to be overturned.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4142385]IIRC, the second of the two was not reviewed on account of the Jets being out of challenges. I can't recall the details exactly, but that was the one that was more likely to be overturned.[/QUOTE]

I remember the same, but those were hideous calls regardless.

Both those Jet plays were like the Cro-Austin play where both players had the ball at the same time. Cotch and Keller had the ball, were down by contact, and the DB takes the ball away and it's called INTs.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;4142194]It was a TD. The defender/WR must retain possession on the way to the ground and a tie always goes to the WR, by rule.

The problem was purely Cro's technique. You could see Thurman on the sideline coaching Cro about it. He should have tried to catch it with his hands rather than his body. That way Austin would have been shielded from him and wouldn't be able to turn him around.[/QUOTE]

in watching the replay, i don't think there's a whole lot more that Cro could've done in terms of catching the ball.

Cro went up to catch the ball with his hands, it's when he tries to secure it against his body that Austin get his hands in and uses the momentum of going to the ground to yank it away.

what really stood out from the replay, though, is how lucky Austin was not to have his leg snapped in half and miss the rest of the season :eek:

0:26-28 mark -- :eek: :eek:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6jrxuGO9OU[/url]