Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left Wing Radio: Voter ID Requirements Are For Stopping Woman and Minorities Voting

Left Wing Radio: Voter ID Requirements Are For Stopping Woman and Minorities Voting

That was the claim today on SiriusXM "Left" Station:

[QUOTE]Make it Plain with Mark Thompson

Weekdays 6 pm ET

Mark Thompson hosts a political, human rights and breaking news program. Thompson passionately and provocatively moderates discussions with informed listeners, nationally known leaders and celebrities on pressing political, social, economic, cultural and spiritual issues. Call in at 866-99-SIRIUS.[/QUOTE]

Discussing the issues of the day with a Woman (missed the name, a guest) who is a "feminist" and heads some "Womans Organization". Sorry, forget the details on her.

The claim was made, that the "Far Right" push for Voter ID Requiremnets is nothing but an effort of the right to stop blacks, women and other minorities from voting.

This is a claim I've heard here as well over the years.

So I ask someone, anyone, on our left/progressive/liberal to expalin this to me, because I have to admit, I do not understand the claim.

How does a requiremnet to prove you are who you claim to be, and have the legal right to vote, force blacks, women and minorities to not vote?

Please, educate me so I can understand.

Jets Insider VIP
    [IMG]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLgYY1NGfHln_Dtfr5ktDrzyPVK99ar3yEMge07yXG27Y49mY6b-M15WCpGQ[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    I'm all for presenting ID when voting...

...but...

...states should not charge fees for obtaining a photo ID then. If they do, then you essentially charging for the right to vote.

:P

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

politics of fear (which BO promised would never happen on his watch)

- bridges will fall
    - blacks will lose their vote
    - women will lose their rights
    - fill in the blank

All League
    War you can't make sense of the senseless. Its akin to the whining that firefighting test questions on the firefighter's entrance exam is biased against minorities who want to become.............firefighters.

I honestly don't get it either. The implication here is that women and minorities don't have photo IDs, which doesn't make sense either.

I remember the first time I went to go vote, and I was very surprised that they didn't ask to see an ID. When you vote you can say you are whoever you want, as long as that name is in their ledger. Doesn't make sense to me.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=pauliec;4144950]I honestly don't get it either. The implication here is that women and minorities don't have photo IDs, which doesn't make sense either.

I remember the first time I went to go vote, and I was very surprised that they didn't ask to see an ID. When you vote you can say you are whoever you want, as long as that name is in their ledger. Doesn't make sense to me.[/QUOTE]

You know who doesn't have photo IDs? Dead people.

Yet they still manage to vote all the time.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4144700]
    So I ask someone, anyone, on our left/progressive/liberal to expalin this to me, because I have to admit, I do not understand the claim.

How does a requiremnet to prove you are who you claim to be, and have the legal right to vote, force blacks, women and minorities to not vote?

Please, educate me so I can understand.[/QUOTE]

I am going to explain the claim but let me say right up front I don't think it's a big deal.

the claim is that people without drivers lic. or passports won't be able to vote. Who doesn't have those things? Mostly poor people. It's true some people don't have drivers licenses or passports.

it should also be noted that all the state legislatures that passed these laws were Republican legislatures and we talk about "state" and "local" politics well it's very rare for the same issue to come up in 33 state legislatures at the same time.

basically it's a GOP tactic, that will probably help them (it can't hurt) and democrats don't like it. I also believe the claims of fraud to be way overblown. But in the end I don't think it's a huge deal. People will get ID's or they won't, it doesn't measurably change the makeup of the electorate.

Jets Insider VIP
    A lot of old people don't have photo ID's. Probably because a lot of them don't drive or are too busy watching "Wheel of Fortune".

But, like I said before...states would need to make ID's free if it's mandated to present one before voting.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4145018]I am going to explain the claim but let me say right up front I don't think it's a big deal.

the claim is that people without drivers lic. or passports won't be able to vote. Who doesn't have those things? Mostly poor people. It's true some people don't have drivers licenses or passports.

it should also be noted that all the state legislatures that passed these laws were Republican legislatures and we talk about "state" and "local" politics well it's very rare for the same issue to come up in 33 state legislatures at the same time.

basically it's a GOP tactic, that will probably help them (it can't hurt) and democrats don't like it. I also believe the claims of fraud to be way overblown. But in the end I don't think it's a huge deal. People will get ID's or they won't, it doesn't measurably change the makeup of the electorate.[/QUOTE]

First of all, you didn't bother to address how this harms women.

Second, you might believe fraud claims are overblown, but once again you have nothing to base this on other than your own speculation and want, and no actual knowledge. The [B]fact[/B] is that you are sorely mistaken.

I have been both a paid and volunteer worker at polling places for over 15 years now, and let me tell you - voter fraud is RAMPANT. I have witnessed it with my own eyes on too frequent occasions to even count. I know for a fact multiple instances of deceased voters miraculously showing up at the polls and voters casting ballots in multiple states. And nothing can be done about it here in NY.

You can't claim unemployment, welfare or even cash a check at the bank without a photo ID. You can't buy cigarettes or booze, either. Tell me the poor aren't sure they're holding a photo ID that costs $25 and lasts a minimum of 5 years in those cases.

Calling it a GOP tactic is loltastic. It's a Dem tactic to keep it the way it is in these other states. Of course it benefits the GOP to legitimize the voting process.

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4145064]You can't claim unemployment, welfare or even cash a check at the bank without a photo ID. You can't buy cigarettes or booze, either. Tell me the poor aren't sure they're holding a photo ID that costs $25 and lasts a minimum of 5 years in those cases. [/QUOTE]

Welfare provides these jokers with cell phones (courtesy of-- who else?-- the taxpayer). I'm sure they can get a "free" photo ID.

LMAO

[QUOTE=bitonti;4145018]I am going to explain the claim but let me say right up front I don't think it's a big deal.

basically it's a GOP tactic, that will probably help them (it can't hurt) and democrats don't like it. I also believe the claims of fraud to be way overblown. But in the end I don't think it's a huge deal. People will get ID's or they won't, it doesn't measurably change the makeup of the electorate.[/QUOTE]Voter fraud is basically a Democratic tactic. It will definitely help them and hurt the Republicans, so they won't try too hard to eliminate it, and will downplay its significance with the complicity of their minions in the media.

[QUOTE=Ernie;4145123]Voter fraud is basically a Democratic tactic. It will definitely help them and hurt the Republicans, so they won't try too hard to eliminate it, and will downplay its significance with the complicity of their minions in the media.[/QUOTE]

Voter fraud only helps them in close elections. If you notice in all the elections since Barry was annointed, the Dem either got his or her head handed to him in a blowout, or it was real close, like in Nevada where Dingy Harry was re-elected. It's places like that where you'll see things like the census says there are only 100,000 people who can vote, yet 125,000 votes were counted, and Harry wins by a margin.

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4145064]
    Calling it a GOP tactic is loltastic. [/QUOTE]

if all the officials promoting this requirement are in the GOP who's tactic is it?

also JetPotato your multiple instances of voter fraud witnessed out of how many tens of thousands votes cast, it's not that big a number.

if we are making wild claims about fraud we could talk about Diebold voting machines and campaign donations to GOP... but like I said i don't think fraud is as widespread as people make it out to be... on either side.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4145136]if all the officials promoting this requirement are in the GOP who's tactic is it?

also JetPotato your multiple instances of voter fraud witnessed out of how many tens of thousands votes cast, it's not that big a number.

if we are making wild claims about fraud we could talk about Diebold voting machines and campaign donations to GOP... but like I said i don't think fraud is as widespread as people make it out to be... on either side.[/QUOTE]

It IS a big number. Again, you're talking out of your ass, because I didn't get specifically into the quantity. This is personal experience, whereas again, you have NO experience at all and NOTHING to base your opinion on other than your own want. I will tell you that from that experience, the percentage is disturbingly large and significant enough to affect outcomes of elections. That is a huge problem.

In fact, ONE fraudulent vote is enough of a problem to enact change. You only get one vote each election. It is an honor and a privilege that you should take seriously. Are you ok with a fraudulent vote cancelling out yours?

It isn't a "tactic" to try to legitimize the voting process. The "tactic" belongs to Dems who fight this common sense legislation, simply because voter fraud primarily benefits them.

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4145212]
    In fact, ONE fraudulent vote is enough of a problem to enact change. You only get one vote each election. It is an honor and a privilege that you should take seriously. Are you ok with a fraudulent vote cancelling out yours?
    [/QUOTE]

So you believe democratic fraud happens with voter identity problems. Do you think GOP fraud happens with Diebold voting machines? or is it just 1 sided corruption? serious question...

people (not me) claim the GOP stole Ohio in 2004. But it's neither here nor there. I choose to believe the process is more or less democratic. it's not like the elections in Gabon or Senegal or some other far away place. if a handful of votes are compromised, out of 150 million votes its not a big deal. JMO.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4145020]But, like I said before...states would need to make ID's free if it's mandated to present one before voting.[/QUOTE]

It may suprise you, but I agree completely.

How about this PK, the "Federal Voters Protection and Indentfication Act of 2012".

It's won;t be like the usual Federal Law, here it is in it's entirety:

1. Each State is mandated to provide a Photo Identifaction Card to every U.S. citizen who resides within their state upon request, free of charge. Up to a maximum of two per calander year (In case one gets lost).

2. Each State is mandated to require Photo Identification at all elections to confirm voter identify.

I vote YES! for the Federal Voters Protection and Indentfication Act of 2012!

How about you?

[QUOTE=Warfish;4145253]
    1. Each State is mandated to provide a Photo Identifaction Card to every U.S. citizen who resides within their state upon request, free of charge. [/QUOTE]

I have no problem with it but a federal law requiring the states to spend money (that they might not have) i.e. how to pay for this would be the question. Raising the taxes on the rich perhaps :)

[QUOTE=bitonti;4145257]I have no problem with it but a federal law requiring the states to spend money (that they might not have) i.e. how to pay for this would be the question. Raising the taxes on the rich perhaps :)[/QUOTE]

Withhold from welfare checks the fee.

[QUOTE=bitonti;4145257]I have no problem with it but a federal law requiring the states to spend money (that they might not have) i.e. how to pay for this would be the question. Raising the taxes on the rich perhaps :)[/QUOTE]

How about cutting discretionary spending, like Cowboy Poetry Rodeo's, and taking a little more time to vet "Green Enegry Companies" we give half-billion-dollar checks to?

Better yet, tell the States they simply have to pay for it, it's not the Feds problem. You should have no issue with that, you have no love for States rights. Feds mandate, States figure it out on their own. Not like States don't have taxes, after all, and not like this would be the first undunded Federal mandate you know.