Thread: Why Do Non-Property Owners Get to Vote on School Budgets?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Why Do Non-Property Owners Get to Vote on School Budgets?

If they vote yes, it doesn't cost them anything. They have no horse in the race.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    using that logic... what about people without school aged kids... why are they paying for schools at all?

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4145034]using that logic... what about people without school aged kids... why are they paying for schools at all?[/QUOTE]

I think that is where he is going with this

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4145034]using that logic... what about people without school aged kids... why are they paying for schools at all?[/QUOTE]

You are off base my friend. Schools are paid for on the basis of property taxes. The property owner without school aged kids has a horse in the race. Now the renter or person in subsidized government housing with multiple kids in the schools has no incentive to keep cost in mind with regards to the school taxes since they are not impacted.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ernie;4145104]You are off base my friend. Schools are paid for on the basis of property taxes. The property owner without school aged kids has a horse in the race. Now the renter or person in subsidized government housing with multiple kids in the schools has no incentive to keep cost in mind with regards to the school taxes since they are not impacted.[/QUOTE]

landlords raise the rent from time to time for higher operating costs (i.e. higher taxes).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

This is chock full of lols.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=loluchka80;4145109]landlords raise the rent from time to time for higher operating costs (i.e. higher taxes).[/QUOTE]

What about rent controls and section 8 situations?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    my point wasn't to seriously advocate only property owners with kids pay for school district. it's that people without property, but with kids, do have a horse in the race, so to speak. again it's the idea of the greater good. it's a benefit to me to have the local kids well educated, even if I don't have one.

and as noted, rents go up, in lockstep when taxes go up. renters are paying tax just not directly

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4145130]my point wasn't to seriously advocate only property owners with kids pay for school district. it's that people without property, but with kids, do have a horse in the race, so to speak. again it's the idea of the greater good. it's a benefit to me to have the local kids well educated, even if I don't have one.

and as noted, rents go up, in lockstep when taxes go up. renters are paying tax just not directly[/QUOTE]

here we go again with the "greater good" nonsense.

The "greater good" is best served by voluntary philanthropy, not incurred by force. Especially when your view of the "greater good" doesn't jive with your neighbor's.

The greatest good we all have is personal choice.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4145225]

The "greater good" is best served by voluntary philanthropy, not incurred by force. [/QUOTE]

are you categorizing local school district taxes as philanthropy by force?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll go for the Starship Troopers Theory, and then some.

People who do not serve in the Millitary or Civil Service cannot vote.

People who are not contributors (pay no net money to the State) cannot vote.

Ask not what your society can do for you, but what you can do for your society!

[QUOTE=bitonti;4145243]are you categorizing local school district taxes as philanthropy by force?[/QUOTE]

All non-Defense taxation is, to some degree or another, "philanthropy by force". You are forced by law to pay in more than you get out personally, rpoviding benefits to others with your money.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4145246]I'll go for the Starship Troopers Theory, and then some. [/QUOTE]

more Heinlein is always a good thing, I have no problems with this change.

it should be noted that the gov't of Starship Troopers was basically a military fascism. it's a limited democracy at best... a psuedo-utopia... Just sayin... they didn't make perfect decisions either, for example the raid on bug home planet was ill conceived, not well researched and too long supply lines (hmm sounds familiar)

i do like the coed showers tho.
    Last edited by bitonti; 09-15-2011 at 12:50 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4145249]more Heinlein is always a good thing, I have no problems with this change.

it should be noted that the gov't of Starship Troopers was basically a military fascism. it's a limited democracy at best... a psuedo-utopia... Just sayin... they didn't make perfect decisions either, for example the raid on bug home planet was ill conceived, not well researched and too long supply lines (hmm sounds familiar)

i do like the coed showers tho.[/QUOTE]

This post is win.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

What about folks like me who don't have 9 million illegal Mexicans living in my house. Why am i paying for their healthcare?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    agreed schools should be funded by the State from general revenue not local property taxes. This is a huge advantage for students of rich communities. Property taxes should pay for local services and be reduced sharply. Income and sales taxes of course would have to go up at the State level to compensate.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The answer to the original question is very simple. The vast majority of non-property owners effectively pay property taxes through their landlord in the form of increased rent.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;4145280]What about folks like me who don't have 9 million illegal Mexicans living in my house. Why am i paying for their healthcare?[/QUOTE]

because they trim your bushes so nice?