Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Why Do Non-Property Owners Get to Vote on School Budgets?

  1. #1

    Why Do Non-Property Owners Get to Vote on School Budgets?

    If they vote yes, it doesn't cost them anything. They have no horse in the race.

  2. #2
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    using that logic... what about people without school aged kids... why are they paying for schools at all?

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Posts
    4,805
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    using that logic... what about people without school aged kids... why are they paying for schools at all?
    I think that is where he is going with this

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    using that logic... what about people without school aged kids... why are they paying for schools at all?
    You are off base my friend. Schools are paid for on the basis of property taxes. The property owner without school aged kids has a horse in the race. Now the renter or person in subsidized government housing with multiple kids in the schools has no incentive to keep cost in mind with regards to the school taxes since they are not impacted.

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    3,539
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    You are off base my friend. Schools are paid for on the basis of property taxes. The property owner without school aged kids has a horse in the race. Now the renter or person in subsidized government housing with multiple kids in the schools has no incentive to keep cost in mind with regards to the school taxes since they are not impacted.
    landlords raise the rent from time to time for higher operating costs (i.e. higher taxes).

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    using that logic... what about people without school aged kids... why are they paying for schools at all?
    This is chock full of lols.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by loluchka80 View Post
    landlords raise the rent from time to time for higher operating costs (i.e. higher taxes).
    What about rent controls and section 8 situations?

  8. #8
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    my point wasn't to seriously advocate only property owners with kids pay for school district. it's that people without property, but with kids, do have a horse in the race, so to speak. again it's the idea of the greater good. it's a benefit to me to have the local kids well educated, even if I don't have one.

    and as noted, rents go up, in lockstep when taxes go up. renters are paying tax just not directly

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,537
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    my point wasn't to seriously advocate only property owners with kids pay for school district. it's that people without property, but with kids, do have a horse in the race, so to speak. again it's the idea of the greater good. it's a benefit to me to have the local kids well educated, even if I don't have one.

    and as noted, rents go up, in lockstep when taxes go up. renters are paying tax just not directly
    here we go again with the "greater good" nonsense.

    The "greater good" is best served by voluntary philanthropy, not incurred by force. Especially when your view of the "greater good" doesn't jive with your neighbor's.

    The greatest good we all have is personal choice.

  10. #10
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post

    The "greater good" is best served by voluntary philanthropy, not incurred by force.
    are you categorizing local school district taxes as philanthropy by force?

  11. #11
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    38,062
    I'll go for the Starship Troopers Theory, and then some.

    People who do not serve in the Millitary or Civil Service cannot vote.

    People who are not contributors (pay no net money to the State) cannot vote.

    Ask not what your society can do for you, but what you can do for your society!

    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    are you categorizing local school district taxes as philanthropy by force?
    All non-Defense taxation is, to some degree or another, "philanthropy by force". You are forced by law to pay in more than you get out personally, rpoviding benefits to others with your money.

  12. #12
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I'll go for the Starship Troopers Theory, and then some.
    more Heinlein is always a good thing, I have no problems with this change.

    it should be noted that the gov't of Starship Troopers was basically a military fascism. it's a limited democracy at best... a psuedo-utopia... Just sayin... they didn't make perfect decisions either, for example the raid on bug home planet was ill conceived, not well researched and too long supply lines (hmm sounds familiar)

    i do like the coed showers tho.
    Last edited by bitonti; 09-15-2011 at 12:50 PM.

  13. #13
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    38,062
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    more Heinlein is always a good thing, I have no problems with this change.

    it should be noted that the gov't of Starship Troopers was basically a military fascism. it's a limited democracy at best... a psuedo-utopia... Just sayin... they didn't make perfect decisions either, for example the raid on bug home planet was ill conceived, not well researched and too long supply lines (hmm sounds familiar)

    i do like the coed showers tho.
    This post is win.

  14. #14
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    State Location Here
    Posts
    8,501
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    using that logic... what about people without school aged kids... why are they paying for schools at all?
    What about folks like me who don't have 9 million illegal Mexicans living in my house. Why am i paying for their healthcare?

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,179
    agreed schools should be funded by the State from general revenue not local property taxes. This is a huge advantage for students of rich communities. Property taxes should pay for local services and be reduced sharply. Income and sales taxes of course would have to go up at the State level to compensate.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    6,984
    The answer to the original question is very simple. The vast majority of non-property owners effectively pay property taxes through their landlord in the form of increased rent.

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    20,857
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    What about folks like me who don't have 9 million illegal Mexicans living in my house. Why am i paying for their healthcare?
    because they trim your bushes so nice?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us