Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Cuse and Pitt apply for ACC

  1. #1

    Cuse and Pitt apply for ACC

    http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2011...h_apply_t.html


    AP: Syracuse, Pittsburgh apply to join ACC
    Published: Saturday, September 17, 2011, 10:53 AM Updated: Saturday, September 17, 2011, 11:47 AM
    By The Associated Press

    The Atlantic Coast Conference has received application letters from Pittsburgh and Syracuse to join the league, according to a high-ranking ACC official.

    At least 10 schools have reached out to the ACC during the recent period of uncertainty about conference realignment, the official told The Associated Press on Saturday. The official declined to identify those schools.

    The official added that presidents of the league’s 12 schools unanimously approved raising the exit fee to $20 million for any member leaving the conference during a recent meeting. The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because the league has not publicly announced any of the moves.

    A jump by Pittsburgh and Syracuse could lead to another dramatic shuffle in college athletics. Texas A&M has announced its intention to join the Southeastern Conference, leaving the future of the Big 12 in doubt.

    If the move goes forward, Pittsburgh and Syracuse would become the fourth and fifth schools to leave the Big East for the ACC in the past decade. Virginia Tech and Miami joined in 2004, and Boston College followed a year later as the ACC’s 12th member.

    Syracuse is a founding member of the Big East. Pittsburgh joined the league in 1982. The ACC official said their letters of application to the ACC were for “full” membership

    Assuming their application is accepted...implications for basketball and lacrosse too. Wowza!

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2011...h_apply_t.html


    AP: Syracuse, Pittsburgh apply to join ACC
    Published: Saturday, September 17, 2011, 10:53 AM Updated: Saturday, September 17, 2011, 11:47 AM
    By The Associated Press

    The Atlantic Coast Conference has received application letters from Pittsburgh and Syracuse to join the league, according to a high-ranking ACC official.

    At least 10 schools have reached out to the ACC during the recent period of uncertainty about conference realignment, the official told The Associated Press on Saturday. The official declined to identify those schools.

    The official added that presidents of the league’s 12 schools unanimously approved raising the exit fee to $20 million for any member leaving the conference during a recent meeting. The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because the league has not publicly announced any of the moves.

    A jump by Pittsburgh and Syracuse could lead to another dramatic shuffle in college athletics. Texas A&M has announced its intention to join the Southeastern Conference, leaving the future of the Big 12 in doubt.

    If the move goes forward, Pittsburgh and Syracuse would become the fourth and fifth schools to leave the Big East for the ACC in the past decade. Virginia Tech and Miami joined in 2004, and Boston College followed a year later as the ACC’s 12th member.

    Syracuse is a founding member of the Big East. Pittsburgh joined the league in 1982. The ACC official said their letters of application to the ACC were for “full” membership

    Assuming their application is accepted...implications for basketball and lacrosse too. Wowza!
    Lol, they can't hang with the big dawgs (pun intended).

    Yeaaaa UCONN

  3. #3
    Don't kid yourself. Uconn is ACC bound in short order.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Fairfield County, CT
    Posts
    6,870
    I know this thought will get lost in this forum...

    But I can't help but see the sad irony that on the day that Syracuse and Pitt chose to emasculate The Big East, the great Dave Gavitt passed away.

  5. #5
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,478
    I'm not sure I understand the motivation/benefit for Pitt and Syracuse to join the ACC.

    If it is a football driven decision, I really don't get it. Isn't just that much harder to get an BCS bid now?

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Not sure who I feel about this.

    I grew up with the Big East and have enjoyed the rivalries.

    But like the saying goes--if you ain't moving forward you're moving backward.

    It's something Syracuse had to do, because eventually there's going to be 4 big super-conferences and SU didn't want to get left behind.

    Again.

    Have to figure UConn will also join at some point.

    _

  7. #7
    There's been lots of talk about it on the local SU radio (via webstream for me).
    Lots of emotion for and against. Old timers against it and youngsters for it mostly.

    Sure you miss the basketball rivalries (Georgetown esp) but you gain some matchups with Duke and North Carolina as well.

    A football/money decision by most accounts but I can understand it.

    Word is Uconn is looking for a partner to apply to ACC with Rutgers and Louisville being in the mix.

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    There's been lots of talk about it on the local SU radio (via webstream for me).
    Lots of emotion for and against. Old timers against it and youngsters for it mostly.

    Sure you miss the basketball rivalries (Georgetown esp) but you gain some matchups with Duke and North Carolina as well.

    A football/money decision by most accounts but I can understand it.

    Word is Uconn is looking for a partner to apply to ACC with Rutgers and Louisville being in the mix.
    I was there for 7 years and my wife for 6 (1977-1984) and now my older spone is a junior.

    Much as I'll miss the Big East, it's time to move on. Rekindle football rivalry with BC and they keep Pitt, get back quasi-rivalries with Miami and VTech. We lost out on Penn State ages ago and Big East football has become a shell of it's former self (which wasn't very good).

    _

  9. #9
    Being an FSU fan the addition of these two teams has made the football conference much worse. ACC basketball is going to be crazy good though.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    I was there for 7 years and my wife for 6 (1977-1984) and now my older spone is a junior.

    Much as I'll miss the Big East, it's time to move on. Rekindle football rivalry with BC and they keep Pitt, get back quasi-rivalries with Miami and VTech. We lost out on Penn State ages ago and Big East football has become a shell of it's former self (which wasn't very good).

    _
    Sopne*

    The big east sucks for football, but the basketball was still there. Ultimately, it came down to a football decision, which is exactly why UCONN is making a push for it as well.

    As a die hard UCONN fan, and someone who just recently graduated from there, I'd be lying if I said that Big East basketball wasn't one of my favorite things about UCONN....but the ACC with duke/unc/umd will be a lot of fun...and frankly, it's necessary to get our football program up there where it has the potential to be.

    Also Phoenix...I'm on the younger end, so I didn't know who David Gavitt was, but after your post I looked him up. It's heartbreaking that this kind of coincidence is taking place...but then "thems the breaks..."

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Groton
    Posts
    2,850
    I don't like it (as a UConn fan, expecting UConn to join shortly), but realize it is necessary. The Big East (and Big 12) are dying. You have to join the super conferences when you have the option to. Those that don't join one are going to be left scrambling.

  12. #12
    This was a great move for the ACC. Once again they were the aggressors in expansion and the addition of two northern teams allows them to renegotiate their agreed tv deal signed at the base of the economy.

    If the ACC wanted UConn they would've invited them.

    Some of the older teams and the possible SEC bound teams in the ACC are extremely concerned about the quality of football going forward if more invites are sent out.

    Rutgers & UConn provide nothing on that front thus have no votes automatically from Clemson & FSU. BC still hates UConn for all the personal lawsuits at the last round of expansion.

    The ACC needs greater than 75% to approve and usually move forward in unison. Let's say the other 9 teams vote yes, it's still 9/12 (75%).

    My thinking is unless the ACC gets the big fish, then they stay at 14.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJinBoston View Post
    This was a great move for the ACC. Once again they were the aggressors in expansion and the addition of two northern teams allows them to renegotiate their agreed tv deal signed at the base of the economy.

    If the ACC wanted UConn they would've invited them.

    Some of the older teams and the possible SEC bound teams in the ACC are extremely concerned about the quality of football going forward if more invites are sent out.

    Rutgers & UConn provide nothing on that front thus have no votes automatically from Clemson & FSU. BC still hates UConn for all the personal lawsuits at the last round of expansion.

    The ACC needs greater than 75% to approve and usually move forward in unison. Let's say the other 9 teams vote yes, it's still 9/12 (75%).

    My thinking is unless the ACC gets the big fish, then they stay at 14.
    This.

    UConn is in a bad position. So is Rutgers. They are totally at the mercy of the ACC right now. And, the ACC is in no hurry to accept them.

    The ACC is going to hang out with 14 teams for a while, while they try to lure Notre Dame. If they get Notre Dame, then they might take either UConn or Rutgers, but not both.

    The ACC would like to get Notre Dame and West Virginia, but word is that WVU will likely go to the SEC at some point.

    The ACC won't make any decision on UConn or Rutgers until it is clear what Notre Dame is going to do. And that could be years off.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the motivation/benefit for Pitt and Syracuse to join the ACC.

    If it is a football driven decision, I really don't get it. Isn't just that much harder to get an BCS bid now?
    Yes, but the thinking is that eventually the Big East was going to lose its status as a BCS conference.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by JFM View Post
    This.

    UConn is in a bad position. So is Rutgers. They are totally at the mercy of the ACC right now. And, the ACC is in no hurry to accept them.

    The ACC is going to hang out with 14 teams for a while, while they try to lure Notre Dame. If they get Notre Dame, then they might take either UConn or Rutgers, but not both.

    The ACC would like to get Notre Dame and West Virginia, but word is that WVU will likely go to the SEC at some point.

    The ACC won't make any decision on UConn or Rutgers until it is clear what Notre Dame is going to do. And that could be years off.
    The ACC is not taking WVU, period.

    Before Cuse & Pitt join nearly 60% are top 40 national univerisities.

    Duke: 10
    UVA: 25
    Wake: 25
    UNC: 29
    BC: 31
    GTech: 36
    Miami: 38

    WVU accepts nearly 90% of their applicants.

  16. #16
    According to reports, Nova's (for obvious reasons) & WVU's (for reasons I said above) applications have been rejected by the ACC.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJinBoston View Post
    According to reports, Nova's (for obvious reasons) & WVU's (for reasons I said above) applications have been rejected by the ACC.
    WVU also rejected by SEC...

    http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...or-membership/

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJinBoston View Post
    The ACC is not taking WVU, period.

    Before Cuse & Pitt join nearly 60% are top 40 national univerisities.

    Duke: 10
    UVA: 25
    Wake: 25
    UNC: 29
    BC: 31
    GTech: 36
    Miami: 38

    WVU accepts nearly 90% of their applicants.
    http://www.applyingtoschool.com/form...niversity.aspx
    Syracuse is an excellent school, ranked 52nd in the nation (out of 1800 college/university). Each year, Syracuse has an entering class of about 2000 college/university students. For those 2000 seats in its first-year college/university class, Syracuse receives over 29,000 applications. About 2,100 (8%) of the 29,000 applicants will be admitted, since some people will be accepted at many college/university and will turn down Syracuse's offer of admission.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by MadCroatian View Post
    http://www.applyingtoschool.com/form...niversity.aspx
    Syracuse is an excellent school, ranked 52nd in the nation (out of 1800 college/university). Each year, Syracuse has an entering class of about 2000 college/university students. For those 2000 seats in its first-year college/university class, Syracuse receives over 29,000 applications. About 2,100 (8%) of the 29,000 applicants will be admitted, since some people will be accepted at many college/university and will turn down Syracuse's offer of admission.
    Nice try. Syracuse accepts 60% of applicants. It's an easy school to get into.

    Total applicants: 22,935
    Total applicants who are accepted: 13,704
    Total of accepted students who enroll: 3,458

    http://www.princetonreview.com/schoo...px?iid=1024060

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us