Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lou Reed/Metallica Preview

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Lou Reed/Metallica Preview

Here is a first listen to the new collaboration.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi15nyO3v6s[/url]

Almost what you would expect, Lou talking and James screaming.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, 2mile. I've been waiting for any sound from the collaboration. Not much of a sample, but I like it, especially Lou's talking over that heavy riff.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Im just hoping it has a diverse sound. I kind of expected something like that quick snippet, the heavy with Lou speaking, I would love a couple of slower sounding songs.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds like it is going to be freaking terrible.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is just plain awful. How this sounded like a good idea to anyone is beyond me. :eek:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OrangeJet;4151422]That sounds like it is going to be freaking terrible.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=RageATL;4151437]That is just plain awful. How this sounded like a good idea to anyone is beyond me. :eek:[/QUOTE]

I think this project will be either a colossal disaster or somehow interesting, if not from a rock/metal aspect. I actually liked the snippet, maybe because I want the venture to work.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What in the hell?

Next up....Slayer and Tony Bennett....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4151458]What in the hell?

Next up....Slayer and Tony Bennett....[/QUOTE]

LMAO. I'd give five years of my life for some producer out there to make this happen.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4151453]I think this project will be either a colossal disaster or somehow interesting, if not from a rock/metal aspect. I actually liked the snippet, maybe because I want the venture to work.[/QUOTE]

I just tend to think that Metallica do better with their own material than with covers or sonically shoehorning another singer into the mix with their backing tracks, but hey, that's just me.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't sound too bad. A bit odd, but not bad. I'd like to hear more.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I never understood why this one-hit wonder got so much respect. At least Dylan (who I don't get either) is an extremely talented songwriter.

Jeez, guy rolls around a couple of times with Warhol and forms a band with a cool sounding name. Genius right there.:rolleyes: Where's Gary Moore when you need him?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4151554][B]I never understood why this one-hit wonder got so much respect.[/B] At least Dylan (who I don't get either) is an extremely talented songwriter.

Jeez, guy rolls around a couple of times with Warhol and forms a band with a cool sounding name. Genius right there.:rolleyes: Where's Gary Moore when you need him?[/QUOTE]

Reed is far from a "one hit wonder", JW. He wrote plenty of great songs--and hits--as a solo artist and with The Velvet Underground. The problem is that most folks despise his voice.

One day, go listen to [I]Transformer[/I], and note the quality of the songwriting and performance from just this one record, remembering that it was recorded in 1972. BTW, [I]Transformer[/I] was produced by one of Reed's biggest fans, David Bowie (along with Bowie's guitarist, the late Mick Ronson), who credits him as one of his greatest influences.

"Vicious"
    "Andy's Chest"
    "Perfect Day"
    "Hangin' 'Round"
    "Walk on the Wild Side"

"Make Up"
    "Satellite of Love"
    "Wagon Wheel"
    "New York Telephone Conversation"
    "I'm So Free"
    "Goodnight Ladies"

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3wXqyRQZnA&feature=fvst[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYEC4TZsy-Y[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIdc0NGumVc[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RageATL;4151501]I just tend to think that Metallica do better with their own material....[/QUOTE]

a la "Kill 'Em All"....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4151568]Reed is far from a "one hit wonder", JW. He wrote plenty of great songs--and hits--as a solo artist and with The Velvet Underground. The problem is that most folks despise his voice.

One day, go listen to [I]Transformer[/I], and note the quality of the songwriting and performance from just this one record, remembering that it was recorded in 1972. BTW, [I]Transformer[/I] was produced by one of Reed's biggest fans, David Bowie (along with Bowie's guitarist, the late Mick Ronson), who credits him as one of his greatest influences.

"Vicious"
    "Andy's Chest"
    "Perfect Day"
    "Hangin' 'Round"
    "Walk on the Wild Side"

"Make Up"
    "Satellite of Love"
    "Wagon Wheel"
    "New York Telephone Conversation"
    "I'm So Free"
    "Goodnight Ladies"

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYEC4TZsy-Y[/url]
    [/QUOTE]

Would love to hear Perfect Day mixed with the crunch of Metallica, one of my favorites. I like Lous voice Borgo, I just think people dont get the whole scene he was in.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=2milehighJet;4151653]Would love to hear Perfect Day mixed with the crunch of Metallica, one of my favorites. I like Lous voice Borgo, [B]I just think people dont get the whole scene he was in.[/B][/QUOTE]

That's the key. That era was so [I]avant garde [/I], and wide open musically, that it's almost completely not understood by most folks today. I was only 15 when that record was released, but--as a New Yorker--totally into the underground rock scene.

I liked Lou's vocal approach back in the day. I don't enjoy how his voice sounds now.
    Last edited by Borgoguy; 09-20-2011 at 03:21 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4151568]Reed is far from a "one hit wonder", JW. He wrote plenty of great songs--and hits--as a solo artist and with The Velvet Underground. The problem is that most folks despise his voice.

[/QUOTE]

I'll do that on your recommendation, but if the sampling you provided via YouTube is any indication, I don't have high hopes. I guess it's akin to your aversion to Claudio Sanchez of Coheed and Cambria. Dream Theater gives me that vibe, too, at least the stuff with their original singer. Shame, because they are a very talented group.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4151702]I'll do that on your recommendation, but [B]if the sampling you provided via YouTube is any indication, I don't have high hopes. [/B] I guess it's akin to your aversion to Claudio Sanchez of Coheed and Cambria. Dream Theater gives me that vibe, too, at least the stuff with their original singer. Shame, because they are a very talented group.[/QUOTE]

Reed is not for you.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4151715]Reed is not for you.[/QUOTE]

Yea, if those were picked by you, I figured they were high-quality tunes by him. The fact they did nothing for me cinched that conclusion.

Read up a bit on him, pretty disturbing stuff he was subjected to for his sexuality.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4151738]Yea, if those were picked by you, I figured they were high-quality tunes by him. The fact they did nothing for me cinched that conclusion.

Read up a bit on him, pretty disturbing stuff he was subjected to for his sexuality.[/QUOTE]

You might like the Velvet Underground stuff better. It's really edgy and dark. Classic tunes (I'd say "hits") written by Lou Reed include, "Heroin", "White Light/White Heat", "Sweet Jane", and "Rock & Roll".

[I]Rock 'n' Roll Animal[/I], a live album from 1974 has blistering versions of these songs. IMO, one of the top five live rock records ever made. Twin guitar attack of Hunter and Wagner scorch that album.

Arguably, the greatest song into ever. Listen to the two guitarists build into a frenzy, then leads in the actual song.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoytmVwcsB4[/url]

This is one of my favorite tunes from this era. Again, it builds to a brilliant crescendo.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpGxx870SaI[/url]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4151853]You might like the Velvet Underground stuff better. It's really edgy and dark. [/QUOTE]
    [URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEVyf6y_-Y4[/URL]