Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: The Scotch/Whiskey/Bourbon thread (Expanded)

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Join the bourbon club of New Orleans. They give you a free bourbon if the month when you walk in the Bourbon House. I'm getting mine Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    Join the bourbon club of New Orleans. They give you a free bourbon if the month when you walk in the Bourbon House. I'm getting mine Wednesday.
    Salute.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Slainte. Anyone try James E Pepper Rye?

Not the quality of the whisky you folks drink, but any time alcohol is destroyed, rather than consumed, it is a major tragedy. That's some clean-up crew. What idiots.

The night shift at a Chivas Brothers distillery screwed up this week and accidentally flushed about 6,000 gallons of Scotch whisky down the drain, according to reports from Scotland.

The 80-proof goof happened early Tuesday at a bottling plant in Dumbarton, where workers were cleaning equipment. Instead of purging the wastewater, they instead expelled 18,000 liters of bulk whisky into the local sewage system.

"It was like someone turned on a tap, and it just ran straight down the plughole," an "insider" toldThe Scottish Sun.

No one at Chivas noticed until 11 a.m., but local sewage crews had gotten a good whiff of the scotch-and-water problem and were attempting to identify the source long before the distiller reported what had happened.

"Discharging large volumes of alcohol into the sewer network can have an adverse impact on wastewater treatment processes, particularly during dry, cold weather," Scottish Water said in a statement, the BBC reported. "We are continuing to closely monitor our Dumbarton wastewater treatment works to ensure treatment has not been compromised."

Chivas Brothers is best known for Chivas Regal and Ballentine's, the second-best-selling scotch in the world.

The company said it was investigating.

Some workers may find themselves on the rocks and reaching for a bottle.

"The guys responsible will be lucky to keep their jobs," the Sun's insider confided.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...drain/1955223/

That is a lot of whisky, too bad, it could have gone to feed the homeless.......wait...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Not the quality of the whisky you folks drink, but any time alcohol is destroyed, rather than consumed, it is a major tragedy. That's some clean-up crew. What idiots.

The night shift at a Chivas Brothers distillery screwed up this week and accidentally flushed about 6,000 gallons of Scotch whisky down the drain, according to reports from Scotland.

The 80-proof goof happened early Tuesday at a bottling plant in Dumbarton, where workers were cleaning equipment. Instead of purging the wastewater, they instead expelled 18,000 liters of bulk whisky into the local sewage system.

"It was like someone turned on a tap, and it just ran straight down the plughole," an "insider" toldThe Scottish Sun.

No one at Chivas noticed until 11 a.m., but local sewage crews had gotten a good whiff of the scotch-and-water problem and were attempting to identify the source long before the distiller reported what had happened.

"Discharging large volumes of alcohol into the sewer network can have an adverse impact on wastewater treatment processes, particularly during dry, cold weather," Scottish Water said in a statement, the BBC reported. "We are continuing to closely monitor our Dumbarton wastewater treatment works to ensure treatment has not been compromised."

Chivas Brothers is best known for Chivas Regal and Ballentine's, the second-best-selling scotch in the world.

"The guys responsible will be lucky to keep their jobs," the Sun's insider confided.

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    No joke, right before posting the article here, I sent it to my wife at work. She responded with an "OMG". To which I sent back: "They took the f**king bar!".

Great minds, Things. What are we doing with these louts?

Jets Insider VIP
    No joke, right before posting the article here, I sent it to my wife at work. She responded with an "OMG". To which I sent back: "They took the f**king bar!".

Great minds, Things. What are we doing with these louts?

This is the only website where I can get an erection.

Jets Insider VIP

For this evening

Jets Insider VIP

Happy Friday!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    No need to start a new one. I dig this

_
    This is what I've been favoring lately.

I'm typically inclined to go Scotch first, but my brother bought me a bottle of the Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select, and I'm loving it.

I usually keep a bottle of Macallan 12, or Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban (port casks) in the house.

I don't go through much booze anymore, so if I'm going to have anything to drink, it's quality.

Travesty.

I'll take this moment to scold Maker's Mark for the INSANE decision, made by their ownership without any market testing, to water down their product.

They had the Coca Cola position in the bourbon market, in the midst of a bourbon boom... and in order to have more bottles, they altered their recipe and essentially watered down their product.

From what I've read, the taste hasn't changed dramatically, but the brand perception has. What a huge mistake.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    Travesty.

I'll take this moment to scold Maker's Mark for the INSANE decision, made by their ownership without any market testing, to water down their product.

They had the Coca Cola position in the bourbon market, in the midst of a bourbon boom... and in order to have more bottles, they altered their recipe and essentially watered down their product.

From what I've read, the taste hasn't changed dramatically, but the brand perception has. What a huge mistake.
    I thought they negged that decision, no? The produced a bit of the 84 proof stuff and have now gone back to the original 90 proof whiskey.
    Last edited by crasherino; 03-08-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I thought they negged that decision, no? The produced a bit of the 84 proof stuff and have now gone back to the original 90 proof whiskey.
    They have since gone back to the 90 proof, the problem is that actually made the stupid decision to go to 84. It hurt their brand position, they only course-corrected because of the outcry from their brand faithful.

A little customer research would have prevented the whole mess. Literally the owner and his son, I believe, made the decision in a vacuum. Hardly what I'd call good practice from an an industry leader.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    They have since gone back to the 90 proof, the problem is that actually made the stupid decision to go to 84. It hurt their brand position, they only course-corrected because of the outcry from their brand faithful.

A little customer research would have prevented the whole mess. Literally the owner and his son, I believe, made the decision in a vacuum. Hardly what I'd call good practice from an an industry leader.
    Yeah, now they just created a collectors item. Everyone is rushing to get the 84 proof stuff.

People just like to get riled up for no reason - I bet you couldn't tell the difference between the higher octane juice and the new stuff.

The brand will be fine.

Jets Insider VIP

Happy Saturday!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Just had a Dewars...... Thought of you. Hope all is well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Just had a Dewars...... Thought of you. Hope all is well.
    Good man! Reminds me that I have to replenish my stock of 12.

Thanks, doing pretty well.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    My brother gave me this bottle for my birthday and although I'm not a big bourbon guy I'm thoroughly enjoying this libation. Anyone ever try this? Highly recommended!

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

My brother brought that one most often to our tailgate. Going to The RU @ Louisville game in october and will do a distillery tour.