Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: The Scotch/Whiskey/Bourbon thread (Expanded)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just got a bottle of cragganmore 12 as a gift, good stuff

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well congrats to this thread it convinced me to go out and by my first bottle of Scotch!
    So my first bottle is a 12 yr old Chivas Regal Blended Scotcg. Ill let you know how my first experience went in an hr.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    It...it looks like.....ultralight Olive Oil.

Is this the "Cooking with Hamper Hipsters" thread?
    Lol, I was a bit fearful before the first sip myself. But it's pretty damned good

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Cool stuff. DT is not so much an Independent Brand as they are genius entrepreneurs. They are not a distillery. They buy their casks, let them age, then bottle and sell them. I wish I had thought of it. Each Dimension label ID's the distillery of origin and even says when it was distilled and then bottled by DT. Where is your bottle from? My money is on a distillery in the Lowlands.
    Ahhh, thanks for the knowledge! Mine is a Speyside, actually.

Got 2 I've been meaning to try lined up for Xmas, I'll post them when I crack them open.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just got a fifth of Jim Beam for $16.59 and I have achieved the same effects as you guys who payed $100+

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I just got a fifth of Jim Beam for $16.59 and I have achieved the same effects as you guys who payed $100+
    That is like saying a BJ from Roseanne Barr is equal to a BJ from Jessica Biel.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    You may have gotten just as drunk but you didn't enjoy the same quality of flavor.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    You could also drink some varnish. There's a bit of a difference.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    There's nothing fundamentally wrong with a bottle of Beam - if that's your price point and flavor profile, it's a perfectly fine buy. But if you're looking for something beyond that, it's probably worth taking in some other type of bourbons

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    That is like saying a BJ from Roseanne Barr is equal to a BJ from Jessica Biel.
    hey...that worked! I shut my eyes and...uhhhh...hmmm

Definitely close.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    My friend and I watch the Sunday night game outside on his patio drinking scotch and smoking cigars. It is my favorite time of the week. We've had Laphroaig quarter cask, Balvenie Doublewood, Glenfiddich 12, Glenmorangie Nector D'or, and The Glenlivet 18. We were not big fans of the very "peaty" Lophroaig. The Nector D'or and Glenlivet 18 were our favorites. We've been talking about sharing the cost of a bottle up to about $300, but we have no experience in that price range. Any suggestions?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    My friend and I watch the Sunday night game outside on his patio drinking scotch and smoking cigars. It is my favorite time of the week. We've had Laphroaig quarter cask, Balvenie Doublewood, Glenfiddich 12, Glenmorangie Nector D'or, and The Glenlivet 18. We were not big fans of the very "peaty" Lophroaig. The Nector D'or and Glenlivet 18 were our favorites. We've been talking about sharing the cost of a bottle up to about $300, but we have no experience in that price range. Any suggestions?
    Macallan Amber

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stay a bit lower if you want and go for Glenmorangie Signet or Dalmore 18, ~$200. Those are next for me and I've never heard a bad word about either.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    Macallan Amber
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Stay a bit lower if you want and go for Glenmorangie Signet or Dalmore 18, ~$200. Those are next for me and I've never heard a bad word about either.
    Excellent recommendations. After some research, I was considering also Glenfarclas 25 Year Old. It's also under $200. While we are willing to spend up to $300, it seems to me that the selection in the $200 to $300 range really is no better than those 2/3 the price. I think you have to get into the $400+ range to see an appreciable difference from the under $200 labels.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Looky looky what a client got Soothie for Christmas!

Hey now.

image.jpg

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    18 year old Talisker. Itís the peaty kind you don't like - not as harsh as a cask strength Laphroaig - but I emplore you to give it a chance. $150-ish a bottle and it's worth every penny.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post

Hey now.

image.jpg
    I was told they only make a limited run of this making it hard to come by. Bar in town has to get a bunch of their other book to acquire one. They sell it for $50 a shot!

Cheers!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent recommendations. After some research, I was considering also Glenfarclas 25 Year Old. It's also under $200. While we are willing to spend up to $300, it seems to me that the selection in the $200 to $300 range really is no better than those 2/3 the price. I think you have to get into the $400+ range to see an appreciable difference from the under $200 labels.
    good choice with Glenfarclas.

You'd probably like Bunnahabhainn(pronounced Boon-Ahh-ha-van)

also if you want something a bit less well know the Fettercairn or old fettercairn is a good shout....my cousin works at the distillery!

and for a slightly different after dinner treat go for Stag's breath which is a whiskey liqueur that's a little less sticky than Drambuie or Glayva

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Hey now.

image.jpg
    Nice! I like that better than the 20 or 23. Drink it slowly....you used to be able to find it for around $80. I'd say you'd be hard pressed to find it for under $200 if you can find it at all. Most likely more than that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey now.

image.jpg
    Enjoy it in good health, Sean!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Hey now.

image.jpg

I heard there's a big time shortage of Pappy this year. Good stuff.