Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: The Scotch/Whiskey/Bourbon thread (Expanded)

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Bud, I'd kill to go to Scotland like you. There's a friggin bar in Edinburgh with my family's namesake. Free drinks? But with three kids...kind of tough. I have a guy who hooks me up with good stuff.
    Speaking of, I'm feeling a VERY strong desire to be there this coming September, for the Independence vote.

I can't vote (native born citizen or not, you have to reside there), but I feel like I SHOULD be there that day.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Speaking of, I'm feeling a VERY strong desire to be there this coming September, for the Independence vote.

I can't vote (native born citizen or not, you have to reside there), but I feel like I SHOULD be there that day.
    Pretty badass that they're holding the vote 700 years after Bannockburn.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

The Scotch/Whiskey/Bourbon thread (Expanded)

When I was there last March I brought up the vote to a few people in casual conversation. I wanted to hear where they stood, maybe because I'm a huge nerd and am interested in that sort of thing. A cab driver and a traveling salesman both thought it was a bad idea. A young lass tending bar didn't even KNOW there was a vote happening (she was born and raised in Fife). The only one who was really for it was our tour guide in Loch Lomond, a massively knowledgable source on all things Scottish and therefore very patriotic. Almost tea party-vibe from her.

It'll be a very interesting referendum. I'll be watching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I don't think I've had Angels Envy but I've heard good things. But if you want something like Pappy, you should try a wheated bourbon - Weller 12 year is as close as you will probably come and its a fraction of the price. Keep in mind, the Pappy you get now - assuming you can even find it, is no longer from the S-W distillery but is made at Buffalo Trace. Still excellent, but not quite the same (in allure anyway).

There is a Jefferson's Presidential Select 18 yr that was released a year or two ago that is basically the last of the S-W juice. At the time, it went for under $100 and was absolutely terrific. Of course, I haven't seen it since and the new Jefferson's - which I think is a 19yr - is a different recipe completely.
    Great info, thanks! My friend has a buddy from college who's father owns a large liquor store so we were able to get our grubby hands on a lot of pappy. I wasn't aware of the distillery change-up. I will definitely try Weller 12 as I've haven't had it. I'm usually a Bulleit or Maker's drinker because they are easily acquired, but I'm always looking for new ideas. I recently tried Blanton's which is one of my favorites now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    Great info, thanks! My friend has a buddy from college who's father owns a large liquor store so we were able to get our grubby hands on a lot of pappy. I wasn't aware of the distillery change-up. I will definitely try Weller 12 as I've haven't had it. I'm usually a Bulleit or Maker's drinker because they are easily acquired, but I'm always looking for new ideas. I recently tried Blanton's which is one of my favorites now.
    Look for the Booker's 25th anniversary release some time this month.

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Look for the Booker's 25th anniversary release some time this month.
    Oh momma

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    Not any more ya can't! I've got a about 3-4 bottles of the 12 left, one of the 10 a bottle of the 15 and one of the 20 (signed by Julian Van Winkle) but I don't drink it anymore because I feel like its wasting it, which is silly because the best thing about bourbon is that it should be accessible.....You used to be able to get the Van Winkle 12 for $35 a bottle. Now you simply can't get it any price. Oh well - there are plenty of other good bourbons out there.

Jets Insider VIP

Tonight's Choice

Rock solid choice J.W.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Not any more ya can't! I've got a about 3-4 bottles of the 12 left, one of the 10 a bottle of the 15 and one of the 20 (signed by Julian Van Winkle) but I don't drink it anymore because I feel like its wasting it, which is silly because the best thing about bourbon is that it should be accessible.....You used to be able to get the Van Winkle 12 for $35 a bottle. Now you simply can't get it any price. Oh well - there are plenty of other good bourbons out there.
    It really is delicious. Great taste and still a little bite. I'm jealous of your stash. Damn you.

May I present my new invention, a variation on a theme if you will, invested this evening and drunk to much meriment.

A "Rusty Scotsman"

Start with a Pint Glass

...then add......

Two Shots:

Plus Two Shots:

And fill the rest with:

Finish with Two Ice Cubes, and enjoy.
    Last edited by Warfish; 03-09-2014 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Angel's Envy: Best bottle of bourbon under $50 amazing... drinks just like Pappy Van Winkle 5/15 year. Urban Enthusiast rates it "10" out of 10. Price is shooting up lately.

Attachment 5940

Attachment 5939
    Tried this tonight and loved it! Had some on the rocks. Very good taste with a late, even kick. Thanks for the recommendation!

Quote Originally Posted by Porgyman View Post
    Tried this tonight and loved it! Had some on the rocks. Very good taste with a late, even kick. Thanks for the recommendation!
    I had 6 shots of Jameson tonight. Because.....*****es.

My beverage of choice this evening:

Last edited by Warfish; 03-29-2014 at 07:03 PM.

Seems I'm the only one left posting in here.

In any event, if you are a fan of the gloden glorious liquid of the Gods that is Whiskey (or Whisky), I have a suggestion:

Subscribe to this magazine http://whiskyadvocate.com/wp-content...ser-awards.jpg

It is an absolute orgasm of brilliance on the subject, and a treasure trove of scotches (and others) you'll surely have never tried, never heard of, and absolutely love.

And the current issue is a "awards" issue, so the best of the best.

You'll thank me later.

Also, if you're ever in Virginia (just outside DC) and you want an amazing craft bewpub beer and a meal to die for, go to Mad Fox Brewery http://madfoxbrewing.com/

Again, you'll thank me for it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Haven't been posting because I'm on a run of antibiotics. Sickness, deprived of drinking and Stokesian trips to the bathroom. Wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Haven't been posting because I'm on a run of antibiotics. Sickness, deprived of drinking and Stokesian trips to the bathroom. Wonderful.
    Bummer, mate. Here to hoping you feel better soon.

An image to give your constitution some get up and go to get better faster:

Talisker Dark Storm:

Jets Insider VIP
    Bummer, mate. Here to hoping you feel better soon.

An image to give your constitution some get up and go to get better faster:

Talisker Dark Storm:

Heh. I'll have to try that. I've had Talisker Storm before, but haven't heard of Dark Storm.

My brother-in-law just became a father for the first time and he's a disgusting bourbon drinker. I'll be giving him these "your life is now over" presents. Banana for scale.
    Attached Images Attached Images

For fans of American hooch, I hear THIS comes highly reccomended:

Jets Insider VIP
    For fans of American hooch, I hear THIS comes highly reccomended:

How much that go for? Just starting to explore the world of rye. Whistle Pig wowed me. Seems like its more versatile than bourbon, my normal drink of choice...