Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: The Scotch/Whiskey/Bourbon thread (Expanded)

Jets Insider VIP
    Currently being served in the Duke household for any guests..

This is close to perfection for me. I can't get enough
    21316-talisker-10ans-whisky_1.jpg

For the more peaty tastes
    preview_product_41.jpg

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Bummer, mate. Here to hoping you feel better soon.

An image to give your constitution some get up and go to get better faster:

Talisker Dark Storm:

Must. Try.

Bummer, mate. Here to hoping you feel better soon.

An image to give your constitution some get up and go to get better faster:

Talisker Dark Storm:

Whoa, when did this thread get moved to the hotties forum? That bottle is damn sexy!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

The Scotch/Whiskey/Bourbon thread (Expanded)

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Currently being served in the Duke household for any guests..

This is close to perfection for me. I can't get enough
    21316-talisker-10ans-whisky_1.jpg

For the more peaty tastes
    preview_product_41.jpg

I give my guests Bowmore, or Glenfiddich. I keep the Talisker for myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran
    Love the smokiness of the Laphroaig akin to the Lagavullin.

Has anyone sampled the Johnny Walker Platinum? Got a bottle of that from a vendor for Xmas. So smooth going down. For a high end blend, it's a good one.

Jets Insider VIP

The Scotch/Whiskey/Bourbon thread (Expanded)

Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I give my guests Bowmore, or Glenfiddich. I keep the Talisker for myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I also have a bottle of Paddy or Jameson for friends/guests I know won't appreciate the better stuff.

Edit: or people I don't like
    Last edited by RaoulDuke; 04-07-2014 at 01:52 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

not a bourbon however I tried something for the first time this weekend, a couple of shots of The Kraken!

good stuff

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

This is what I've been serving guests recently - I'm considering making it my "go to" pour for now - its really delicious.

thumb-widowJane.jpg

Jets Insider VIP
    I am blown away by all the brands of Scotch you guys have displayed. I have always thought myself above average in this area, clearly I am a neophyte. My basic favorite is Dewars, higher end I like Pinch. I dont like single Malts.

I think I will try the Talisker....

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I am blown away by all the brands of Scotch you guys have displayed. I have always thought myself above average in this area, clearly I am a neophyte. My basic favorite is Dewars, higher end I like Pinch. I dont like single Malts.

If you like Dewar's and Pinch but don't like single malts, you definitely will not like Talisker. You need to try a single malt that has a sweeter finish ala Dewar's (which I happen to love). The next logical step would be Aberfeldy, which is the main single used to blend Dewar's. Otherwise, stick with another Highland, particularly Dalwhinnie or Glenmorangie. Trust me...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    If you like Dewar's and Pinch but don't like single malts, you definitely will not like Talisker. You need to try a single malt that has a sweeter finish ala Dewar's (which I happen to love). The next logical step would be Aberfeldy, which is the main single used to blend Dewar's. Otherwise, stick with another Highland, particularly Dalwhinnie or Glenmorangie. Trust me...
    Good stuff.... not sure why I dont like Glenfiddich for example. String bite to it I suppose but I could brush my teeth with Dewars.

Jets Insider VIP
    Good stuff.... not sure why I dont like Glenfiddich for example. String bite to it I suppose but I could brush my teeth with Dewars.
    Different region, it's a Speyside. I'm a fan of that region as well, but if I were you I would limit your palate to Highland and Lowland until you acquire a taste for the other stuff.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

That's the problem - if you drink blends, it seems like your options are somewhat limited. My father drinks Johnny Black and doesn't care much for single malts. I'm not sure what to get him other than that as he doesn't really care for the higher end JWs (or at least doesn't like them significantly more than the Black to warrant the price) and I'm not sure what else is out there. I think I got him some Famous Grouse before but beyond that, I'm at a loss. He's not really a fan of any of the older Chivas's either.
    Last edited by crasherino; 04-07-2014 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    That's the problem - if you drink blends, it seems like your options are somewhat limited. My father drinks Johnny Black and doesn't care much for single malts. I'm not sure what to get him other than that as he doesn't really care for the higher end JWs (or at least doesn't like them significantly more than the Black to warrant the price) and I'm not sure what else is out there. I think I got him some Famous Grouse before but beyond that, I'm at a loss. He's not really a fan of any of the older Chivas's either.
    If I might make a suggestion:

~$80 a Bottle, well regarded, award winning, rare enough he's doubtless never had it (new experience, best experience).
    Last edited by Warfish; 04-07-2014 at 06:53 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

If I might make a suggestion:

~$80 a Bottle, well regarded, award winning, rare enough he's doubtless never had it (new experience, best experience).
    Awesome - I will look for it. Thanks for the rec.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    OK so you guys have expensive taste. I went to the liquor store and saw the price of Dalwhinnie , Glenmorangie and Talisker. This shlts $55 to $70 a bottle. I will try it this Friday at my favorite night stop.

Jets Insider VIP
    OK so you guys have expensive taste. I went to the liquor store and saw the price of Dalwhinnie , Glenmorangie and Talisker. This shlts $55 to $70 a bottle. I will try it this Friday at my favorite night stop.
    Lol, that's not expensive relative to what's out there. And the Glenmorangie 10yo can be had for ~$35 if you shop around, not much more than Dewars 12.

Tonights menu of **** I'm drunk awesome.

Last edited by Warfish; 04-11-2014 at 10:42 PM.

Would like to aquire a bottle of this, but no travel planned, and it'd Duty Free Only.