Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 380 of 468

Thread: The Scotch/Whiskey/Bourbon thread (Expanded)

  1. #361
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Lol, that's not expensive relative to what's out there. And the Glenmorangie 10yo can be had for ~$35 if you shop around, not much more than Dewars 12.

    OK Mr. Jetworks,

    Followed your advice. Went out the evening of 4/15 to celebrate a bit at Sullivans steakhouse and had a Glenmorangie on the rocks.

    Exellent... smooth like a blend, but with a mild kick. Reminded me a bit of Pinch.

  2. #362
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    8,790
    See?!?! I knew you'd like it, now you're hooked!

    Do experiment with a couple of their other bottles, particularly the Nectar D'Or and cask-strength Astar. Don't forget about the others we've suggested as well.

  3. #363
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,953
    Today's new aquisition, not yet cracked open:


  4. #364
    I've acquired some pappy. Thank you baby Jesus.

  5. #365
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    742 Evergreen Terrace
    Posts
    11,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    I've acquired some pappy. Thank you baby Jesus.
    Pappy. He'll pretty much have to.


  6. #366
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Pappy. He'll pretty much have to.

    Hehe

  7. #367
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,197
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    I've acquired some pappy. Thank you baby Jesus.
    Well done. Now, when serving it to your idiot friends who don't know any better, just make sure to swap in the Makers after the first pour. They won't know the difference.

    Either that or get a bottle of the Weller Reserve and refill your Pappy bottle once its done. (I've never thought of doing that before, but now I'm tempted.)

  8. #368
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Any one make ice balls at home?

    Like this?

    http://www.amazon.com/ROX-Sphere-Ice...7VSJ0WKGKYV6A0

  9. #369
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,489
    This was the surprise Easter basket my wife gave to me on Sunday morning. Apparently she does listen to me.



    I'm a lucky guy
    Last edited by Bonhomme Richard; 04-23-2014 at 10:48 PM.

  10. #370
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    742 Evergreen Terrace
    Posts
    11,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    This was the surprise Easter basket my wife gave to me on Sunday morning. Apparently she does listen to me.



    I'm a lucky guy
    Niiiiice. Can't help but think that was a recommendation of mine... B-)

  11. #371
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Niiiiice. Can't help but think that was a recommendation of mine... B-)
    It was. Great scotch. A little less smoky than the 10 year Talisker, definitely more briny. I love scotch that's heavy on the peat smoke, which is why I love Talisker and Laphroig and similar Islay malts, but this is a really nice change. Great stuff. The bottle is half empty already. As you can see, it pairs nicely with Cadbury eggs.

  12. #372
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    742 Evergreen Terrace
    Posts
    11,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    It was. Great scotch. A little less smoky than the 10 year Talisker, definitely more briny. I love scotch that's heavy on the peat smoke, which is why I love Talisker and Laphroig and similar Islay malts, but this is a really nice change. Great stuff. The bottle is half empty already. As you can see, it pairs nicely with Cadbury eggs.
    Well get ready to have your mind blown. There now exists Talisker Dark Storm. Similar to Talisker Storm except it's aged in charred oak barrels. Haven't tried it yet but it's on my short list.

  13. #373
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Well done. Now, when serving it to your idiot friends who don't know any better, just make sure to swap in the Makers after the first pour. They won't know the difference.

    Either that or get a bottle of the Weller Reserve and refill your Pappy bottle once its done. (I've never thought of doing that before, but now I'm tempted.)
    Fantastic ideas.. The first of which I've already planned on. :-)

  14. #374
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Well get ready to have your mind blown. There now exists Talisker Dark Storm. Similar to Talisker Storm except it's aged in charred oak barrels. Haven't tried it yet but it's on my short list.
    WTF? I can't keep up. Now I need some of that.

  15. #375
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    WTF? I can't keep up. Now I need some of that.
    May be difficult to aquire, as I believe it's Travel Retail (i.e. Duty Free) only. No normal retail sales options.

    In other news, I have finalized and formalized my "Rusty Scotsman" Mixed Drink.

    The formal recipie is ---

    In a traditional pint glass, add:

    2 oz. Scotch Whisky (Blended is fine)
    1 oz. Drambuie
    3 Ice Cubes
    & Fill to the pint line with Irn Bru

    Had two of these sitting in the sunny brilliance today, and got to say, I like it, I like it alot.

    I would strongly encourage any fellow Scotch fans out there looking to have a change of pace or a mixed drink thats "still Scotch" to give it a go, I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

  16. #376
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,197
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    May be difficult to aquire, as I believe it's Travel Retail (i.e. Duty Free) only. No normal retail sales options.

    In other news, I have finalized and formalized my "Rusty Scotsman" Mixed Drink.

    The formal recipie is ---

    In a traditional pint glass, add:

    2 oz. Scotch Whisky (Blended is fine)
    1 oz. Drambuie
    3 Ice Cubes
    & Fill to the pint line with Irn Bru

    Had two of these sitting in the sunny brilliance today, and got to say, I like it, I like it alot.

    I would strongly encourage any fellow Scotch fans out there looking to have a change of pace or a mixed drink thats "still Scotch" to give it a go, I don't think you'll be dissapointed.
    I had to look up Irn Bru. What's it equivalent to?

  17. #377
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    742 Evergreen Terrace
    Posts
    11,115
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I had to look up Irn Bru. What's it equivalent to?
    It's just carbonated Shetland pony sprem.

  18. #378
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,953
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I had to look up Irn Bru. What's it equivalent to?
    Nothing.

    It's very unique, as is it's flavor. It's the national soda of Scotland, outselling even Coke (although thats weakening as time and poulation changes roll on).

    Happily, you can get it these days in many major market food retailers (like I get mine in Harris Teeter).

  19. #379
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    12,824
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    It's just carbonated Shetland pony sprem.
    You must spread the rep.


  20. #380
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    38,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Nothing.

    It's very unique, as is it's flavor. It's the national soda of Scotland, outselling even Coke (although thats weakening as time and poulation changes roll on).

    Happily, you can get it these days in many major market food retailers (like I get mine in Harris Teeter).
    so Shasta Diet Dr. Pepper Up is the US equivalent?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us