Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 420 of 468

Thread: The Scotch/Whiskey/Bourbon thread (Expanded)

  1. #401
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    12,823
    JW and Warfish,

    I really have fallen in love with the Talisker 10 year which is exactly what I'm looking for in a whiskey. Besides the Storm and Dark Storm what other brands should be trying to branch out?

  2. #402
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,927
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    JW and Warfish,

    I really have fallen in love with the Talisker 10 year which is exactly what I'm looking for in a whiskey. Besides the Storm and Dark Storm what other brands should be trying to branch out?
    Talisker is somewhat unique honestly, smoky/peaty, more like an Islay than and Island style malt.

    Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Caol Ila and Ardbeg are all smoky/peaty Islay Malts. Bold the lot.

    I'd suggest a trip to you local (quality) Pub, as both Lagavulin and Laphroaig are very common in the US in bars, and bold enough you may want to taste them before buying a bottle.

    Ardbeg is much less common, so much so, I've not had it as yet.
    Last edited by Warfish; 05-05-2014 at 10:33 AM.

  3. #403
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    12,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Talisker is somewhat unique honestly, smoky/peaty, more like an Islay than and Island style malt.

    Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Caol Ila and Ardbeg are all smoky/peaty Islay Malts. Bold the lot.

    I'd suggest a trip to you local (quality) Pub, as both Lagavulin and Laphroaig are very common in the US in bars, and bold enough you may want to taste them before buying a bottle.

    Ardbeg is much less common, so much so, I've not had it as yet.
    Thanks I'll give them a go.

    I've already had Laphroaig with varying results. Sometimes was way overboard peaty for me, other times it hit the spot.

  4. #404
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    凸(⊙▂⊙✖ )
    Posts
    31,215
    have a gif on me gentlemen




  5. #405
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In The Cone of Doom
    Posts
    7,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Gin is my go to pre-dinner cocktail, always. Sometimes G&T but mostly an extra, extra dry martini - really just cold gin in a glass. That's also known as a "Churchill" martini, because that's how he drank them. As long as he faced the direction that France was while drinking, that was enough with which to mix his drink.

    Any favorite gins? Hendricks is my favorite. Warfish would like it, it's a Scottish gin.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tanqueray seems to do it for me as well. All of the others (not a lot of samples) I've tried pales in comparison to it.

  6. #406
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,927
    In an effort to expand my palate, I picked up this today:



    Will be cracking it open for a taste tonight.

    EDIT: Damn that's a big pic. Sorry

  7. #407
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In The Cone of Doom
    Posts
    7,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    In an effort to expand my palate, I picked up this today:



    Will be cracking it open for a taste tonight.

    EDIT: Damn that's a big pic. Sorry
    Yeah, but it's a damn fine picture, so it's got that going for it!

  8. #408
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,927
    My planned next purchase, probably late in May or thereabouts:


  9. #409
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,927
    O, couldn'tfind the above (probably hasn't reached theStates yet).

    Got THIS instead, at $90/Bottle. I am SUPER excited to give it a taste this evening.


  10. #410
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    8,786
    Happy World Whisky Day!!!

  11. #411
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,927
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Happy World Whisky Day!!!
    To you as well my friend, to you as well.

    Hope you have a quality dram planned out

    By the way, an interesting slice of History here, a VA Price List from 1934!

    http://www.abc.virginia.gov/admin/an...ceList1934.pdf
    Last edited by Warfish; 05-17-2014 at 11:03 AM.

  12. #412
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,927
    Thanks to my wife, got my first Glencairn Whisky glass yesterday.

    Enjoyed a few drams in it, got to say, it does as advertised.....if you want to nose and sip a whisky, this is the glass to do it with. The nose hits you like a hammer with this glass, you get the full scent experience.

    They are, though, surprisingly small (more than enough for a single dram of course). Just looks so small in my giant fatman meat hook hands.


  13. #413
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,557
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Gin is my go to pre-dinner cocktail, always. Sometimes G&T but mostly an extra, extra dry martini - really just cold gin in a glass. That's also known as a "Churchill" martini, because that's how he drank them. As long as he faced the direction that France was while drinking, that was enough with which to mix his drink.

    Any favorite gins? Hendricks is my favorite. Warfish would like it, it's a Scottish gin.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Here's a local one I promise you'll love. Best gin I've tried


  14. #414
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    13,557
    IMO a must try:


  15. #415
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    8,786
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Thanks to my wife, got my first Glencairn Whisky glass yesterday.

    Enjoyed a few drams in it, got to say, it does as advertised.....if you want to nose and sip a whisky, this is the glass to do it with. The nose hits you like a hammer with this glass, you get the full scent experience.

    They are, though, surprisingly small (more than enough for a single dram of course). Just looks so small in my giant fatman meat hook hands.

    That was the most surprising thing about them for me as well. I got the set with the soapstones per Stokes' recommendation.

  16. #416
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,108
    Sweet jesus... this is the first i've seen of this thread! Fantastique!

    I'll try and chew through the 20 pages or so, but i'm looking for a good beginner's Bourbon. Presently I enjoy my JW platinum, Lagavulin - and of course my selection of XO's (primarily Remy & Hennessy)

    Any fans of the above?
    Last edited by Paradis; 05-23-2014 at 11:47 AM.

  17. #417
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    742 Evergreen Terrace
    Posts
    11,104
    I'm almost done with a bottle of this ass-kicker. It's cask strength, so there's a definite burn up front, but the finish is ridic. Tried two neat and then had to add some water. Just an eye-dropper full opened up even more flavors and got rid of the burn. Highly recommend the scotch and trying it without water first and then adding a tiny amount.


  18. #418
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Barcelona Catalunya
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    have a gif on me gentlemen



    I wouldn't mind a bottle of that myself.

    whisky.jpg

  19. #419
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    8,786
    Enjoying some of this tonight. So effing smooth:


  20. #420
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Thanks to my wife, got my first Glencairn Whisky glass yesterday.

    Enjoyed a few drams in it, got to say, it does as advertised.....if you want to nose and sip a whisky, this is the glass to do it with. The nose hits you like a hammer with this glass, you get the full scent experience.

    They are, though, surprisingly small (more than enough for a single dram of course). Just looks so small in my giant fatman meat hook hands.

    Far and away the best way to experience whisky.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us