Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 440 of 493

Thread: The Scotch/Whiskey/Bourbon thread (Expanded)

  1. #421
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Enjoying some of this tonight. So effing smooth:

    Glennmorangie's line is second to none. The Quinta Ruban (extra mature in port wine casks) and Lasanta (sherry) are excellent and actually less expensive that the Nector D'or, which is awesomely smooth. I much prefer Glenmorangie's extra matured products to the Original or even the 18 Year Old Rare that I've had. However, I have to say that Signet is second to none, and is an excellent value buy at Budgetbottle.com; I always ask for a bottle for my birthday and Christmas.

    Also, if your palate likes the complexities of an extra matured product, The Balvenie Carribean Cask is excellent.

  2. #422
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    8,969
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Glennmorangie's line is second to none. The Quinta Ruban (extra mature in port wine casks) and Lasanta (sherry) are excellent and actually less expensive that the Nector D'or, which is awesomely smooth. I much prefer Glenmorangie's extra matured products to the Original or even the 18 Year Old Rare that I've had. However, I have to say that Signet is second to none, and is an excellent value buy at Budgetbottle.com; I always ask for a bottle for my birthday and Christmas.

    Also, if your palate likes the complexities of an extra matured product, The Balvenie Carribean Cask is excellent.
    Agreed, love all of Glenmorangie's line and am fortunate to have owned and sampled each that you named. That price for the Signet is ridiculous!!! I'll have to see if the new liquor store I've started frequenting can come close to matching it. The minute I walked I was enamored with the place; about 20 brands of single-malt scotch were represented, the owner is a scotch drinker, willing to order anything and even asked for suggestions.

    I've tried the Balvenie, liked, didn't love it. I preferred the Doublewood more. I don't think I've quite reached the point where I can truly consider myself to be an aficionado and appreciate all aspects that you mention. But I'll continue to practice until I do.

  3. #423
    Two New Additions, front and center:



    Auchentoshan 12 Year Old Lowland Single Malt

    And Highland Park 12 Year Old Highland (Orkney Island) Single Malt

    Both new to me, never tasted either before, so looking forward to the next week of tastings.

  4. #424

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    ...OBAN is a real gem. Laphroig is too peaty/ leathery for me. I do like the Macallan 17 year old. Expensive.... but drink small amounts so, it lasts.

    .... Have to try the Balvenie--- maybe if the Jets win their first game.

  5. #425
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagirt View Post
    ...OBAN is a real gem.
    Oban has always been a favorite of mine, the only drawback (If it is one) is the cost of entry.

    The standard 14 year expression costs upwards of $77 here in VA.

    Thats a bit too pricey for a standard for me, making it more of an occasional enjoyment.

  6. #426
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,649
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Two New Additions, front and center:



    Auchentoshan 12 Year Old Lowland Single Malt

    And Highland Park 12 Year Old Highland (Orkney Island) Single Malt

    Both new to me, never tasted either before, so looking forward to the next week of tastings.

    That's a hell of a bar right there.

  7. #427
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    742 Evergreen Terrace
    Posts
    11,470
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Two New Additions, front and center:



    Auchentoshan 12 Year Old Lowland Single Malt

    And Highland Park 12 Year Old Highland (Orkney Island) Single Malt

    Both new to me, never tasted either before, so looking forward to the next week of tastings.
    Nice set up. Do you actually use the jigger to measure?! Just pour it!

  8. #428
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Nice set up. Do you actually use the jigger to measure?! Just pour it!
    Thanks.

    The measure is only for mixed drinks. Rusty Scotsman, Whisky Sours, Scotch & Ginger, Bourbons & Coke, etc.

    Higher quality Single Malts are generally poured strait, served neat, no measure, no ice.

    Blendeds and average quality single malt (along with Bourbon) will often find it's way inot a nice, cold, mixed drink in the afternoon.

  9. #429
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    742 Evergreen Terrace
    Posts
    11,470
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Thanks.

    The measure is only for mixed drinks. Rusty Scotsman, Whisky Sours, Scotch & Ginger, Bourbons & Coke, etc.

    Higher quality Single Malts are generally poured strait, served neat, no measure, no ice.

    Blendeds and average quality single malt (along with Bourbon) will often find it's way inot a nice, cold, mixed drink in the afternoon.
    I like your style, dude.


  10. #430
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Oban has always been a favorite of mine, the only drawback (If it is one) is the cost of entry.

    The standard 14 year expression costs upwards of $77 here in VA.

    Thats a bit too pricey for a standard for me, making it more of an occasional enjoyment.
    Recently received the Oban as a gift. At first tasting it was not bad, but did not leave an impression on me. The second time I had some, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

    Also just purchased a Macallum 12. Very nice, but the less expensive glenmorangie lasanta was its equal.
    Last edited by SONNY WERBLIN; 06-04-2014 at 11:52 PM.

  11. #431
    This weekends aquisituion, a chance of pace...


  12. #432
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagirt View Post
    ...OBAN is a real gem. Laphroig is too peaty/ leathery for me. I do like the Macallan 17 year old. Expensive.... but drink small amounts so, it lasts.

    .... Have to try the Balvenie--- maybe if the Jets win their first game.
    You don't have to wait that long.

  13. #433
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    13,156

  14. #434
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    742 Evergreen Terrace
    Posts
    11,470
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Right? I mentioned this to Paulie a few months ago. Stuff's the tits. This is a thing, too. I've yet to try it.


  15. #435
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    13,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Right? I mentioned this to Paulie a few months ago. Stuff's the tits. This is a thing, too. I've yet to try it.

    That's my next target.

    For me they've found the perfect sweet/peat mix.

  16. #436
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,088
    Pu$$ies!

    Sorry all to put it that way,, but only one way to go.

    Ride the White Lightning and than come talk, and Firefly is not even a top choice but there is nothing like Moonshine.

    fireflymoonshine.jpg

  17. #437
    Quote Originally Posted by leftturn3 View Post
    Pu$$ies!

    Sorry all to put it that way,, but only one way to go.

    Ride the White Lightning and than come talk, and Firefly is not even a top choice but there is nothing like Moonshine.

    fireflymoonshine.jpg
    Flavored Moonshine? And WE are the pussies?

    If you say so, if I want something that tastes like crap and needs flavoring to be palatable, and generally only exists to get smashed, I'll stcik with old-school Everclear Grain 190.

    But by all means, enjoy your Strawberry Shine.

  18. #438
    Schluberator & Gadfly
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,710
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Flavored Moonshine? And WE are the pussies?

    If you say so, if I want something that tastes like crap and needs flavoring to be palatable, and generally only exists to get smashed, I'll stcik with old-school Everclear Grain 190.

    But by all means, enjoy your Strawberry Shine.
    Psssttt........some may still not know what Everclear is. Got any grape juice? lol

  19. #439
    My new favorite cold refreshing, yet still manly whisky-drink drink, is Bulliet Rye & Ginger Ale.

    Good good stuff.

  20. #440
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    My new favorite cold refreshing, yet still manly whisky-drink drink, is Bulliet Rye & Ginger Ale.

    Good good stuff.
    If you are going to go with a mixer with your whiskey, ginger ale is the best, IMO.
    Last edited by crasherino; 06-20-2014 at 05:53 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us