Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: The Scotch/Whiskey/Bourbon thread (Expanded)

Waterboy
    I'm lucky enough to live in Scotland, so I'm able to visit distilleries and get tasters...

My favourite tipple just now is this.

I've also had and finished the lovely Port Wood & Bordeaux finishes.

Veteran
    I've been trying some Japanese malts lately they're a little rough for my taste but this is the best so far:

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by The Turk View Post
    I've been trying some Japanese malts lately they're a little rough for my taste but this is the best so far:

They were recommended to me as well, but I thought they were considered to be smooth. Same for the one or two Indian malts out there. What exactly about the Japanese malts do you find rough?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    They were recommended to me as well, but I thought they were considered to be smooth. Same for the one or two Indian malts out there. What exactly about the Japanese malts do you find rough?
    I've never had any indian malts so can't comment on those but with the Japanese ones I can taste the alcohol a little too much and I can't discern much aroma of anything.

But maybe its just me

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    I know this isn't scotch but anyone ever try this? I had the pleasure of being introduced to this on Super Bowl Sunday. Drink it neat. Instant love......

Last edited by THE_SOOTHSAYER; 02-05-2013 at 10:22 PM.

Jets Insider VIP

Jets Insider VIP
    Going to give this a whirl later this evening:

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    I expanded the thread to cover all premium brown liquors.

All Pro

I treated myself on a whim to this @ Christmas when I went in to buy some other stuff at my local emporium. The cute sales gal and the free Tshirt Flask and Mini-billfold gifts were throw-ins

Not really knowing much about scotch beyond Dewar's (always preferred Irish whiskey like Powers to scotch) it won my on-the-spot taste test agin' Chivas 12 she was also hawking.

As I dont mind using higher end liquor in cocktails even though my inner snob says to drink the likes o' those and this delishus blend neat, what do youse like to do? Is this wasted in an Old Fashioned, Ginger ale, or Godfather?

Jets Insider VIP

Doctor Prescribed

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    No need to start a new one. I dig this

_
    Woodford is GREAT! Discovered it this past New Year's after drinking other bourbons for a while. Smooth and has a few different flavors to it. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJoe View Post
    Woodford is GREAT! Discovered it this past New Year's after drinking other bourbons for a while. Smooth and has a few different flavors to it. Cheers!
    I started getting into bourbon a little bit. I'm enjoying this stuff. You bourbon folks dig it?

Also, is sipping bourbon over ice candy ass? Just askin'.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I started getting into bourbon a little bit. I'm enjoying this stuff. You bourbon folks dig it?

Also, is sipping bourbon over ice candy ass? Just askin'.
    Thats a nice bourbon - especially for the price point. Haven't had it for a while but I was on an Eagle Rare kick not too long ago.

I've been drinking WL Weller recently - cracked open a bottle at home not too long ago and found it at a few bar/restaurants recently. Very reasonable price and a better wheater than Makers, IMO.

I also picked up a couple bottles of Jefferson 18 which is essentially the same juice as Pappy Van Winkle (the last of the SW distillery stock). Different price point than the stuff above (I got it for $89, no idea how it compares elsewhere), but its really really good. Being that finding Van Winkle (Pappy or otherwise) is such a pain in the ass that its not worth it, I would definitely recommend picking some of this up.

And as far as drinking bourbon on the rocks, its not candy ass at all . In fact, you are supposed to drink it with ice or water to "open" the booze. Regardless, considering what most people drink, whiskey on the rocks is pretty hard core. If someone gives you **** for it, punch him in the nose and **** his wife.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Thats a nice bourbon - especially for the price point. Haven't had it for a while but I was on an Eagle Rare kick not too long ago.

I've been drinking WL Weller recently - cracked open a bottle at home not too long ago and found it at a few bar/restaurants recently. Very reasonable price and a better wheater than Makers, IMO.

I also picked up a couple bottles of Jefferson 18 which is essentially the same juice as Pappy Van Winkle (the last of the SW distillery stock). Different price point than the stuff above (I got it for $89, no idea how it compares elsewhere), but its really really good. Being that finding Van Winkle (Pappy or otherwise) is such a pain in the ass that its not worth it, I would definitely recommend picking some of this up.

And as far as drinking bourbon on the rocks, its not candy ass at all . In fact, you are supposed to drink it with ice or water to "open" the booze. Regardless, considering what most people drink, whiskey on the rocks is pretty hard core. If someone gives you **** for it, punch him in the nose and **** his wife.
    Wow, you're light years beyond me in terms of palate and understanding of bourbon. It's been a process, but am really starting to enjoy it.
    From my novice perspective, I thought the Eagle Rare was a slight step up over Maker's Mark. I got it for about $25, which is pretty good, I guess.

Thanks also for explaining that "on the rocks" isn't a chicken s hit move. You're right about it opening up the flavor nuances.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Wow, you're light years beyond me in terms of palate and understanding of bourbon. It's been a process, but am really starting to enjoy it.
    From my novice perspective, I thought the Eagle Rare was a slight step up over Maker's Mark. I got it for about $25, which is pretty good, I guess.

Thanks also for explaining that "on the rocks" isn't a chicken s hit move. You're right about it opening up the flavor nuances.
    I know a wee bit about bourbon, but I can't honestly that I have a great palate for it. I know what I like and what I don't, but beyond that, I can't really accurately break it down with any great detail.

One easy thing to focus on - there are two types of bourbons - ryes and wheaters with the obvious explaination that the remaining grain (after the corn - which is always 51% or greater) is predominantly one or the other. I drink both happily, but I prefer the wheated ones overall (I think). Makers is a wheated bourbon as is the Weller I referenced above as well the Van Winkle line and a bunch of others.

I know a wee bit about bourbon, but I can't honestly that I have a great palate for it. I know what I like and what I don't, but beyond that, I can't really accurately break it down with any great detail.

One easy thing to focus on - there are two types of bourbons - ryes and wheaters with the obvious explaination that the remaining grain (after the corn - which is always 51% or greater) is predominantly one or the other. I drink both happily, but I prefer the wheated ones overall (I think). Makers is a wheated bourbon as is the Weller I referenced above as well the Van Winkle line and a bunch of others.
    Thanks for the breakdown, crash. I will continue to taste (that's all the fun as long as you have the cash to spend on bourbon), as well as craft a few desserts with bourbon.
    Over the holidays, I made a chocolate bourbon cake which was insanely good/decadent.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

If someone gives you **** for it, punch him in the nose and **** his wife.
    Just saw Southside in a bar, there was an unconscious chick on the floor with a bloody nose..... and he was ****ing the husband.

Not good with directions apparently.

-

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Just saw Southside in a bar, there was an unconscious chick on the floor with a bloody nose..... and he was ****ing the husband.

Not good with directions apparently.

-
    You should have seen his embarrassing faux pas last year when he attended Rosh Hashanah services and was told to blow the shofar.
    Luckily, southside met a livery driver outside the temple who was receptive to his request.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    THIS BUT 15 yr.!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by harts24 View Post
    THIS BUT 15 yr.!!!
    No question on the quality of the 15, but for $40 a bottle, you'd be hard-pressed to find better.