Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 493

Thread: The Scotch/Whiskey/Bourbon thread (Expanded)

  1. #61
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post

    Dalmore is some quality stuff. I'm going to a tasting sponsored by them at a watch event come September.
    A scotch/watch event? PM me the details.

  2. #62
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,513
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Dalmore is some quality stuff. I'm going to a tasting sponsored by them at a watch event come September.



    The guy at my liquor store here suggested it and I've Been enjoying it. It opens up nice.

    Pm me info on the tasting

  3. #63
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    9,092

    For later this evening


  4. #64
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Rockland County
    Posts
    399
    I'll have to check out those Glencairn glasses. For me and a few friends of mine that enjoy scotch.

    Was just treated to some excellent Glenmorangie Finealta, and the very peaty Lagavulin 16. If you have the room in your cabinet/bar, Lagavulin is a nice addition just for that peaty contrast alone.






    right now I personally own that special occasion bottle of Blue for VIP guests and Macallan 12 when I'm not drinking bourbon. But I think my tastes may have evolved to the things above next time I'm in the market.

  5. #65
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    742 Evergreen Terrace
    Posts
    11,556
    Quote Originally Posted by majormajor42 View Post
    and the very peaty Lagavulin 16. If you have the room in your cabinet/bar, Lagavulin is a nice addition just for that peaty contrast alone.


    You've inspired me to get this today.

    Edit:
    Last edited by Jets Things; 03-10-2012 at 05:26 PM.

  6. #66
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Quote Originally Posted by majormajor42 View Post

    I'll have to check out those Glencairn glasses. For me and a few friends of mine that enjoy scotch.
    The glasses are great.

    _

  7. #67
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    9,092

    Tonight's choice


  8. #68
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    9,092

    Talking Celebrating no work tomorrow


  9. #69
    Won this baby at a beefsteak on wednesday. I can't wait to break it open. I've never owned scotch of this caliber before


  10. #70
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    9,092
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Won this baby at a beefsteak on wednesday. I can't wait to break it open. I've never owned scotch of this caliber before

    Nice!!! I'm assuming it's cask strength? That will (pleasantly) put you on your ass!

  11. #71
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    My balls.

    You know what to do.

    Seriously dude, congrats.

    _

  12. #72
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,418
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    Nice!!! I'm assuming it's cask strength? That will (pleasantly) put you on your ass!
    Does the proof in scotch vary much? I always thought it stayed pretty much the same - in the vicinity of 80 proof.

    Bourbons go anywhere from 80 to 130 (or higher even). Huge difference there.

  13. #73
    In Scotland, in Edinburgh, we went into a number of what my wife and I called "Beach Stores".

    You know the kind of place I'm talking about. A tourism-oriented shop selling all variatons of tourist crap and such, at a beach it would be towels, chairs, stickers (OC, OBX, etc) kids stuff, toys and sand-play stuff, etc. Tourist Trap Shops, in other words, spead along the Royal Mile, and in the higher class "New Town" shopping district.

    In Scotland, you saw all the expected stuff, Tartans, Family Clan History Booklets, Argyle and Cashmere sweaters, furry Highland Cow and Sheep stuffed animals, flags and Scottish smbol-clad knick-knacks, etc, etc, etc.

    The difference was, in the back of each of these Scottish "Beach Shops" was something you'd find in no Beach Shop I know of.

    The Wall of Soctch.

    And I mean a wall. Often more than one wall, actually, but the entire back wall and side walls of the shop, covered floor to ceiling in Scotches.

    And not just Scotches we all have listed and (most of us) have drunk here. I mean literally thousands of brands, the vast majority of whom I've never even heard of. Bottlings ranging from as cheap as (my old youthful poor taste fav.) Cutty Sark, to bottles with price labels attached than ran easily into the 4 digits (and $1,000 pounds was not the lowest by any means). Ages ranging from youthful 10 year olds, to 21 years and some quite older still.....

    A Wall. Of Scotch.

    This wall was usually defended, manning by a man in kilt and full professional highland dress (think suit + kilt), the shops Scotch expert, who could go on at length about the flavor, character, locale and more of each of these thousands of bottles of liquid gold.

    It was a sight to see my freinds. Behind the fuzzy stuffed animals, rack of shotglasses with family crests and the rows of cashmere family tartan tam-o-shanters and scarves......an entire Wall of Scotch.

    It almost brough a tear to my eye, I have to admit.

    A close second for me, I have to admit, was having a pint of Guiness and a shot of Irish Whiskey whist sitting in a small Pub in a small village on the coast of Ireland.
    Last edited by Warfish; 05-07-2012 at 11:30 AM.

  14. #74
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    742 Evergreen Terrace
    Posts
    11,556
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Does the proof in scotch vary much? I always thought it stayed pretty much the same - in the vicinity of 80 proof.

    Bourbons go anywhere from 80 to 130 (or higher even). Huge difference there.
    Depends on the distiller, but it's usually 80 proof. Cask strength will always be higher.

  15. #75
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,857
    Glad to see all these single malt afficionados here at JI..

    Hard to believe there are still many people out there still paying big bux for "blended' scotch whiskies when what they blend the malt with is cheap grain whisky from a coffey still

    Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

  16. #76
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    5,711
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Glad to see all these single malt afficionados here at JI..

    Hard to believe there are still many people out there still paying big bux for "blended' scotch whiskies when what they blend the malt with is cheap grain whisky from a coffey still

    Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
    I used to drink blended but never again. I have seen the light.

  17. #77
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,418
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    I used to drink blended but never again. I have seen the light.
    Interesting - I know a number of people who really prefer blended scotches. And not simply the low end swill, but they'll break open the Royal Salute and other high end blends as well on occasion.

    My father swears by his Johnnie Walker Black. Won't drink red and doesn't see the need for anything higher, and doesn't really care for most single malts. Will drink different variants of Old Grouse as well.

    I don't have a taste for Scotch so I can't comment but the whole single malt vs. blended debate is interesting to me. Some folks, who take their whiskey seriously, seem to prefer blends. As with everything, its a matter of taste, I guess.

  18. #78
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    9,092
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    In Scotland, in Edinburgh, we went into a number of what my wife and I called "Beach Stores".

    You know the kind of place I'm talking about. A tourism-oriented shop selling all variatons of tourist crap and such, at a beach it would be towels, chairs, stickers (OC, OBX, etc) kids stuff, toys and sand-play stuff, etc. Tourist Trap Shops, in other words, spead along the Royal Mile, and in the higher class "New Town" shopping district.

    In Scotland, you saw all the expected stuff, Tartans, Family Clan History Booklets, Argyle and Cashmere sweaters, furry Highland Cow and Sheep stuffed animals, flags and Scottish smbol-clad knick-knacks, etc, etc, etc.

    The difference was, in the back of each of these Scottish "Beach Shops" was something you'd find in no Beach Shop I know of.

    The Wall of Soctch.

    And I mean a wall. Often more than one wall, actually, but the entire back wall and side walls of the shop, covered floor to ceiling in Scotches.

    And not just Scotches we all have listed and (most of us) have drunk here. I mean literally thousands of brands, the vast majority of whom I've never even heard of. Bottlings ranging from as cheap as (my old youthful poor taste fav.) Cutty Sark, to bottles with price labels attached than ran easily into the 4 digits (and $1,000 pounds was not the lowest by any means). Ages ranging from youthful 10 year olds, to 21 years and some quite older still.....

    A Wall. Of Scotch.

    This wall was usually defended, manning by a man in kilt and full professional highland dress (think suit + kilt), the shops Scotch expert, who could go on at length about the flavor, character, locale and more of each of these thousands of bottles of liquid gold.

    It was a sight to see my freinds. Behind the fuzzy stuffed animals, rack of shotglasses with family crests and the rows of cashmere family tartan tam-o-shanters and scarves......an entire Wall of Scotch.

    It almost brough a tear to my eye, I have to admit.

    A close second for me, I have to admit, was having a pint of Guiness and a shot of Irish Whiskey whist sitting in a small Pub in a small village on the coast of Ireland.

  19. #79
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post

    The Wall of Soctch.
    I can't wait to take my sopne here.

    _

  20. #80
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    9,092

    Thumbs up Friday's Choice


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us