Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post office reform

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar

Post office reform

I like the idea of selling off Post Offices buildings, cutting delivery to 5 days and allowing the PO to raise their rates.

[URL="http://www.northjersey.com/news/Obama_endorses_ending_1_day_of_mail_delivery.html"]www.northjersey.com/[/URL]

[QUOTE]

Obama endorses ending 1 day of mail delivery

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama said Monday the U.S. Postal Service should be allowed to reduce mail delivery to five-days-a-week to help cut its massive losses.

The Postal Service lost $8.5 billion last year and is facing even more red ink this year as the Internet siphons off large amounts of first-class mail and the weak economy reduces advertising mail.

While the post office has cut more than 100,000 workers in the last few years it needs to cut more, close offices and find other ways to reduce costs to keep operating.

In his economic growth and debt reduction plan unveiled Monday, Obama endorsed the idea of dropping one day of mail delivery — it is expected to be Saturday — and urged other changes in postal operations

He agreed that nearly $7 billion the post office has overpaid into the federal retirement system should be refunded to the agency, urged that its payments for advance funding of retiree medical benefits be restructured, and said the post office should be allowed to sell non-postal products and raise postage rates.

Currently the post office cannot raise rates more than the amount of inflation.

Sen. Tom Carper, D-Del., who has proposed a bill including many of the same suggestions, welcomed the president's statement.

"I have been saying for some time now that Congress and the administration need to come together on a plan that can save the Postal Service and protect the more than seven million jobs that rely on it," he said in a statement.

Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., who has his own postal reform bill in the House, responded that "the president's proposal is not what taxpayers or the Postal Service needs."

He asserted that Obama's plan "will certainly cost taxpayers money." Currently the post office does not receive tax funds for its operations.

Meanwhile, 75 members of Congress led by Reps. Gerry Connolly, D-Va., and Don Young, R-Alaska, called on the independent Postal Regulatory Commission to block the post office's plans to close as many as 3,700 local offices across the country.

The proposed closures, most in rural locations that do little business, are currently under review.

The letter called for establishment of a new business model for the post office without closing offices and cutting its work force.

[/QUOTE]

Issa's plan

[URL="http://postandparcel.info/40293/news/darrell-issa-proposes-sweeping-reforms-for-usps/"]postandparcel.info/[/URL]

[QUOTE]

Darrell Issa proposes “sweeping” reforms for USPS
    Thursday, June 23rd, 2011

A key Republican in the US Congress has unveiled his proposals to reform the US Postal Service through creation of a new Solvency Authority.

Darrell Issa, the chairman of the powerful House Oversight Committee, said his Postal Reform Act would bring “sweeping, structural reforms” of USPS to reduce its costs.

But, while Issa would give USPS freedom to move to five-day delivery services, he would not allow reforms to pension and benefit funding arrangements, or access to multi-billion dollar pension surpluses.

The Issa bill would create a new agency, officially titled the Postal Service Responsibility and Management Assistance Authority, with a mandate to slim down the USPS and bring it back to fiscal solvency.

Issa said his agency would be triggered to convene when USPS defaults on its government payments, and would be disbanded once USPS meets certain financial health goals.

Despite his belief on slimming down government, Issa also wants to create a new Commission on Postal Reorganisation to force through postal facility closures worth $1bn a year, which would include shuttering 30% of management facilities. The Commission would report direct to Congress.

“This legislation encourages USPS to modernize its retail network and enables USPS to act more like a business,” Issa said.

The Congressman from California’s other ideas include bringing postal worker wages in line with “the entire private sector” and benefits in line with other federal employees, which he said would save $700m a year.

“Out-of-control labour costs”

Announcing his legislation this afternoon, Issa said that the Postal Service was expected to lose $8.3bn this year and $8.5bn next year on present course.

He said: “Congress can’t keep kicking the can down the road on out-of-control labour costs and excess infrastructure of USPS, and needs to implement reforms that aren’t a multi-billion dollar taxpayer-funded bailout.”

For mailers, Issa’s proposals could see a hike in postal rates, with his intention to ensure all market-dominant products cover their costs, and for rates on services falling below 90% of cost coverage to go up by 5%. However, Issa also says the CPI price cap should be maintained.

Other proposals within Issa’s bill include requirements for the Postal Service to sell advertising space on its facilities and vehicles, provide more services for state governments and crack down on conflicts of interest in the awarding of contracts.

Issa said he believed his Postal Reform Act would save USPS $6bn a year, while his new Authority would bring costs into line to “avoid the prospect of taxpayer bailouts in the future”.

Mail industry group PostCom said today the Issa proposals represented “the most fundamental reform of the postal service that has been proposed since USPS was first created from the old Post Office Department”.

Source: James Cartledge, Post&Parcel

[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    In my opinion, the reform needs to go much further. It's time to take the USPS into the 21st century.

Cut service from 6 days to 3 days (M, W, F)
    Variable postage rates (Local: $0.25, In-state: $0.50, Out-of-state: $0.75)
    Eliminate reduced rates for junk mail (they should pay the same rates as everyone else)
    Eliminate roughly half of the Post Offices around the country

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=parafly;4151839]In my opinion, the reform needs to go much further. It's time to take the USPS into the 21st century.

Eliminate reduced rates for junk mail (they should pay the same rates as everyone else)
    Eliminate roughly half of the Post Offices around the country[/QUOTE]

I agree with the days...BUT the union nor the politicians will never do it. They FEAR the union.

Let them raise rates....junk mail will decline tremendously and the PO will have near ZERO revenue. It is a service that is rarely used or needed anymore.

But lets pay them all pensions of 40K to 60K and health insurance for life. Wearing that pretty uniform and safari helmet is dangerous work.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4151867]I agree with the days...BUT the union nor the politicians will never do it. They FEAR the union.

Let them raise rates....junk mail will decline tremendously and the PO will have near ZERO revenue. It is a service that is rarely used or needed anymore.

But lets pay them all pensions of 40K to 60K and health insurance for life. Wearing that pretty uniform and safari helmet is dangerous work.[/QUOTE]

Really?
    [url]http://devoutinfidel.wordpress.com/2011/08/19/u-s-postal-service-asks-congress-to-lay-off-120000-workers/#[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4151867]I agree with the days...BUT the union nor the politicians will never do it. They FEAR the union.

But lets pay them all pensions of 40K to 60K and health insurance for life. Wearing that pretty uniform and safari helmet is dangerous work.[/QUOTE]

Yes, yes and I'm sure you have a nasty callous on your index finger, Mr. Number-Cruncher.:rolleyes: Certainly justifies what you and your compatriots charge to exploi, err, make sense of and fill out a convoluted, government-mandated, civil-service created tax code/form.

I'm not sure about the feds, but locally many retiree health benefits are not static and can be redefined at every contract negotiation.

[QUOTE=cr726;4151918]Really?
    [url]http://devoutinfidel.wordpress.com/2011/08/19/u-s-postal-service-asks-congress-to-lay-off-120000-workers/#[/url][/QUOTE]

Thank you for pointing this article out CR! This one of the few common sense things you have posted here. The post office cant even lay off workers because the unions wont let them. It requires an act of congress to remove collective bargaining rights to allow the layoffs. This is a great point CR and speaks to the larger issue of how stifled local governments and generally all federal and municipal agencies are because of collective extortion by the unions. Great Stuff!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4151966]Thank you for pointing this article out CR! This one of the few common sense things you have posted here. The post office cant even lay off workers because the unions wont let them. It requires an act of congress to remove collective bargaining rights to allow the layoffs. This is a great point CR and speaks to the larger issue of how stifled local governments and generally all federal and municipal agencies are because of collective extortion by the unions. Great Stuff![/QUOTE]

Agreed...long story short. Government is run like a joke.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4151950]Yes, yes and I'm sure you have a nasty callous on your index finger, Mr. Number-Cruncher.:rolleyes: Certainly justifies what you and your compatriots charge to exploi, err, make sense of and fill out a convoluted, government-mandated, civil-service created tax code/form.

I'm not sure about the feds, but locally many retiree health benefits are not static and can be redefined at every contract negotiation.[/QUOTE]

I made a VERY good living before I developed an expertise in taxation.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4151978]Agreed...long story short. Government is run like a joke.[/QUOTE]

Yup all bad and lucky for you do not ever need anything from the big bag govt.
    Last edited by cr726; 09-20-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4151982]I made a VERY good living before I developed an expertise in taxation.[/QUOTE]

So...you'll be lining up to pay your money back, right? :P

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4151996]So...you'll be lining up to pay your money back, right? :P[/QUOTE]

Yup and when he stops working The good residents of Charlotte will
    Move onto the next arrogant expert CPA. No, no, you're special.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4151982]I made a VERY good living before I developed an expertise in taxation.[/QUOTE]

Ya lost me...:huh:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4152021]Ya lost me...:huh:[/QUOTE]

I wasnt sure what your point was either so we are even.

[QUOTE=cr726;4152008]Yup and when he stops working The good residents of Charlotte will
    Move onto the next arrogant expert CPA. No, no, you're special.[/QUOTE]

Come on CR, you are better than that.:tsk:

[QUOTE=parafly;4151839]In my opinion, the reform needs to go much further. It's time to take the USPS into the 21st century.

Eliminate roughly half of the Post Offices around the country[/QUOTE]

I agree with all of these, except eliminating so many post offices. I can never find a close post office on that one day a year when I need to go to one.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Ernie;4152115]Come on CR, you are better than that.:tsk:[/QUOTE]

No he's not....164 posts and you haven't figured out the civil servants circling the wagons and spitting venom?;)

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar

It was the Politicians prompted by their constituents who have put a post office in nearly every town in the northeast. Not the Unions.

If you stand in the Post office in my home town in NJ there are at least 5 other Post offices within 5 miles.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4152136]No he's not....164 posts and you haven't figured out the civil servants circling the wagons and spitting venom?;)[/QUOTE]

Just trying to bring out the goodness that everyone has inherent in themselves. We all have it, just in some people we must look harder.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4152136]No he's not....164 posts and you haven't figured out the civil servants circling the wagons and spitting venom?;)[/QUOTE]

Ernie knows CR more than the 164 posts on this board.

He's Sackdance99...a previous banned poster from here....
    Last edited by PlumberKhan; 09-21-2011 at 07:35 AM.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4152244]Ernie knows CR more than the 164 posts on this board.

He's Sackdance99...a previous banned poster from here....[/QUOTE]

Brother Plumber, we had this discussion before. I am not Bernie. When have you ever seen me damn someone to eternal hell? Seriously.