Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Faster than the Speed of Light?

Faster than the Speed of Light?

We don't have a science forum but I bleive this counts as a "world event". Scientist at Cern can't figure out why their measuements show subatomic particles traveling FASTER than the speed of light. Wow, first they can't find any evidene that the theorized Higgs Bossom actually exists, and now stuff moving faster than the speed of light. Physics will never be the same.

[QUOTE]
    Speed-of-light experiments give baffling result at Cern
    By Jason Palmer

Puzzling results from Cern, home of the LHC, have confounded physicists - because it appears subatomic particles have exceeded the speed of light.

Neutrinos sent through the ground from Cern toward the Gran Sasso laboratory 732km away seemed to show up a tiny fraction of a second early.

The result - which threatens to upend a century of physics - will be put online for scrutiny by other scientists.

In the meantime, the group says it is being very cautious about its claims.

"We tried to find all possible explanations for this," said report author Antonio Ereditato of the Opera collaboration.

"We wanted to find a mistake - trivial mistakes, more complicated mistakes, or nasty effects - and we didn't," he told BBC News.

"When you don't find anything, then you say 'Well, now I'm forced to go out and ask the community to scrutinise this.'"

Caught speeding?

The speed of light is the Universe's ultimate speed limit, and much of modern physics - as laid out in part by Albert Einstein in his special theory of relativity - depends on the idea that nothing can exceed it.

Thousands of experiments have been undertaken to measure it ever more precisely, and no result has ever spotted a particle breaking the limit.

But Dr Ereditato and his colleagues have been carrying out an experiment for the last three years that seems to suggest neutrinos have done just that.

Neutrinos come in a number of types, and have recently been seen to switch spontaneously from one type to another.

The team prepares a beam of just one type, muon neutrinos, sending them from Cern to an underground laboratory at Gran Sasso in Italy to see how many show up as a different type, tau neutrinos.

In the course of doing the experiments, the researchers noticed that the particles showed up a few billionths of a second sooner than light would over the same distance.

The team measured the travel times of neutrino bunches some 15,000 times, and have reached a level of statistical significance that in scientific circles would count as a formal discovery.

But the group understands that what are known as "systematic errors" could easily make an erroneous result look like a breaking of the ultimate speed limit, and that has motivated them to publish their measurements.

"My dream would be that another, independent experiment finds the same thing - then I would be relieved," Dr Ereditato said.

But for now, he explained, "we are not claiming things, we want just to be helped by the community in understanding our crazy result - because it is crazy".

"And of course the consequences can be very serious."

[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15017484[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Spool up the FTL drive and get ready to jump! :rockon:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIniweFOthM[/url]

[QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;4154642]We don't have a science forum but....[/QUOTE]

All jokes and sarcasm aside, a Science Forum would be very very cool. :yes:

[SIZE="1"]As long as I can talk a little Science Fiction in there too, me and Stokes.[/SIZE]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4154700]All jokes and sarcasm aside, a Science Forum would be very very cool. :yes:[/QUOTE]

We'd all expose ourselves as geeks, Fish. That wouldn't be good...

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4154730]We'd all expose ourselves as geeks, Fish. That wouldn't be good...[/QUOTE]

As if that hasn't happened already, right?

You DO realize we spend half our day in here, talking pure utter ****e to others who we'll never convince about other pure utter ****e, right?

:D

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4154732]As if that hasn't happened already, right?

You DO realize we spend half our day in here, talking pure utter ****e to others who we'll never convince about other pure utter ****e, right?

:D[/QUOTE]

I tell the GF I'm surfing for pron...not talking about the death penalty or the right for Palestine to exist as a state....:D

She asks me what I'm doing on the computer and I just grunt and maybe let out a fart. lolz....

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4154736]I tell the GF I'm surfing for pron...not talking about the death penalty or the right for Palestine to exist as a state....:D

She asks me what I'm doing on the computer and I just grunt and maybe let out a fart. lolz....[/QUOTE]

Ha!

Tell Betsy I said "Burp, fart...oh hey Betsy.....burp!"

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4154751]Ha!

Tell Betsy I said "Burp, fart...oh hey Betsy.....burp!"[/QUOTE]

She's freaking passed out. I fed kids, gave baths and just cut my sopnes hair.

She fell off of an extension ladder yesterday painting our barn. She is as sore as hell...

So, I'm gonna Netfilx Alien and Aliens tonight... :D

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;4154642]We don't have a science forum but I bleive this counts as a "world event". Scientist at Cern can't figure out why their measuements show subatomic particles traveling FASTER than the speed of light. Wow, first they can't find any evidene that the theorized Higgs Bossom actually exists, and now stuff moving faster than the speed of light. Physics will never be the same.

[URL]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15017484[/URL][/QUOTE]

Higgs bozon. Higgs bossom?... LOL. Yeah, the God particle is a myth apparently. Now if particles can travel faster than the speed of light, it opens up renewed debate on time travel....

[QUOTE=long island leprechaun;4154806]Higgs bozon. Higgs bossom?... LOL. Yeah, the God particle is a myth apparently. Now if particles can travel faster than the speed of light, it opens up renewed debate on time travel....[/QUOTE]

+1. Thought I had it wrong. Just checked. It's Higgs Boson.;)

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;4154814]+1. Thought I had it wrong. Just checked. It's Higgs Boson.;)[/QUOTE]

It was funny, nevertheless. I was wondering why anyone would be interested in Higgs' bosom. We all knew there was nothing there all along.:D

[QUOTE=long island leprechaun;4154833]It was funny, nevertheless. I was wondering why anyone would be interested in Higgs' bosom. We all knew there was nothing there all along.:D[/QUOTE]

Physics has always intrigued me. I just can not fathom developing a comprehesive understanding of stuff on a "theoretical" level. I was actually quite excited when they could not find the Boson. I like the idea that things are still so complex that we do not have all the answers. Forcing a re-evaluation of e=mc2 would mean there is so much more possible than existing physics would allow.

All League
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4154687]Spool up the FTL drive and get ready to jump! :rockon:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIniweFOthM[/url][/QUOTE]

Yes!

Great show.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4154700]
    [SIZE="1"]As long as I can talk a little Science Fiction in there too, me and Stokes.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I reference Battlestar Galactica and Heinlein's Starship Troopers and you don't include me?

You're Soylent Green to me, now.

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4154842]Yes!

Great show.[/QUOTE]

:yes:

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4154771]She's freaking passed out. I fed kids, gave baths and just cut my sopnes hair.

She fell off of an extension ladder yesterday painting our barn. She is as sore as hell...

So, I'm gonna Netfilx Alien and Aliens tonight... :D[/QUOTE]

Hope she feels better (and didnt hurt herself in the fall).

Good choices on the flicks.:yes:

[QUOTE=Jetworks;4154882]You're Soylent Green to me, now.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsTffYrTMCFAwkbE2WrHtT0msK-_U5dZFzViYFmb1rAfxWAHzg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWIdRYl8O10CzgGMunirUa5oWoQRBFXEsk9V5AmgMGW-1gP1ui[/IMG]
    Last edited by Warfish; 09-22-2011 at 10:39 PM.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar

[QUOTE]
    If I am driving in my car traveling at the speed of light and I turn on my headlights...

does anything happen?

~ Steven Wright
    [/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    Ah, if only the Global Warming crew had taken this approach. :rolleyes:

Not to denigrate Einstein, but the possibility that he was wrong should not be a huge surprise. We think way too highly of ourselves.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    [QUOTE=quantum;4155195]Ah, if only the Global Warming crew had taken this approach. :rolleyes:

Not to denigrate Einstein, but the possibility that he was wrong should not be a huge surprise. We think way too highly of ourselves.[/QUOTE]

Since all new scientific theory and discovery will first need to be peer reviewed by the energy industry’s accountants perhaps a science forum might not be such a good idea.

[QUOTE=Buster;4155626]Since all new scientific theory and discovery will first need to be peer reviewed by the Govt. funded "Big Science" industrial complex, Liberal College Academia and Environmentalist Activist Groups Lobbyists & Lawyers, perhaps a science forum might not be such a good idea.[/QUOTE]

Fixed.;):P:D

But I disagree, Science is cool.

In fairness tho, we cover alot of science-rleated stuff here in the Poli-Sci Forum, and more gets covered int he Hamper. No need for a new seperate forum.

Jets Insider VIP
    This is a good explanation of the possible outcomes if these findings are correct:

[QUOTE]If other labs can reproduce the effect (and no systemic error is found), physicists envision one of two far-reaching outcomes.

[INDENT]1) the CERN team's results could bolster quantum theories of gravity – the last of nature's four fundamental forces scientists are trying to fit under the umbrella of quantum physics. Theories of quantum gravity suggest that at sufficiently high energies, particles can appear to travel faster than light because they traverse extra dimensions of space.

One example is string theory, which posits a universe of many more dimensions than the four humans experience.

"If you have a theory in which there is more than one way to get from A to B, maybe you can have a shortcut and have the appearance of traveling faster than the speed of light," says Stephen Parke, who heads the theoretical physics department at the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Batavia, Ill.

2) A pillar of modern physics – Einstein's theory of special relativity, in which the speed of light is a particle's absolute speed limit – could take its first serious hit. Perhaps not flat wrong, but only a piece of a more complete picture.[/INDENT]
    [/QUOTE]

[URL]http://nextbigfuture.com/[/URL] (I love this site)