JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Oil below $78...

...still paid $4.00 a gallon to fill up this morning

It's all lies.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    $4/gallon?!?!?! I paid 3.33 yesterday and was pissed. How is it possible that oil is that low per barrel but hasn't dropped below a $3.50 national average? Funny on this 6 year chart that plots NJ, US avg gas prices vs crude prices they stey pretty well in sync other than the oil spike in 08 and now. Seems like we are due for a nice healthy drop between the increase for summer blend ending soon and lower oil prices if thing remain the same we should end up near $2 for Thanksgiving.

[IMG]http://66.70.86.64/ChartServer/ch.gaschart?Country=Canada&Crude=t&Period=72&Areas=USA Average,NewJersey,&Unit=US $/G[/IMG]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    well to be honest it was 3.95...premium, in Jersey so I did not get socked with the ridiculous taxes associated with a gallon of gas in NY.

absurd.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4155140]well to be honest it was 3.95...premium, in Jersey so I did not get socked with the ridiculous taxes associated with a gallon of gas in NY.

absurd.[/QUOTE]

you're paying for gas that was bought weeks ago. (yeah, I think its :rolleyes: )

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    we should make sure the oil industry has subsidies so they can continue their track record of stellar service

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4155306]we should make sure the oil industry has subsidies so they can continue their track record of stellar service[/QUOTE]

this is a function of gas station owners, not the oil companies.

your balloon - deflated yet? :D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=quantum;4155324]this is a function of gas station owners, not the oil companies.
    [/QUOTE]

gas station owners are getting a penny per gallon profit sometimes... the oil companies enjoy gov't subsidies that the GOP seem to be reluctant to cut. don't hear alot about that when you guys go on your spending rants.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4155327]gas station owners are getting a penny per gallon profit sometimes... the oil companies enjoy gov't subsidies that the GOP seem to be reluctant to cut. don't hear alot about that when you guys go on your spending rants.[/QUOTE]

I thought that was all Bush's doing(the protection of the oil companies) What is Obama doing about it? What did the democrat controlled Congress do when Obama was there?

Face it, your guys is every bit in bed with these interests as you claim Bush was.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4155327]gas station owners are getting a penny per gallon profit sometimes... the oil companies enjoy gov't subsidies that the GOP seem to be reluctant to cut. don't hear alot about that when you guys go on your spending rants.[/QUOTE]

I call BS. Why else would Schumer be calling for hearings on price gouging?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Remember when they used to show the taxes included in every gallon price.

Wonder why they don't anymore.:rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Any time I talk of spending cuts I include defense and subsidies. Nice talking point though.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Piper;4155333]I thought that was all Bush's doing(the protection of the oil companies) What is Obama doing about it? [/QUOTE]

im glad you asked. Obama's new deficit plan includes removing 41 Billion dollars in oil company subsidies. but the right wing is against the idea because it's from OUR President.

[url]http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2011-09-21/news/bs-ed-obama-big-oil-letter-20110921_1_big-oil-rig-explosion-federal-workers-groups[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a pretty decent breakdown of how gas prices are calculated and as the article says stations make less than $0.10 a gallon. The other varriables are Taxes, state and fed, distribution, marketing, crude prices and refining.

I would have to assume that the most volitile of all of those variables is Crude prices which is why the graph I posted earlier shows gas following crude prices pretty reliably other than in a couple places where crude goes down but gas doesn't, such as today. So the question remains, what is keeping gas high even though oil has dropped about 25% in the past 6 months and gas has barely budged.

All those with an agenda please keep to the question rather than belaboring with OT talking points about subsuidies.

[URL]http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/fuel-consumption/gas-price1.htm[/URL]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4155361] So the question remains, what is keeping gas high even though oil has dropped about 25% in the past 6 months and gas has barely budged.

All those with an agenda please keep to the question rather than belaboring with OT talking points about subsuidies.

[URL]http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/fuel-consumption/gas-price1.htm[/URL][/QUOTE]

this isn't OT you ask what is keeping the price high, im telling you. it's companies like XOM and their record profits every quarter. and we subsidize those companies with our tax dollars. seems pretty on topic to me.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4155360]OUR President.

[/QUOTE]
    It always makes me laugh when you post things of that nature, especially the way you used to talk about Bush. I distinctly remember discussing the disrespect you showed the office at that time with you.

I guess you took something from that discussion and we can count on your continued respect of the president when BO is swept from office.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4155371]this isn't OT you ask what is keeping the price high, im telling you. it's companies like XOM and their record profits every quarter. and we subsidize those companies with our tax dollars. seems pretty on topic to me.[/QUOTE]

So your point is that oil companies are artificially keeping gas prices high because they are getting subsidies?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4155382]So your point is that oil companies are artificially keeping gas prices high because they are getting subsidies?[/QUOTE]

they are keeping gas prices high to make huge profits. and they are getting US Gov't subsidies on the side. I dont know that there's a direct causality but it's a factor in the discussion. it's not OT.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4155374]It always makes me laugh when you post things of that nature, especially the way you used to talk about Bush. I distinctly remember discussing the disrespect you showed the office at that time with you.

I guess you took something from that discussion and we can count on your continued respect of the president when BO is swept from office.[/QUOTE]

people live and learn. I was younger and angry at Bush cause I could see the mistakes he was making, especially with the 2 wars of choice.

but in hindsight, no that was not a proper way to address the President. I don't think 23 year old Bitonti is the same as 33 year old bitonti

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4155400]people live and learn. I was younger and angry at Bush cause I could see the mistakes he was making, especially with the 2 wars of choice.

but in hindsight, no that was not a proper way to address the President. I don't think 23 year old Bitonti is the same as 33 year old bitonti[/QUOTE]

Can't wait to see how you regard the next Republican president.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4155400]people live and learn. I was younger and angry at Bush cause I could see the mistakes he was making, especially with the 2 wars of choice.

but in hindsight, no that was not a proper way to address the President. I don't think 23 year old Bitonti is the same as 33 year old bitonti[/QUOTE]
    good for you...now if we could get you to take off the libglasses :cool: