Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Speaking of Pink Floyd...

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4156648]Indeed, I have no doubt that there are more than 3 at Julliard with more technical talent than Gilmour, who himself admits his lack of techical proficientcy. In fact, his inabillity to "play fast" was a direct cause to the development of his signature

Art requires soul. Tha billity to use your art to touch another human being's core.

That, and Professor types almost universally revile "today" in their worship of "300 years ago". It's hard to hold that against them, it's almost part of who they are and how they are trained, to worhsip at the alter of the ancient, and demean the brilliance (especially popular brilliance) of now.
    After all, if a few million people like it, it can't be good enough for an elite professor, can it?;)[/QUOTE]

I LOVE absolutely LOVE riding you guys. took me quite a while to recognize the art vs the technical part of music. Music is in the heart NOT on paper I am not a Floyd fan per SE... But 10 million people can't be wrong. I have been breaking balls on this thread. I am actually breaking out the ANIMALS CD on my iPod right now. I actually DIG and play a LOT on my guitar Dan Fogelberg.

Veteran
    Best Floyd moments were from 94. They practiced their Division Bell tour at Morton air force base which had recently realigned to a gaurd and reserve base and had minimum manning. I was stationed at march afb in Moreno Valley and got in solely by showing my military id. We got to watch them make mistakes and get Pissed and everything. On the last night they did a mini show for us and friends that went to the rose bowl and watched all said that our private show in the hanger at Morton was better. Plus, Gilmore interacted with the small crowd of tie dyed t shirt wearing airman quite well.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4156648]In fact, his inabillity to "play fast" was a direct cause to the development of his signature operatic style.[/QUOTE]

+1,000

Playing slower opens a lot of stuff up. :yes:

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4156646]Reading music doesn't make you a musician.

It makes you gay.[/QUOTE]

Not to "paulie" the thread here, but reading music is pretty damn rewarding.

And not a speck of homo. :D

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4156697]I LOVE absolutely LOVE riding you guys. .[/QUOTE]

:eek:

Mebbe I spoke too quickly.

Great thread! (no sarcasm here) :)

The Wall.....'nuff said. :cool:

[QUOTE=cr726;4156607]And all three would kill for Gilmour's fame and money. Gilmour is envied by his peers and adored by his fans because of his talent. His guitar speaks when played and I agree with you about Animals, although I would defend all of their albums. :D[/QUOTE]

Gilmour is a master and his guitar palying moves me like no other. Yes there are better "players and technicians" but NO ONE can produce the melodic masterpieces that he does!!!

Define "rarities". My money is on pre-good floyd. Unfortunately, there are probably no gems hidden away from the animals session that never saw the light of day.

Unfortunately, we all know, "rarity" is some spaced-out, god awful, drug induced, Syd Barrett sh!t fest.

[QUOTE=OrangeJet;4156823]Define "rarities". My money is on pre-good floyd. Unfortunately, there are probably no gems hidden away from the animals session that never saw the light of day.

Unfortunately, we all know, "rarity" is some spaced-out, god awful, drug induced, Syd Barrett sh!t fest.[/QUOTE]

Well, there are plenty of fans who think Barrett was the best of Floyd, and the "good stuff" as you say was indulgent crap.

Not me of course.:D I get what you're saying.

Seems it's mostly Live material. The Dark Side comes with a 74' show. Wish comes with some live stuff (incld. Animals tunes under their original live titles, before that disk was recorded) and some alt-takes/demos. The Wall appears to be almost all demos and alt-takes.

Purchase accordingly.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;4156735]Not to "paulie" the thread here, but reading [B]music is pretty damn rewarding.[/B]

And not a speck of homo. :D[/QUOTE]

Agreed. NOT being able to read limits what you can do and play.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;4156736]:eek:

Mebbe I spoke too quickly.[/QUOTE]

Your honor..... WCO has taken me out of context.

[QUOTE=Vin;4156770]Great thread! (no sarcasm here) :)

The Wall.....'nuff said. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Funny...but The Wall is one of the things that makes me NOT put Pink Floyd in the category of GREAT. IMO, Simple, orchestrated music to the masses etc.... I know I am in the minority but.....
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 09-25-2011 at 08:09 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4156889]Agreed. NOT being able to read limits what you can do and play.[/QUOTE]

Please post a youtube vid of you playing. I'd like to see how reading music helps you.

Don't be shy.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4156917]Please post a youtube vid of you playing. I'd like to see how reading music helps you.

Don't be shy.[/QUOTE]

Go back to bed......

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4156890]IMO, Simple, orchestrated music to the masses etc.... [/QUOTE]
    What? Who, Pink Floyd?

[I]"They are re-releasing some special issue versions (sets) of their biggest albums, along with a whole pile of rarities and prevfiously unreleased live recordings."[/I]

Still, got to love their music. Nice and paranoid.

The Beatles are gayer than a bus load of Giant fans giving each other back rubs.
    Last edited by sackdance; 09-25-2011 at 09:15 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=sackdance;4156932]What? Who, Pink Floyd?

[I]"They are re-releasing some special issue versions (sets) of their biggest albums, along with a whole pile of rarities and prevfiously unreleased live recordings."[/I]

Still, got to love their music. Nice and paranoid.

The Beatles are gayer than a bus load of Giant fans giving each other back rubs.[/QUOTE]

Read my post above.....I love breaking the balls of PF fans. I heard they were going to advertise one of their albums as "Great on 3 hits of acid!"

As I write this I am listening to Moments Notice, John Coltrane, Kenny Drew, Phil Chambers, Philly Joe Jones. Thats MUSIC!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4156930]Go back to bed......[/QUOTE]

Seriously. I would like to see how reading music improves your playing ability and results in satisfaction and rewards.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4156944]Seriously. I would like to see how reading music improves your playing ability and results in satisfaction and rewards.[/QUOTE]That's too easy; I can size up a score of a song and understand the melody AS COMPOSED. For example, "King Nothing" by Commercial-tallica easy to play almost immediately for me. "Solar" by Miles Davis has a melody that includes many rests (or "space") that I could only master with the "chart" right in front of me. Without the chart I am guessing at crucial moments in the tune.

If you are referring to "sight-reading" skills as used by Broadway or orchestra-pit professionals, then YOU ARE RIGHT; not many popular musicians (mostly drummers and guitarists) need to read or [B]spend creative time on it. [/B]

But my creativity is greatly improved by reading; this is a stone cold fact.
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 09-25-2011 at 10:23 AM.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4156934]As I write this I am listening to Moments Notice, John Coltrane, Kenny Drew, Phil Chambers, Philly Joe Jones. Thats MUSIC![/QUOTE]

Music? I thought that was the bench for your fantasy football team.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;4156978]That's too easy; I can size up a score of a song and understand the melody AS COMPOSED. For example, "King Nothing" by Commercial-tallica easy to play almost immediately for me. "Solar" by Miles Davis has a melody that includes many rests (or "space") that I could only master with the "chart" right in front of me. Without the chart I am guessing at crucial moments in the tune.

If you are referring to "sight-reading" skills as used by Broadway or orchestra-pit professionals, then YOU ARE RIGHT; not many popular musicians (mostly drummers and guitarists) need to read or [B]spend creative time on it. [/B]

But my creativity is greatly improved by reading; this is a stone cold fact.[/QUOTE]

I have met and played with many different musicians using charts that I found mydelf playing a song, people dancing etc...and THEN the melody became familiar.

There are a multitude of things that musicians with reading skills can do that others can't. I enjoyed playing in orchestra and big band that ONLY reading music would allow.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4157032]I have met and played with many different musicians using charts that I found mydelf playing a song, people dancing etc...and THEN the melody became familiar.

There are a multitude of things that musicians with reading skills can do that others can't. I enjoyed playing in orchestra and big band that ONLY reading music would allow.[/QUOTE]

And ONLY grandparents would be impressed by it. :yes: