Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Coldplay LP Starting To Take Shape

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

New Coldplay LP Starting To Take Shape

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1O9X0_WNTY&feature=relmfu[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6ZWlDks0nQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kf_6BWcOOg&feature=relmfu[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-KsutWy3UU&feature=relmfu[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBHuTCrjm_o&feature=related[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92s2AQIbSJI[/url]

3 of the tracks from the new LP Mylo Xyloto have been released to date along with 2 live versions and a B-Side, the sound is a lot more acoustic and a lot closer to Parachutes and Rush Of Blood than their later efforts.

Really looking forward to October 24 release date.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    And you mock Rush? That's freaking terrible.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still waiting for a new Styx album.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OrangeJet;4156827]And you mock Rush? That's freaking terrible.[/QUOTE]

Rush was a niche, wannabe art-rock band from the 80's.

Coldplay is the most popular band in the world, taking the torch from U2 before it.

Can't really compare the two. Both bands have some pretty silly lyrics and follow their own formulas, but at least Coldplay songs are listenable.

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 09-25-2011 at 02:07 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pauliec;4156832]I'm still waiting for a new Styx album.[/QUOTE]

Go find "Crystal Ball". It's their most overlooked LP, came out before the popular ones. It's the "September of My Years" of the Styx catalog, if you will.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The shape this album most closely resembles so far is that of a liquid turd.

Coldplay sucks. Forever.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I keep trying Coldplay, hoping to like them. Mellow British Rock is usualy my thing. It just never happens.

Guess I'm stuck with Radiohead. Who I hope will be touring sooner rather than later.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Styx, Rush, and to a lesser degree Boston. Can't make me change the station fast enough. Would rather listen to a needle scratch a record.

Coldplay is fine though.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4156882]I keep trying Coldplay, hoping to like them. Mellow British Rock is usualy my thing. It just never happens.

Guess I'm stuck with Radiohead. Who I hope will be touring sooner rather than later.[/QUOTE]

Huge Radiohead fan too.

Radiohead made The Bends and OK Computer and as the world was ready to annoint them 'Most Popular Band Ever' they made a sharp left turn and started making esoteric art rock.

Coldplay filled the void left by Radiohead with Parachutes and Rush Of Blood, never made a sharp turn, keeps giving the Britpop audience what it wants.

Coldplay is what Radiohead would have been if they decided to stay mainstream. Many crucify Coldplay and laud Radiohead for their decision. Me, I'm happy to have both.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4156833]

[B]Coldplay is the most popular band in the world[/B], taking the torch from U2 before it.

[/QUOTE]

ROFL

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Fishooked;4156947]ROFL[/QUOTE]

Over-reliance on their piano. Not that there is anything wrong with building a band around self-pity and male sensitivity. :D

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not my favorite band, but--overall--I appreciate Coldplay. Chris Martin is a great frontman/singer and musician. Their first three records are of excellent quality, IMO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    anyone interested in getting some cross-thread pollination here?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4156833]Coldplay is the most popular band in the world, taking the torch from U2 before it.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Actually Oasis took the torch from U2, but imploded. It's easy to think Coldsore took the baton because of their geographical location, but that would be a false assumption because they suck. At least Oasis gave us the best drunk song to sing along to in Wonderwall. Coldplay gave us Viva la Vida.. C'mon Sar, seriously? Their songs just kinda plod along painfully and then thankfully and mercifully end. When Gweneth Paltrow singing on Glee is getting more acclaim than her husband you know you haven't become the new U2.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4157048]Not my favorite band, but--overall--I appreciate Coldplay. Chris Martin is a great frontman/singer and musician. Their first three records are of excellent quality, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes you just don't want "art". Sometimes you just want a fun record, something that's listenable, something that you can play at a party, and something you can sing to.

Coldplay fits that bill. I loved it when U2 dropped its "we are a serious band" persona and went from Joshua Tree to Achtung Baby and Pop. Some didn't. I get that.

Oasis is my retro-Britpop band, Radiohead is my art-Britpop band, Coldplay is my pop-Britpop band. It's all good if you let it be.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TokyoJetsFan;4157093]Actually Oasis took the torch from U2, but imploded. It's easy to think Coldsore took the baton because of their geographical location, but that would be a false assumption because they suck. At least Oasis gave us the best drunk song to sing along to in Wonderwall. Coldplay gave us Viva la Vida.. C'mon Sar, seriously? Their songs just kinda plod along painfully and then thankfully and mercifully end. When Gweneth Paltrow singing on Glee is getting more acclaim than her husband you know you haven't become the new U2.[/QUOTE]

Huge Oasis fan here, cut my honeymoon short in '96 to see them at Jones Beach a week after they'd played for 500,000 fans at Knebworth.

Oasis was badly mis-marketed in the US in '95 and '96 and never took off. Radiohead's explosion took place in 1997 with OK Computer. That was Brtipop's "moment" and they took the US by storm. But like too many other bands that care too much about being mocked by the faux intelligentsia at dinner parties, they got all artsy and blew it.

Viva La Vida is my least favorite Coldplay album. Check out The Bends and OK Computer. Brilliant stuff, Radiohead 2.0 at a time when Radiohead abandoned it's core audience for esoteric art music that was only good for lulling one's baby to sleep.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4157099]Huge Oasis fan here, cut my honeymoon short in '96 to see them at Jones Beach a week after they'd played for 500,000 fans at Knebworth.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

That must have been an amazing show.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4156833]Rush was a niche, wannabe art-rock band from the 80's.

Coldplay is the most popular band in the world, [B]taking the torch from U2 before it.[/B]Can't really compare the two. Both bands have some pretty silly lyrics and follow their own formulas, but at least Coldplay songs are listenable.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

LOL, great schtick SAR, now I see your ingenious plan to destroy the Hampur--start a Coldplay thread.

U2 just finished the highest grossing tour in history, Colplay plays warms up for Jayjay at 10,000 seat arenas in South Africa.

Was there with 90,000 at Metlife this summer, Coldplay will never do that.

Great schtick tho. :rolleyes:

_

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oasis > Coldplay

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4157095]Sometimes you just don't want "art". Sometimes you just want a fun record, something that's listenable, something that you can play at a party, and something you can sing to.

Coldplay fits that bill. I loved it when U2 dropped its "we are a serious band" persona and went from Joshua Tree to Achtung Baby and Pop. Some didn't. I get that.

Oasis is my retro-Britpop band, Radiohead is my art-Britpop band, Coldplay is my pop-Britpop band. It's all good if you let it be.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

You know, like Coldplay or not, agree with SAR's tastes or not, you DO have to respect this post.

Good post SAR (**** that hurts to say).