Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Coldplay LP Starting To Take Shape

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TokyoJetsFan;4157102]That must have been an amazing show.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neZTxc81Kus[/url]

It was. Oasis played for 250,000 people per night in the UK, played for 15,000 on Long Island a few weeks later. I was in the 3rd row, tons of fans flew from England for it too. Was a great set list with lots of the b-sides I loved ('Listen Up' being a highlight). A band I'd never heard of, Manic Street Preachers, opened. Wound up loving them too.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4157103]LOL, great schtick SAR, now I see your ingenious plan to destroy the Hampur--start a Coldplay thread.

U2 just finished the highest grossing tour in history, Colplay plays warms up for Jayjay at 10,000 seat arenas in South Africa.

Was there with 90,000 at Metlife this summer, Coldplay will never do that.

Great schtick tho.

[/QUOTE]

U2's my favorite all-time band so you won't hear me besmirch their popularity.

That said, Viva La Vida sold 1.2M copies in the first two weeks of its release, No Line On The Horizon didn't break 650K. Not talking concert-goers in the post-concert-era; talking album sales which is a far greater benchmark of current popularity.

Having a live concert following is a different story. U2's older fanbase harkens back to the 1980's when going to concerts was a very important event. Coldplay's 2000's following happened after the concert scene died, their younger fans not quite understanding why they should bother- just like almost every other post-concert-era act.

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4157132]You know, like Coldplay or not, agree with SAR's tastes or not, you DO have to respect this post.

Good post SAR (**** that hurts to say).[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Warfish. Not sure why there is such polarization on Coldplay. They have their place in the overall music market, they contribute.

I hate Rush for what they stand for, but if Tom Sawyer comes on the radio I can take enjoyment in the power riff and the synth work, tap my toes, play a little air-steering wheel. You can hate Coldplay and every commercial pop thing they represent, but you can hear a song like Sparks or Trouble or Speed Of Sound and enjoy it.

Those whose close-mindedness forces them to dismiss a new song outright simply because of the performer are depriving themselves of some musical enjoyment. Not sure why they hate on others who don't put up those kinds of gates. It's music. It's entertainment. It's not real life. Bono saves the environment. Chris Martin hangs in Hollywood. None of that matters. The "rock music as art" myth is amusing and irrelevant.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a big Coldplay fan, always have been. Viva is their most popular album to date, but the best tracks on it barely got any play.

This forthcoming album is shaping up to be a very toe-in-the-water enterprise. It'll be curious to see if it shapes the path the band takes going forward. Personally, I'm thinking this may wind up being a pop-fueled version of X&Y, not a favorite of mine.

Most people that bash Coldplay seem to be unfamiliar on the whole with their work. They have some solid stuff, and it isn't nearly as staid and saddo as it is made out to be. Buckland has some soaring guitars on many of their songs, it's just that the piano of Martin takes center stage more often than not on their melodies.

If any of you are looking to get into some Brit-pop/Alt music with solid music and lyrics, check out Doves or Elbow. Coldplay has morphed from that into a true mainstream Brit-pop band, ala U2.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4156882]I keep trying Coldplay, hoping to like them. Mellow British Rock is usualy my thing. It just never happens.

Guess I'm stuck with Radiohead. Who I hope will be touring sooner rather than later.[/QUOTE]

Played SNL last nite and are in town for 2 sows Weds and Turs

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4157710]Played SNL last nite and are in town for 2 sows Weds and Turs[/QUOTE]

New York? Are, I heard something on that. Not a tour though, just a few shows.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4159673]New York? Are, I heard something on that. Not a tour though, just a few shows.[/QUOTE]

Two shows at Roseland this week. Went on sale at 10, sold out by 10:01 this AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNDvrYstFtE[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4160820]Two shows at Roseland this week. Went on sale at 10, sold out by 10:01 this AM.[/QUOTE]

yup. i tried so hard to be online at 10 AM. I skipped my first class and all.

I had a 15 minute wait time when I put the info in and from there I knew I was screwed. There will be more dates though..

[url]http://www.antimusic.com/news/11/sep/ts23Radiohead_Tour_Coming.shtml[/url]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OrangeJet;4156827]And you mock Rush? That's freaking terrible.[/QUOTE]

+1