Thread: A Rare Event: Music I Don't Know How To Feel About

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

A Rare Event: Music I Don't Know How To Feel About

The band is named "SuperHeavy".

A supergroup. Although how "super" may be up to each individuals tastes of the individual members.

Listened to the first few tracks on iTunes. And really not sure what to think, a rare event.

[url]http://www.superheavy.com/[/url]

Mick Jagger (The Rolling Stones)
    Joss Stone
    Dave Stewart (Eurythmics)
    Damian Marley (Youngets Son of Bob Marley, and a name on his own)
    and A. R. Rahman (Composer of Slumdog Millionare SOundtrack, an awesome disc).
    Last edited by Warfish; 09-25-2011 at 07:45 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4159533]The band is named "SuperHeavy".

A supergroup. Although how "super" may be up to each individuals tastes of the individual members.

Listened to the first few tracks on iTunes. And really not sure what to think, a rare event.

[url]http://www.superheavy.com/[/url]

Mick Jagger (The Rolling Stones)
    Joss Stone
    Dave Stewart (Eurythmics)
    Damian Marley (Youngets Son of Bob Marley, and a name on his own)
    and A. R. Rahman (Composer of Slumdog Millionare SOundtrack, an awesome disc).[/QUOTE]

I've read some good things about these guys but have yet to actually hear the material.

Allmusic.com was not impressed:

[url]http://www.allmusic.com/album/superheavy-r2273040/review[/url]

2.5/5 stars

[I]All supergroups contain a member or two whose stardom outshines the rest and so it is with SuperHeavy, a motley amalgamation fronted by Mick Jagger, Joss Stone, and Damian Marley and also featuring Eurythmic Dave Stewart and Indian film composer A.R. Rahman. Unquestionably Jagger’s star shines brightest but he’s not the center of this universe, nor is Stone, the only member who has been a constant presence in international pop charts over the past decade. No, the creative director here is Dave Stewart, who was suddenly seized by the possibilities of a pancultural purported pop, enthused to his friend Jagger and brought him on board, then filled out the group with totems of different cultures: Marley representing Jamaica, Rahman Bollywood, Stone the new breed. Mad scientist that he is, Stewart takes pains to balance each voice because “Common Ground” is kind of the point of this venture -- sounds from every corner of the world converge to create music intended to speak to every corner of the world. Such global thinking extends to the lyrics, where SuperHeavy endeavor to make sense of the world’s mess, to figure out “what the f*** is going on,” as Joss sings on “I Can’t Take It No More.” By the time this tune pops up on SuperHeavy, many listeners may be asking themselves the same question due to SuperHeavy’s insistence on being everything to everyone. SuperHeavy certainly don’t lack for ambition but there’s a self-congratulatory insularity here that’s off-putting; they’re making music for themselves yet are convinced of its edifying properties. Perhaps if the album actually had some kineticism to its eclecticism, or at least a hook or a tune, it would earn its wannabe evangelism, but the untrammeled indulgence turns this into a gaudy multicolored circus.[/I]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a big Stones fan. Have every album and have seen them on tour many times.

I am not too impressed with SuperHeavy. Not completely terrible but not something I'll buy. With that said, I really don't think they were looking for commercial success here. I think it was just a project they did for the hell of it.

I have seen countless pictures of SuperHeavy so far and I can't help but to compare them to the Stones. In photos of the Stones they always seem to look so cool. In pictures of SuperHeavy, you can tell that they are all trying very hard to look cool and besides Mick and Joss, the attempt fails miserably.

So is it just me or when you see pictures of SuperHeavy, who do you think looks like they belong in the photo more...

[B][SIZE="5"]A) Mick[/SIZE][/B]

[IMG]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e329/crossfire1/misc/article-2040509-0D6859B000000578-661_468x532.jpg[/IMG]

[B][SIZE="5"]B) Urkel[/SIZE][/B]

[IMG]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e329/crossfire1/misc/SuperUrkel.jpg[/IMG]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ever since 2004's collaboration with Kara DioGuardi on the concept album/lame personas, Platinum Weird, Dave Stewart is dead to me. Therefore, and even though I like (and would gladly bone/munch) Joss Stone, his participation in this project renders it moot for me.

There has never been a bigger H-Bomb in design and execution that the Platinum Weird debacle. Someone must have called in a favor to garner Stewart's participation. Either that, or he lost his mind/creative muse completely.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just read about this in Rolling Stone. Will have to take a gander at their tunes.