Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Maybin watch.

[QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4161839]Tell that to Cameron Wake, and Warren Moon, and Doug Flutie, and countless others that never did get a shot. Being ignorant is not something to be proud of. I don't know why so many people here think it is.[/QUOTE]

???
    Maybin has had a shot, 2 shots really. How do these guys compare at all?

[QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4161839]Tell that to Cameron Wake, and Warren Moon, and Doug Flutie, and countless others that never did get a shot. Being ignorant is not something to be proud of. I don't know why so many people here think it is.[/QUOTE]

Add Kurt Warner to that list.

Your Maybin suggestion may be a good one in that team speed is our big weakness on defense.

All League
    Has there even been the slightest hint that the Jets would like him back at some point besides JISuperfan speculation?

No? Ok.

Another Maybin thread?

I wanted him to make the team, but that ship has sailed. Let it go.

[QUOTE=JB1089;4161961]Another Maybin thread?

I wanted him to make the team, but that ship has sailed. Let it go.[/QUOTE]

You are right, 31 other teams passed on the guy.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Heynowguy;4161965]You are right, 31 other teams passed on the guy.[/QUOTE]

Why does what 31 other teams does dictate what this team do?
    Last edited by IRONFAN 40; 09-26-2011 at 08:41 PM.

All League

[QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4161849]They all originally were not thought worthy of playing by any team. So every team was wrong about them. Does that not make sense?[/QUOTE]

+1 Look at James Harrison.....the man was cut atleast 3-4 times over the span of a few years by both Pitt and Baltimore until he finally broke through.

Other examples of players who did not succeed at initially but eventually did after numerous chances/seasons - Steve Young, Drew Brees, Cedric Benson, Danny Woodhead, Jim Leonhard, Thomas Jones, Roddy White, James Farrior, Sidney Rice.

Ofcourse it doesnt happen all the time, but its definatley not out of the ordinary to see a player finally catch on and make an impact after given numerous chances. Is Maybin going to turn around his career? Who the hell knows.....all I know is that he does have talent and physical ability and I wouldnt mind the Jets bringing him back in if they feel he can contribute on passing downs.

Nope

we have the 2nd coming of Lt,Derrick Thomas,Ware all rolled into one

Jamal (The greatest passrusher football has ever seen) Westerman

He's so good you don't even notice he's on the field

Hall Of Fame
    one word.
    four letters.
    bust . . .

. . and, no -
    not the kind you GUYS like :P

[QUOTE=IRONFAN 40;4161989]Why does what 31 other teams does dictate what this team do?[/QUOTE]

exactly ... 31 teams didn't want to draft Danny Woodhead. Every NFL team skipped on Tom Brady 6 times. Who cares what every other team gives a sh*t about? We had Maybin in camp ... They said he did everything right. Other players said they were surprised he's not on the roster. Not to mention while he was in there he produced. His speed was obvious while he played. If Gholston never played on this team 99% of people on here would want us to take a shot. Yet Gholston has made everyone scared that another Gholston is going to walk through that door. The Maybin skeptics are only critical of him based off gholston. Nothing he did while he was a Jet in his very short time would suggest that he shouldn't have made the roster. Do we need speed at OLB? YES ... Does he have the speed? YES ... Did get get to the QB while he was here? YES ... I don't want to hear any stats or pre season stats that happened in the past ... while he was here he produced ... period. 23 years old ... yet people act like he was 30 and given 5 chances. This was his 2nd chance at 23 years old ... how freaking far fetched is it that this wouldn't have panned out?

I hope the Jets go after him again ... We could use him better than some of the other LB's we kept. Not to mention those LB's mainly got picked cause of special teams ... say what you want but thats a fact.

Veteran
    I'd rather bring Ron Faurot back. Some people think Maybin was all world, he will not upgrade our D he's a bust.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

We brought him in for a look. If he any shot don't you think Rex would've put him on the taxi squad?

All League
    [QUOTE=LadainianIMnotDONE;4162245]Not to mention those LB's mainly got picked cause of special teams ... say what you want but thats a fact.[/QUOTE]You say this like it's a bad thing. Westhoff needs players as well. You don't have the best ST coach in history and refuse to give him guys to work with.

[QUOTE=JumbalayaJet;4162248]We brought him in for a look. If he any shot don't you think Rex would've put him on the taxi squad?[/QUOTE]

He wasn't eligible. He's played in too many games.

I want him back....he looked like a great speed rusher against backups in the preseason, if nothing else.......We certainly don't have anything like him on the roster right now

He originally made the final roster but then got cut a few days later, so the Jets atleast saw a little bit out of him that they liked

I still think a 23 year old speed rusher with his talent is worth a shot to plug in on obvious passing downs this season and maybe get him to hit the weights hard next off-season......

Don't really get why we gave up on him when he showed a lot more than some of the backups that are on the team......

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I'll say it again, why we kept McIntyre over Maybin is beyond me.

McIntyre brings nothing to the table that guys like Mauga and Bellore can't do just as well if not better.

At least Maybin has the raw speed and explosive first step that this team has lacked since Abraham. He was on the field for 4 snaps against the Giants and had a sack and a FF in addition to another hurry. He had 1.5 (should've been 2.5) sacks against the Eagles in the final pre-season game.

The kid was given limited snaps in two games and showed more than any LB on the team not named David Harris.

A lack of speed and explosiveness in the front seven is whats hurting this defense. We can't pressure the QB unless we bring 6-7 guys and we just don't have athletic enough OLB's to run sideline to sideline and cover receiving TE's.

Some of you people are not very good at logic. Just because some players became great after being cut does *not* mean you should never give up on anyone. Hey, Kellen Clemens has been cut a few times, but he didn't get passed over as many times as Tom Brady! Maybe he'll turn it around! Ryan Leaf has incredible talent, maybe the light switch will go on...

Besides, we *did* bring him in, we *did* give him a shot, and we decided he wasn't good enough. What, does he need a do-over?

If you want to argue that we didn't give him a fair enough shot when he was here - fine, that's at least logical (though I disagree). But don't act like his suckitude is some badge of honor that indicates he'll be just like James Harrison...

[I]Edit:[/I] FYI, I really want to believe that Maybin would add something to this defense, and that the Jets like him and think he would add something. But it seems pretty clear to me that they don't think that. So oh well. Can we go back to talking about Gholston?
    Last edited by thshadow; 09-27-2011 at 01:34 AM.

All Pro
    He was the last cut on the roster. He's not eligible for the practice squad, and now there is an open spot. So the op speculated that with the large amount of big slow guys on the team already maybe we would bring back a big fast guy, that never did get a shot with us. He was good enough to get noticed without knowing any of the playbook. Why people are so dead set against it is beyond me. With his athleticism he's worth the nothing that he would cost.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=King Koopa;4162266]I want him back....he looked like a great speed rusher against backups in the preseason, if nothing else.......We certainly don't have anything like him on the roster right now

He originally made the final roster but then got cut a few days later, so the Jets atleast saw a little bit out of him that they liked

I still think a 23 year old speed rusher with his talent is worth a shot to plug in on obvious passing downs this season and maybe get him to hit the weights hard next off-season......

Don't really get why we gave up on him when he showed a lot more than some of the backups that are on the team......[/QUOTE]

It's puzzling no doubt. I just don't buy he isn't here because of ST. Do we need him on ST that bad where he can contribute on defense more. Last night Dal/Skins game is a perfect example what a decent pass rush can do and finish games.