Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teh gout

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Teh gout

How does an under 40 guy like me avoid it?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RageATL;4162038]How does an under 40 guy like me avoid it?[/QUOTE]

No drankin, no meat.

Glad you asked?

Have fun with the gout!

:D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=32green;4162043]No drankin, no meat.

Glad you asked?

Have fun with the gout!

:D[/QUOTE]

NFL stands for No Fun Life.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=wiki]Gout (also known as podagra when it involves the big toe)[1] is a medical condition usually characterized by recurrent attacks of acute inflammatory arthritis—a red, tender, hot, swollen joint.[/QUOTE]

I may have friends out here that like this type of thing. :eek:;):D

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    pluerosy, the gout, three nuts...what's next?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

When you have a gout flare-up go see a doctor who will give you a 30-50 colchicine pill prescription. It will likely only take about 5 doses to cure it (drink lots of water), so hold onto the rest for future flare-ups never letting yourself run out of the medicine.

Not that I drink alcohol or eat red meat, of course! ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4162307]pluerosy, the gout, three nuts...what's next?[/QUOTE]

Leprosy?

:dunno:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;4162322]Leprosy?

:dunno:[/QUOTE]
    32 missed this opening lol

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you repeatedly have gout you have to go on daily medication, I will be doing this next month.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4162344]32 missed this opening lol[/QUOTE]

Maybe because of his bad back?

:dunno:

:alien:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't have it but as I creep closer to 40, I have a feeling all of these wonderful ailments will start rear their ugly head. Just trying to take some possible preventative measures to avoid it at all costs.

Guess I need to start thinking about the dreaded "exam" as well. :eek:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Take at least 3 ibuprofen pills. that'll relieve the pain and some of the swelling. perhaps you need to lose some weight?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RageATL;4162460]Don't have it but as I creep closer to 40, I have a feeling all of these wonderful ailments will start rear their ugly head. Just trying to take some possible preventative measures to avoid it at all costs.

[B]Guess I need to start thinking about the dreaded "exam" as well.[/B] :eek:[/QUOTE]

Without question, make sure all the sex toys you use with your partner(s) are properly, and frequently, inspected for defects (battery seepage, breakdown in tensile strength, etc) and sanitized immediately after each usage.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Apache 51;4162352]If you repeatedly have gout you have to go on daily medication, I will be doing this next month.[/QUOTE]

Yep...Colchicine for a couple of days to alleviate the current attack and Allopurinol daily. It works really well. I haven't had an attack in 2 years since I started the Allopurinol...and btw, no side effects.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nyahay bus;4162468]Take at least 3 ibuprofen pills. that'll relieve the pain and some of the swelling. perhaps you need to lose some weight?[/QUOTE]

Like I said, I don't have it yet, just planning ahead cuz it seems more prevalent as you reach a certain age bracket.

Nope, weight is definitely not a concern. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea several years back and took it upon myself to lose a bunch of weight. Not like I was huge, just was carrying some extra weight on my smallish frame. I got back into shape and was hitting the gym quite regularly, putting on a good bit of muscle. I then hit a rough patch in my personal life and lost the "good" weight I had put on at the gym. Cool story, huh? ;)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RageATL;4162512]Like I said, I don't have it yet, just planning ahead cuz it seems more prevalent as you reach a certain age bracket.

Nope, weight is definitely not a concern. [B]I was diagnosed with sleep apnea [/B]several years back and took it upon myself to lose a bunch of weight. Not like I was huge, just was carrying some extra weight on my smallish frame. I got back into shape and was hitting the gym quite regularly, putting on a good bit of muscle. I then hit a rough patch in my personal life and lost the "good" weight I had put on at the gym. Cool story, huh? ;)[/QUOTE]

I have never been overweight, my current wieght is 165, guess I just have a fat neck, last year was diagnosed with apnea, which i knew I had just finally had the insurance to confirm it. I now sleep with one of those C-Pap machines. Still not a big fan of the mask part, but I do wake up feeling so refreshed.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Watch your diet. Research uric acid and the foods that can cause it ti elevate. I have a friend who got the gout last year. He tells me it was pretty painful. But when you have been eating and drinking red wine and meat since you are 10 what do you expect?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beer, red wine, red meat, seafood. Gout is a biatch. How i haven't had a flare up this summer is beyond me considering the amount of bbq and red wine i have consumed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4162307]pluerosy, the gout, three nuts...what's next?[/QUOTE]

Acute anal retentiveness. It's rampant in the hampurant (and the pfail strip).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=2milehighJet;4162560]I have never been overweight, my current wieght is 165, guess I just have a fat neck, last year was diagnosed with apnea, which i knew I had just finally had the insurance to confirm it. I now sleep with one of those C-Pap machines. Still not a big fan of the mask part, but I do wake up feeling so refreshed.[/QUOTE]

I did the CPAP mask for a while and was miserable with it. It felt like I had an octopus stuck to my face all night. However, I must admit I did feel refreshed when I was wearing it at night.

[QUOTE=Beerfish;4162597]Beer, red wine, red meat, seafood. Gout is a biatch. How i haven't had a flare up this summer is beyond me considering the amount of bbq and red wine i have consumed.[/QUOTE]

I stopped drinking "kind brews" cuz I gained a bunch of weight with all of the calories in them not to mention the acid reflux I developed because of the carbonation. I had fun while it lasted and drank tons of great beers but I just looked so slovenly overweight.

I drink the occasional glass or two of red wine, but pretty much stick to bourbon these days when I can with the occasional Guinness or schwag light beer mixed in if I wanna keep it cheap.

Other than that, I eat pretty clean, mostly proteins like chicken, seafood and beef when I grill out. I also drink a lot of water.
    Last edited by RageATL; 09-27-2011 at 12:02 PM.