Thread: Jacksonville Sharks Free Agency Thread

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ GAY

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    SHARKS TWEAK ROSTER, ADD VETERAN BENSON

04/11/2012 5:39 PM

JACKSONVILLE – The ArenaBowl XXIV Champion Jacksonville Sharks made some adjustments to the team’s roster Wednesday, as the team has been assigned defensive lineman Dayon Benson.

The 27-year-old Benson (6’2”, 290) began the 2011 AFL season with the Milwaukee Mustangs, recording 7.5 total tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss and a sack in six games with the team. Partway through the year, Benson joined the Pittsburgh Power and had an even greater impact with his second team.

In just six games with Pittsburgh, Benson notched 12.5 total tackles, four tackles for loss and three sacks, finishing fourth on the team in the latter two categories. In his time with the Power, Benson also broke up a pass and recovered a fumble.

Prior to making the jump to the AFL, Benson played in several other indoor football leagues, most recently playing for the American Indoor Football Association’s Reading Express in 2010. He also has past experience in the Indoor Football League and in af2, playing for the Wilkes-Barre Scranton Pioneers in 2007.

Before beginning his professional career, Benson played at Central State University, finishing his college career in 2005.

To make room for Benson on the roster, the Sharks placed offensive lineman Zarah Yisrael on recallable reassignment. The team also announced that wide receiver V’Keon Lacey has been activated from recallable reassignment and placed on injured reserve.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    THE BEAST IS BACK - JAMARKO SIMMONS RETURNS

04/10/2012 5:09 PM

JACKSONVILLE – Opponents of the ArenaBowl XXIV Champion Jacksonville Sharks will now have to contend with another powerful threat at the wide receiver position, as the team announced Tuesday that Jamarko Simmons has been activated from the Other League Exempt list and assigned to the Sharks’ roster.

Listed at 6’3”, 250 lb., the 25-year-old Simmons possesses a combination of size, speed and strength that is rarely seen at his position. He made effective use of that skillset in 2011, especially in the red zone, scoring 17 touchdowns in nine regular-season contests with Jacksonville. A force on special teams as well, Simmons pitched in with 9.5 total tackles and a forced fumble.

During the latter portion of the 2011 season, Simmons signed with the United Football League’s Virginia Destroyers, helping the team win the UFL championship in early July. Simmons then returned to the Sharks before the team’s regular-season finale.

Simmons stepped his game up to another level in the 2011 postseason, catching 11 passes for 108 yards and four touchdowns while rushing for another four scores. Those eight offensive touchdowns tied Simmons with Jeron Harvey for the postseason team lead.

“When Jamarko returned from the UFL, it sparked our whole team – offensively, defensively and on special teams,” head coach Les Moss said. “He’s a very unique player with a special skillset.”

Following the 2011 season, Simmons signed with the New York Jets and spent a large portion of the NFL regular season on the team’s practice squad. He was released by the team following the season and is now ready to take his game back to Sea Best Field.

“The things he brings to the table as a physical presence – receiving, running, and blocking – are a unique combination,” Moss said. “I’m sure that his experience with the Jets only improved that.”

A native of Flint, Michigan, Simmons spent his collegiate career at Western Michigan. Undrafted in 2009, he signed with the Green Bay Packers but was released by the team prior to the end of training camp.

To make room for Simmons on the roster, the Sharks placed wide receiver V’Keon Lacey on recallable reassignment. In addition, quarterback Chris Leak was placed on the left squad list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=SIROvVOxbpc

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    TONIGHT'S GAME - WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

04/13/2012 7:24 AM

The ArenaBowl XXIV Champion Jacksonville Sharks take the field at home on Friday night, hosting the West Division's Utah Blaze. The Sharks are 1-0 all-time against Utah, winning the teams' only meeting in 2010. Tonight's game is set to kick off at 8:00 p.m.

SharkFest

SharkFest is back! Check out our pregame block party just outside the front entrance of the Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena, where you can ride the giant inflatable Shark Slide and enjoy Sea Best Seafood. Many of our other corporate partners will be on hand, so be sure to stop by their displays as well. SharkFest is set to begin at 5:00 p.m. on Friday.

Gates Open

Tonight, gates will open at 6:40 p.m. for season ticket holders and 7:00 p.m. for the general public.

Hollywood Award Night

We're rolling out the red carpet for Hollywood Award Night! Enjoy the award show ambience as we spend the evening paying tribute to the silver screen. We'll hand out 2012 "Sharkie" awards all throughout the night, and if you come dressed as your favorite Hollywood star you might just take home an award of your own!

Ring Replica Pickup

Season ticket holders who qualified for desktop ring replicas will be able to pick up those items across from the Merch Stand behind Section 106. Note that you must physically present the redemption voucher that was included in your season ticket package in order to receive your desktop ring replica. Photocopies or any other forms of duplication will not be accepted. No cash value.

Please note that the Championship DVD Sets are not ready for tonight's game, so please keep those vouchers in a safe place. DVDs should be available for pickup beginning on the April 28 game against the Spokane Shock.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    SHARKS DEFEATED IN SEE-SAW TILT, 75-67

04/13/2012 10:27 PM

By Jack Morbitzer

JACKSONVILLE - The Jacksonville Sharks had the ball with a chance to tie the game in the final seconds but could not score, as the Utah Blaze outlasted the Sharks, 75-67, in a back-and-forth battle in front of 9,016 on Sea Best Field on Friday night.

"We can't score 67 points and give up 75," Sharks head coach Les Moss said. "If we score in the high 60s we should win. They're playing hard, we're just not executing the way we need to execute right now."

The Sharks (1-3) looked to tie the game after a 38-yard touchdown catch by Terrance Smith, but a missed extra point attempt left the team down by one, 68-67. After a failed onside kick and offensive penalty, Utah (3-2) quarterback Tommy Grady rolled to his right, finding Aaron Lesue against the boards for a 17-yard touchdown that put the Blaze ahead for good.

In the final seconds, Jacobs fired into the end zone on multiple occasions, but passes intended for Smith and Jeron Harvey fell incomplete as time expired.

"It's a tough loss, we fought hard to the end," Jacobs said. "We're getting there. We scored on every possession but the last one and the one before half. We just have to put a full game together. We have to get a few stops and just keep scoring. We're a team, there's no blame on anybody. We’re a team and we'll get better as a team."

Grady finished 29-38 for 325 yards with 10 passing touchdowns and a rushing touchdown, leading Utah to a score on every drive. Lesue led the Blaze with 11 catches for 95 yards and seven touchdowns. Jacobs finished 24-43 for 290 yards nine touchdowns for the Sharks while Jeron Harvey led in catches with 11 and had four touchdowns, while Smith led in yards with 154 and touchdowns with five.

Jacobs has now thrown 12 touchdown passes without an interception in his last two starts. Moss credited his quarterback's performace to improved play along the offensive line, which had to contend with a Blaze defensive front that led the league in sacks (16) entering Week 6.

"Omar is settling down and the offensive line did an excellent job tonight against the best pass rush in the league," Moss said.

The first half was a back-and-forth affair as the Blaze and Sharks scored on every drive of the half until the Sharks' final possession of the second quarter.

Utah opened the scoring with a 12-yard pass from Tommy Grady to Alvance Robinson and the Sharks responded with a 20-yard strike from Omar Jacobs to Jeron Harvey. From there, the teams continued trading scores including a QB sneak by Grady for a touchdown and a 1-yard touchdown run by Jamarko Simmons.

The teams traded onside kick attempts and scores until the Blaze ended the first half flurry with a Grady to Lesue connection with 14 seconds left.

The Sharks will take to the field next on Saturday, April 21 on the road against the Cleveland Gladiators. Cleveland will also enter next week's game coming off a loss, as the Gladiators fell to the Tampa Bay Storm on Friday night. Next Saturday's game is scheduled to kick off at 7:30 p.m.

Russell Athletic Player of the Game - Utah QB Tommy Grady

AFL Playmaker of the Game - Jacksonville WR Terrance Smith

Cutters Catch of the Game - Utah WR Aaron Lesue

Spalding Highlight of the Game - Utah WR Alvance Robinson

JLS Ironman of the Game - Utah WR Aaron Lesue

National Guard MVP of the game - Utah QB Tommy Grady

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=eT3luklMGjo

UTAH DEFEATS ARENABOWL CHAMPS IN OFFENSIVE SHOOTOUT

Last Updated: April 13, 2012 11:46 PM

Grady Lifts Utah to Third Victory of the Season with 11 Touchdown Effort

JACKSONVILLE – The Utah Blaze (3-2) earned a 75-67 victory over the defending ArenaBowl Champion Jacksonville Sharks (1-3) in front of a crowd of 9,016 on Friday at Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena. After throwing five interceptions two weeks ago in a loss to the New Orleans VooDoo, Blaze QB Tommy Grady exploded for 11 total touchdowns.

The combination of Grady to WR Aaron Lesue was downright unstoppable, as the pair hooked up for seven touchdown connections on the night. Grady threw for 325 yards with 10 touchdowns and added another score on a quarterback sneak. The electric Blaze offense was defined by efficiency, scoring touchdowns on all 11 of its possessions.

The teams exchanged scores throughout much of the night, tying the game on five occasions. The trend looked as though it would continue when Sharks WR Terrance Smith hauled in a 38-yard touchdown from QB Omar Jacobs with 52 seconds remaining in the contest. However, Utah retained a 68-67 lead after K Marco Capozzoli missed the extra point attempt. With 33 seconds left of the clock, Grady rolled out and fired a bullet to Lesue, who made a remarkable reception off the wall in the end zone to seal the game.

“We were in an old-fashioned AFL shootout tonight,” said President & Head Coach Ron James. “We were able to be very efficient on the offensive side by scoring on all of our possession. Ultimately, that was the difference in the game.”

Utah WR Alvance Robinson contributed 10 receptions for a game-high 183 yards and two touchdowns. WR Ernie Pierce had a touchdown catch of his own, as he caught five balls for 32 yards. Defensively, MLB Jacob Hardwick and DL Mike Lewis each delivered solo sacks.

QB Omar Jacobs led the way for the Sharks, as he threw for 290 yards and nine touchdowns. WR Jeron Harvey caught 11 passes for 83 yards and four scores, while WR Terrance Smith contributed eight receptions for 154 yards and five touchdowns.

Russell Athletic Player of the Game - Utah QB Tommy Grady

AFL Playmaker of the Game - Jacksonville WR Terrance Smith

Cutters Catch of the Game - Utah WR Aaron Lesue

Spalding Highlight of the Game - Utah WR Alvance Robinson

JLS Ironman of the Game - Utah WR Aaron Lesue

National Guard MVP of the game - Utah QB Tommy Grady

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    quiet night for simmons 2 carries for 3 yards 1 td 2 rec 13 yards 0 tds....at least hes playing again after ending the jets season on ir

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by josereyessteal View Post
    quiet night for simmons 2 carries for 3 yards 1 td 2 rec 13 yards 0 tds....at least hes playing again after ending the jets season on ir
    No one cares, my friend.
    Last edited by crasherino; 04-19-2012 at 10:51 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    No one cares fag.
    you are very rude

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWDqV...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfVhh...ature=youtu.be

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    HOLMAN IS THE SHARKS' MULTI-TASKER

04/15/2012 5:53 PM

By Tim Bee

To the average football fan, when they hear about a 6-foot-3, 295-pound player, versatility probably is not the first word that comes to mind. They might hear those measurables and see that player as nothing more than another huge body on either the offensive or defensive line.

The average fan would be wrong in the case of the Sharks’ Jason Holman, who throughout his football career has made a living playing at a high level on both sides of the ball. It is rare to come across a player with the right combination of size and athleticism needed to play on both the offensive and defensive lines. However, Holman is the complete package.

“Jason is our MVP from last year, our most versatile player,” head coach Les Moss said. “He can play any position on the offensive line or defensive front. He can play all eight of them and he does a good job at all of them.”

Holman’s versatility was noticed at a young age. He started football on the offensive line at James River High School in Midlothian, Virginia. It was at James River where Holman got his first taste of defense when head coach Chris Bell would bring him in to get key stops. Bell later described Holman as “the team’s best lineman on both sides of the ball.”

After high school Holman played center for two years at the University of Maryland. He then transferred to Winston-Salem State University where he moved permanently to defense. In two years at Winston-Salem, Holman recorded 74 tackles, 14 tackles for loss, three sacks, three forced fumbles and one fumble recovery.

The now three-year Arena Football League veteran has played primarily on the defensive line throughout his professional career. However, Moss noticed Holman’s versatility during the 2011 season and decided to give him snaps at offensive guard and center.

The move proved to be a smart one as Holman helped bolster an offensive line that allowed the least sacks in the AFL (11) and propelled the Sharks to an ArenaBowl XXIV Championship. Holman also had six sacks on the defensive side; good enough for second on the team.

Heading into the 2012 season, Holman entered camp again focusing primarily on the defensive side of the ball. But when questions arose about the Sharks pass protection early on, Holman was again called upon to help anchor the offensive line.

“I just do whatever I can to help the team,” Holman said. “I definitely like defense because I get to deliver more of the blow then actually take it. But I’ll do anything I can to help the team win. If they need me on offense, I’ll get over there and play offense.”

In addition to playing on both lines, the Sharks have been experimenting with Holman at the fullback position. This essentially allows the Sharks to have four pass protectors, giving quarterback Omar Jacobs a little more time to make his throws.

“I hold myself to a standard to where I don’t want the quarterback to get hit at all,” Holman said. “That’s the standard we had with [Aaron Garcia] and that’s the standard with Omar.”

Traditionally, a fullback’s job is not only to pass protect, but to run the ball as well. Holman isn’t sure if Moss will ever go as far as to use him in that kind of role but he said he’d be ready if he got the chance.

“Of course every fat man has hoop dreams,” Holman said. “But I don’t know if that’s actually going to happen. I’m just going to make sure I’m ready in case he ever does want to give me the ball. I’m not really a dancer but if I ever score a touchdown I think I might have to come up with something.”

Being a veteran, Moss looks to Holman to be a leader for the Sharks. Holman is admittedly a lead-by-example kind of guy. The amount of work Holman puts in to succeed at multiple positions is something he hopes will rub off on the rest of the team.

Holman also admits that there is still room for improvement. He holds himself to a high standard and knows that he can always get better. Even with room for improvement, Holman is one of the Sharks most valuable weapons at their disposal.

“I guess it’s helped me along my career to be versatile,” Holman said. “It’s helped me stay productive and stay on the team so I’m just trying to keep it going.”

JEFF LITTLEJOHN BACK IN FOLD FOR SHARKS

04/17/2012 5:46 PM

JACKSONVILLE – The ArenaBowl XXIV Champion Jacksonville Sharks announced Tuesday that defensive lineman Jeff Littlejohn has been assigned to the team’s roster.

The 29-year-old Littlejohn (6’2”, 315) played for the Sharks in 2010, recording 19.5 total tackles (12 solo) and a career-high five sacks. He also forced two fumbles, recovered three and notched a pair of pass breakups. Littlejohn’s most memorable play as a Shark came in the regular-season finale against the Spokane Shock, when he returned a fumble 47 yards for a touchdown in the second quarter of a 64-49 Jacksonville victory.

Following the 2010 season, Littlejohn joined the Georgia Force, playing for the team for the entirety of 2011 and the beginning of 2012. In 2011, Littlejohn accounted for four sacks and blocked three kicks. This season, Littlejohn started the Force’s first four games before being placed on recallable reassignment on April 11. He played against the Sharks in Week 3 but did not record a tackle.

Littlejohn began his Arena Football League career in 2007 with the San Jose Sabercats and prior to that spent the 2006 NFL Preseason with the Tennessee Titans. Before turning pro, he starred at Middle Tennessee State, where he was voted Sun Belt Conference Defensive Player of the Year as a senior in 2005.

To make room for Littlejohn on the 24-man active roster, the Sharks placed defensive back Koreen Burch on recallable reassignment.

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCFG1-RsAO4&list=UU56xlYnuKpdzmzFw0KDtncQ&index=5&featur e=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfRzb...1&feature=plcp

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can this thread be dumped/locked?

Seriously, nobody cares about this spamming thread.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    SHARKS GET READY FOR GLADIATORS

04/18/2012 6:35 PM

JACKSONVILLE – The ArenaBowl XXIV Champion Jacksonville Sharks continue to prepare for the team’s Week 7 road matchup against the Cleveland Gladiators on Saturday, April 21. Saturday’s game at Quicken Loans Arena is set to kick off at 7:30 p.m.

Jacksonville (1-3) enters this week’s game on a three-game losing streak, having last won in Week 2 against the Kansas City Command. Though the results have not yet appeared in the win column, the Sharks have played significantly improved football since their loss to Georgia in the March 24 home opener. Over the last two games, Jacksonville is averaging 68 points per contest and has only turned the ball over twice.

Key in that offensive performance has been the phenomenal play of second-year wide receiver Terrance Smith. Smith has accounted for at least 269 all-purpose yards and five touchdowns in each of the last two games, earning both the Week 4 and Week 6 AFL Playmaker of the Week honors. Last time out against the Utah Blaze, Smith had the Sharks’ best receiving performance of the season, hauling in eight receptions for 154 yards and five touchdowns. Thanks to his dynamic ability in the return game, Smith leads the entire Arena Football League with 231.8 all-purpose yards per game.

As Smith has taken his game to the next level, so too has second-year quarterback Omar Jacobs. After throwing four interceptions against Georgia in his first career start, Jacobs has fired twelve touchdown passes without an interception in the two games since. Against the Blaze, he tied a franchise record with nine scores through the air as Jacksonville scored on all but the final possession of each half.

To take down the Gladiators, the Sharks will need improved play on defense, as the Blaze scored on all 11 of their possessions last week. In addition, the Jacksonville secondary has accounted for just one interception through the first four games of the season. More consistent pressure from the front four should help the Sharks’ secondary create a game-changing turnover this weekend.

The front four was bolstered this week by the return of defensive lineman Jeff Littlejohn, who served as the team’s starting nose guard in 2010. Littlejohn headed north to the Georgia Force in 2011, and began this season with that team before being placed on recallable reassignment last week. Littlejohn’s arrival gives the Sharks’ defensive line more depth and should allow every member of that unit to stay fresher throughout the course of the game.

Know Your Foe

The hallmark of the 2012 Cleveland Gladiators (3-2) has been defense. The Gladiators have allowed 41 points or less in three of five games this season and lead the League with just 47 points allowed per game. The team has been able to use turnovers to swing momentum, ranking fifth in the league both with 16 take and a plus-four turnover margin.

Drew Berube leads the Cleveland defense, as the defensive lineman leads the squad with five tackles for loss and four sacks. In the secondary, defensive backs Levy Brown and Joe Phinisee each have three of the team’s 11 total interceptions.

On offense, longtime AFL veteran John Dutton helms the Gladiator attack. Now in his third year with the team, Dutton missed all but one game of the 2011 regular season with an Achilles injury. The quarterback has returned healthy this season, totaling 30 touchdown passes against nine interceptions over the Gladiators’ first five games. To date, Dutton has spread the ball fairly well between the team’s top three receivers, as Dominick Goodman, Robert Redd and Thyron Lewis all have at least 28 receptions and eight receiving touchdowns.

Broadcast Information

Saturday’s game will not be broadcast on television in either the Jacksonville or Cleveland markets. However, the game will be shown live on the Sharks’ official UStream channel, found at www.ustream.tv/JacksonvilleSharks. Sharks Director of Media Relations Zander Kean will provide play-by-play on the UStream webcast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kStoP...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX3gW...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phCTJ...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThH9K...hannel&list=UL

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like

Delete this thread? Not on your life.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    LOL