Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State bill would punish cyberbullying

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

State bill would punish cyberbullying

Don't know what to think about this one. 15 years in jail for cyberbullying? Sounds harsh to me. Cyberbullying is not right, but 15 years in jail is a bit much. Opinions? And any legal minds care to comment on the Constitutionality of this matter?

[QUOTE]State bill would punish cyberbullying

A proposed state law that would make cyberbullying a crime comparable to stalking -- and in some instances manslaughter -- was unveiled Monday with the help of a Long Island girl who was victimized online and at school.

The proposal comes on the heels of the apparent suicide of a 14-year-old Buffalo boy who was found dead Sunday after alleged cyberbullying.

The bill, which will be presented in Albany at the next legislative session, would add cyberbullying to the definition of third-degree stalking and includes "bullycide" -- harassment that pushes a victim to suicide -- to the definition of second-degree manslaughter.

"Our society has changed so much because of all these electronic devices," said Lake Grove anti-bullying activist Jamie Isaacs, 15. "Now if you're bullied, the whole world finds out and people chime in immediately. Once something is online, it stays online. These hurtful words, these attacks, they will always be there."

The measure was unveiled Monday a news conference held by state Sen. Jeffrey Klein (D-Bronx) outside Manhattan Criminal Court.

"We've come a long way from yesteryear of the schoolyard bully, who would pick on you and pick on you, maybe a fight occurred and then it was over," Klein said. "Unfortunately the bully of yesteryear has gotten to become a cyberbully, where you can hide behind the Internet and Facebook and Twitter and really torment a person."

The manslaughter charges means that a cyberbully, defined in the proposal as someone who causes of fear of harm or emotional distress using electronic communications to a person under 21, could potentially be jailed for 15 years.

Isaacs knows firsthand the consequences of Internet attacks, she said, having for years been bullied by Sachem Central School District classmates.

She and her family were there to support the legislation proposed by Klein and fellow Democratic state Sens. Diane Savino of Staten Island and David Carlucci of Clarkstown.

Klein described Isaacs, who used her experiences to inspire her year-old Jamie Isaacs Foundation for Anti-Bullying, the "bravest young woman I've met in a while."

The Sachem school district has declined to comment on Isaacs' case, citing confidentiality and ongoing litigation. The district has said it has a zero-tolerance policy for bullying. Isaacs' family has filed at least four notices of claim against the district since 2007.

Isaacs, who said she was forced to transfer schools and is now a 10th-grader, helped Suffolk Legis. Jon Cooper (D-Lloyd Harbor) pen a bill that would have held school officials responsible for keeping records of bullying and punishing perpetrators.

Cooper withdrew the bill after passage of a state measure calling for all districts to have in place, after the next school year, policies, programs and training to curb bias and bullying.

[url]http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/state-bill-would-punish-cyberbullying-1.3202446[/url][/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    See you guys better stop picking on each other. I don't see an issue adding a line to cover cyberbullying to the statutes mentioned for clarity. I know my kids schools are really trying to indocrinate the kids against cyber-bullying, even more than I ever saw for actual bullying. My kids thought it was very funny that their antibullying program was nicknamed HIB which stands for Harassment, Intimidation and Bullying but sounds too much like HIV for a 7th grader to keep a straight face.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    15 years is absurd. There are lesser penalties for rape and DUI manslaughter and other serious crimes like armed robbery.
    Jail time is deserved, yes, and it also depends on age. If an adult does it the penalty should be more severe.
    A couple years maximum for a minor (depending on circumstances) and in an appropriate institution - not the general population of a regular prison.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;4162515]15 years is absurd. There are lesser penalties for rape and DUI manslaughter and other serious crimes like armed robbery.
    Jail time is deserved, yes, and it also depends on age. If an adult does it the penalty should be more severe.
    A couple years maximum for a minor (depending on circumstances) and in an appropriate institution - not the general population of a regular prison.[/QUOTE]

I assume the 15 years is a maximum penalty so wouldn't there be leeway to a lesser sentence for a lesser offense?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4162519]I assume the 15 years is a maximum penalty so wouldn't there be leeway to a lesser sentence for a lesser offense?[/QUOTE]

I am a law and order guy but 15 years is too much for this. Even as a maximum. It's like in the South, rape used to be punishable by death. Sorry to say it was enforced if the perp was black. That has not been the case for a 80+ years now though.
    What is necessary is more prompt action by students, faculty and the victim. The offender needs to be quickly identified and separated (from school and perhaps society). Not 15 years though.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    thought you guys loved states rights?

guess states rights only works if it's an issue you support... carry on...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4162531]thought you guys loved states rights?

guess states rights only works if it's an issue you support... carry on...[/QUOTE]

Which "you guys" is that? I said I agree with it, PD says he thinks 15 max is too long but isn't against the addition.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4162537] PD says he thinks 15 max is too long but isn't against the addition.[/QUOTE]

palmetto resident of South Carolina doesn't have a horse in the New York race.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess its 15 years because the victims are usually juveniles.

I'm for this, but are we going to get in trouble for how we treat southside? :erm:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4162541]palmetto resident of South Carolina doesn't have a horse in the New York race.[/QUOTE]

Nor do I but we are still allowed to talk about it. Are you saying we should ban Black Death and The Turk since we talk US politics?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4162541]palmetto resident of South Carolina doesn't have a horse in the New York race.[/QUOTE]

I am a SC resident, but that doesn't prevent me from commenting on a concept. BTW, I lived in NY for probably longer than you bit.
    Anyway, it is a state's rights issue. I am against bulllying and abuse. I just feel the level of sentence is potentially too severe regardless of the locale. I also feel NY/NJ shoulod execute more people who are deserving. But that is up to those states.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    More government

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;4162577]I am a SC resident, but that doesn't prevent me from commenting on a concept. BTW, I lived in NY for probably longer than you bit.
    Anyway, it is a state's rights issue. [/QUOTE]

thought the whole point of states rights is one state can do whatever the eff it wants, without criticism from the federal gov't or another state

of course yes it is within the South Carolina states rights to say the idea sucks.

so i guess it gets tricky when we parlay this idea of individualism out

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4162531]thought you guys loved states rights?

guess states rights only works if it's an issue you support... carry on...[/QUOTE]

Says who, exactly?

You seem to have a disconnect here Bit, one can support States Rights (to pass a law) and yet be against the policy of the law the State passes.

Geez Bit, that one isn't even hard.:rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I don't see a need for such a law. Stalking and harassment laws seem to already apply in these potential scenarios.

But I live in Colorado so my opinion is irrelevant. :D

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    another overreaction to a supposed "epidemic". Sort of like when crack came out and the government decided that a 100:1 punishment was somehow the answer.

They need to look like they care right? I mean, is cyberbullying somehow a loophole in the law? I can cyberbully people without consequence right now?

We have laws that protect kids from adults and from each other and we have harassment law. Am I missing something?

Sadly, bullying has been around forever and will always be around, no amount of overreaction and blowing something out of proportion will change that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE][url]http://www.newser.com/story/129689/bullies-taunt-gay-suicides-sis-were-glad-hes-dead.html[/url]

Bullies are continuing to plague a grief-stricken family even after the suicide of their 14-year-old gay son. New York student Jamey Rodemeyer killed himself after repeatedly complaining about bullies at his school and after making a heart-breaking YouTube video where he talked of his hopes for a better future. Now those same bullies chanted "we're glad he's dead" when Jamey's 16-year-old sister, Alyssa, attended a homecoming dance. "She was having a great time, and all of a sudden a Lady Gaga song came on, and they all started chanting for Jamey, all of his friends," Jamey's mom, Tracy, said on the Today Show. "Then the bullies that put him into this situation started chanting, [B]'You're better off dead!' and 'We're glad you're dead!'[/B]"

Alyssa "came home in tears," said her mom. "It turned into bullying even after he's gone." Her dad added: "I canít grasp it. I donít know why anyone would do that. They have no heart." Authorities are still considering whether to file hate crime or criminal harassment charges against the key bullies who taunted Jamey. Lady Gaga dedicated a song to Jamey's memory at a weekend concert in Las Vegas.[/QUOTE]

:(

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKEiUURUVR8[/url]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;4163516]Personally, I don't see a need for such a law. Stalking and harassment laws seem to already apply in these potential scenarios.

But I live in Colorado so my opinion is irrelevant. :D[/QUOTE]

It's a core problem with elected Government.

Those currently in office have to be seen to be "doing something" about current day ills.

So even though perfectly appropriate laws or regulation already exist (and in many cases are simply not enforced, or poorly enforced), they get no play from that, so they stridently waltz into the Statehouse and propose a NEW law, with a great bold name, to stop the issue of the day. So what if a few dozens laws already apply, and a half a bushel of regulations too....this NEW LAW will really handle it.

Traced back, this is why Govt. today is the massive, ineffeficiant, bumbling and in most cases six-agencies-doing-the-same-thing-enforceing-25-same-laws we have now.

I'm not against good law, and good Government. I'm all for it, and funding it.

I'm against the way WE run Government, where law gets piled on law, and reg on top of reg, because it's always best for politicians to do something new, than fix anything that came before. And thats a recipie for both failure and waste.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4163946]It's a core problem with elected Government.

Those currently in office have to be seen to be "doing something" about current day ills.

So even though perfectly appropriate laws or regulation already exist (and in many cases are simply not enforced, or poorly enforced), they get no play from that, so they stridently waltz into the Statehouse and propose a NEW law, with a great bold name, to stop the issue of the day. So what if a few dozens laws already apply, and a half a bushel of regulations too....this NEW LAW will really handle it.

Traced back, this is why Govt. today is the massive, ineffeficiant, bumbling and in most cases six-agencies-doing-the-same-thing-enforceing-25-same-laws we have now.

I'm not against good law, and good Government. I'm all for it, and funding it.

I'm against the way WE run Government, where law gets piled on law, and reg on top of reg, because it's always best for politicians to do something new, than fix anything that came before. And thats a recipie for both failure and waste.[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything you said here!

I wonder though, who is more at fault? The reactionary voters who get up in arms and demand something be done about the issue of the day or the politicians who scurry to appease them or the entire system we have?

This is a real question too, not something snarky....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=piney;4163950]I wonder though, who is more at fault?[/QUOTE]

D. All of the above

It's an inherant issue of human nature (MY ISSUE IS TEH MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE EVA!!!! AND NEEDS ADDRESSED NAOW!) and the system (I must win votes, to win votes I must be seen doing soemthing, and passing new laws is the most visable somethign I can be seen to do).