Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 R&R HOF INDUCTEES

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

2011 R&R HOF INDUCTEES

Not that I care a great deal (the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is one of the biggest jokes in the music industry), but here are this year's inductees. I get G&R, but Joan Jett and The Cure?

[I]NEW YORK (AP) Long ago, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts professed their love for rock 'n' roll. It's time to see if the feeling runs both ways.

The iconic rock act is on the list of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees for the 2012 class released today. Women who rock feature prominently among first-time nominees. Joining Jett, whose "I Love Rock 'n' Roll" remains a classic rock standard 30 years after its release, are sister act Heart and Rufus with Chaka Khan.

They're joined by Guns 'N Roses, hip-hop pioneers Eric B. & Rakim, glum glam Goths The Cure and The Small Faces/The Faces, which includes Rod Stewart. Bluesman Freddie King and The Spinners are also first-time nominees on the ballot for the hall's 2012 class.

Previous nominees up again include The Beastie Boys, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Donna Summer, Laura Nyro, Donovan and War and it's an eclectic group, running from lush British folk to classic early beats and bone-crushing power rock.

An act must have released its first single or album 25 years ago to qualify for induction. More than 500 voters will determine who makes the hall. New members will be inducted at a ceremony at the hall of fame in Cleveland on April 14.

The leather-clad and tough-as-nails Jett was an early icon for women. A founding member of the all-female The Runaways, she went on to become a chart-topping success after forming the Blackhearts in 1982.

Heart similarly made an indelible mark on the rock scene of the 1970s and '80s. Among the first women to front an aggressive rock band, singer Ann Wilson and her sister, guitarist Nancy Wilson, cut some of the era's most memorable songs, from "Barracuda" to "Magic Man," and inspired a generation of women along the way.

Then a teen, Khan burst on the scene with the Chicago-based Rufus in the 1970s. She defied easy categorization, moving easily between R&B, rock and disco before going onto an enviable solo career.[/I]

[url]http://www.LoHud.com/article/20110927/ENTERTAINMENT/109270369/Joan-Jett-Guns-N-Roses-Heart-Cure-nominated-rock-hall?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Frontpage|s[/url]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Hall of Shame. The R-N-R HOF is such a pile of ****e. How anyone can take it seriously is beyond me.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=petejet;4162568]Hall of Shame. The R-N-R HOF is such a pile of ****e. How anyone can take it seriously is beyond me.[/QUOTE]

There never existed a greater bunch of clueless wankers.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    complete list from RNR website

Fan Poll: Who do you think should be inducted in 2012?

The Cure [URL="http://services.nirvanix.com/polldaddy/polldaddy/images/58b229c472f42d8b149858eef531f31b.jpg"][/URL]

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts [URL="http://services.nirvanix.com/polldaddy/polldaddy/images/3f08c8430b1d731e7905c0d1c07205f6.jpg"][/URL]

Heart [URL="http://services.nirvanix.com/polldaddy/polldaddy/images/86d1e67f33524ce3036396ca24857e43.jpg"][/URL]

Freddie King

The Small Faces/The Faces

The Spinners

Beastie Boys [URL="http://services.nirvanix.com/polldaddy/polldaddy/images/7456230ec52115b070b04b774de35a32.jpg"][/URL]

Donovan [URL="http://services.nirvanix.com/polldaddy/polldaddy/images/ec583dd9825b1361ba1858290f3c1a06.jpg"][/URL]

Laura Nyro

Red Hot Chili Peppers [URL="http://services.nirvanix.com/polldaddy/polldaddy/images/1d0115c2a1fdd00d0e80e5293a5a72f7.jpg"][/URL]

War

Eric B. & Rakim[URL="http://services.nirvanix.com/polldaddy/polldaddy/images/842ca46a50076118649f7a537e736dff.jpg"][/URL]

Guns 'N Roses [URL="http://services.nirvanix.com/polldaddy/polldaddy/images/e2d95a56c7ee21b0be79b7882ae73dba.jpg"][/URL]

Rufus with Chaka Khan

Donna Summer [URL="http://services.nirvanix.com/polldaddy/polldaddy/images/fc4669d4e635b95cf09edf6e31f6262c.jpg"][/URL]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets make our own HOF.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4162582]complete list from RNR website

Fan Poll: Who do you think should be inducted in 2012?

[/QUOTE]

They need to change the name from "Rock & Roll HOF" to "Music HOF". In its current form, the HOF is a joke and incorrect in terms of honoring artists out of the rock & roll genre.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4162587]They need to change the name from "Rock & Roll HOF" to "Music HOF". In its current form, the HOF is a joke and incorrect in terms of honoring artists out of the rock & roll genre.[/QUOTE]
    I totally agree, the only thing I could find as a qualifier is you had to have an album at least 25 years old. lol

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southside;4162584]Lets make our own HOF.[/QUOTE]

I'll start the list.

Not you.

_

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4162622]I totally agree, the only thing I could find as a qualifier is you had to have an album at least 25 years old. lol[/QUOTE]

LOL. Look, I liked the Rufus record and the song, "Tell Me Something Good". But these guys did nothing else after. Chaka distinguished herself as a solo artist. How the f**k do you put them ahead of Rush, Jethro Tull, and Deep Purple to name just a few of the wrongly omitted.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4162636]LOL. Look, I liked the Rufus record and the song, "Tell Me Something Good". But these guys did nothing else after. Chaka distinguished herself as a solo artist. How the f**k do you put them ahead of Rush, Jethro Tull, and Deep Purple to name just a few of the wrongly omitted.[/QUOTE]
    laughablew

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Each year you get reminded of how utterly stupid the people who make the nominees are. What criteria are they using other than the 25 yr rule??? This place reminds me of Hard Rock Cafe without the food.

I think the real question is who will be on stage when GnR get inducted?? will it be a **** show?? or will this be the start of the long awaited renunion????

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4162626]I'll start the list.

Not you.

_[/QUOTE]

Pssshh. I know who'd make it if you were in charge.

2011 Inductions - Little Feat, Little Richard, Bon Jovi

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4162636]LOL. Look, I liked the Rufus record and the song, "Tell Me Something Good". But these guys did nothing else after. Chaka distinguished herself as a solo artist. How the f**k do you put them ahead of Rush, Jethro Tull, and Deep Purple to name just a few of the wrongly omitted.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget about Kiss. But hey, Madonna is worthy of enshrinement.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=2milehighJet;4162658]Each year you get reminded of how utterly stupid the people who make the nominees are. What criteria are they using other than the 25 yr rule??? This place reminds me of Hard Rock Cafe without the food.

[B]I think the real question is who will be on stage when GnR get inducted??[/B] will it be a **** show?? or will this be the start of the long awaited renunion????[/QUOTE]

That, right there, will get me to watch the show. Wonder if Axl's hair system will stay in place?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4162665]That, right there, will get me to watch the show. Wonder if Axl's hair system will stay in place?[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=163821[/url]

GUNS N' ROSES Nominated For ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME Induction - Sep. 27, 2011

GUNS N' ROSES is among 15 finalists for induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. Also hitting the ballot for the first time are THE CURE, HEART, JOAN JETT AND THE BLACKHEARTS, ERIC B. AND RAKIM, THE SPINNERS, THE SMALL FACES/FACES, FREDDY KING and RUFUS WITH CHAKA KHAN, while previous nominees BEASTIE BOYS, LAURA NYRO, WAR DONOVAN and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS also made the cut. Votes will be cast by a group of more than 500 musicians and industry professionals; of the 15 nominees, the five that get the most votes will be announced in January and inducted into the Hall Of Fame at its 27th annual ceremony on April 14, 2012 in Cleveland, Ohio, home to the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame And Museum.

GUNS N' ROSES was nominated in its first year of eligibility.

"It's a great honor," former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Gilby Clarke told The Plain Dealer. "The band deserves it. It was a long time coming."

Acts become eligible 25 years after the release of their first record.

Eccentric singer Axl Rose is the only original member of the current GUNS N' ROSES lineup, and while he has recently been on friendlier terms with guitarist Izzy Stradlin and bass player Duff McKagan, he and guitarist Slash are not on speaking terms.

Asked about what the former bandmates will do if they are inducted, Slash said, "We'll cross that bridge when we get there . . . If they're gonna pass you over, I don't think it's worth worrying about too much."

Earlier this year, former GUNS N' ROSES bassist Duff McKagan spoke to MusicRadar.com about the possibility of the band being inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

"My only experience with the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame was when VELVET REVOLVER played it and we were inducting VAN HALEN," he said. "That whole band was supposed to be there, including David Lee Roth — we were going to do a song with him. It all started falling apart in the two weeks leading up to the gig. It was sad to watch…

"We were just the innocent band that was there to play VAN HALEN songs, and we saw their whole thing crumble. To see Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar show up, when it was supposed to be everybody... Michael and Sammy were really cool guys and good sports about it, but they took all the heat over the situation. A lot of heat.

"I don't know if I want to set myself up for heat. It's going to be a debacle, isn't it? A press debacle. I just don't know what else to say about it."

Slash said that he was glad to see Alice Cooper going in this year, and as for who has been overlooked, the guitarist said, "The one that comes to mind right off the bat — and it's not even a band that I'm a huge fan of but definitely is eligible — is KISS. And I know that they've been passed over every ****ing year."

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=petejet;4162664]Don't forget about Kiss. [B]But hey, Madonna is worthy of enshrinement.[/B][/QUOTE]

I just about started punchin walls (not the enraptured one in Warfish's video; he might have enjoyed it :D) when that news came out.

Whether people like bands like Kiss or Rush is irrelevant. Their contributions to rock & roll, as well as their longevity, demands their inclusion.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4162673]I just about started punchin walls (not the enraptured one in Warfish's video; he might have enjoyed it :D) when that news came out.

Whether people like bands like Kiss or [B]Rush [/B]is irrelevant. Their contributions to rock & roll, as well as their longevity, demands their inclusion.[/QUOTE]

/facepalm...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4162680]/facepalm...[/QUOTE]

What 42 years of almost non-stop gigging and 19 albums (number 20 coming soon, I hope) means nothing to you? Each one of those guys is a gifted musician and songwriter. Again, appreciating them has nothing to do with the argument. Their legion of fans worldwide, their music, and longevity is what is relevant.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joan ****ing Jett and no J. Geils Band? :steamin:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if the a-holes that run that place actually know what Rock and Roll is....because 1/2 of their inductees should be in the hip-hop or pop music hall of fame.