Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 R&R HOF INDUCTEES

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=petejet;4162568]Hall of Shame. The R-N-R HOF is such a pile of ****e. How anyone can take it seriously is beyond me.[/QUOTE]

Because half the music-consuming public are female. Joan jett's music has something women relate to. She broke ground; that's what RNR is about, yes?

Jett is a good inductee; she's not a heroin skank; she wrote at least one rock anthem (I am thinking back to the RUnaways) and held her own for many years out there; the Runaways were a big deal, as I alluded to.

[QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;4162715]Because half the music-consuming public are female. Joan jett's music has something women relate to. She broke ground; that's what RNR is about, yes?

Jett is a good inductee; she's not a heroin skank; she wrote at least one rock anthem (I am thinking back to the RUnaways) and held her own for many years out there; the Runaways were a big deal, as I alluded to.[/QUOTE]

I could get on board (literally and figuratively) with Jett. Her songs were pretty good. I just don't like that she, and others, are included whilst more deserving artists (IMO) are still on the outside.

Being female should not give you extra points. You're either a significant (musicianship/relevance/influence/record sales/songwriting and/or longevity) rock artist or you're not.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;4162715]Because half the music-consuming public are female. J[/QUOTE]

Hence CMT, right?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Southern Rock Bands are severely under represented...

no Marshall Tucker, Outlaws, Elvin Bishop, Charlie Daniels...the only one in is Skynyrd :eek:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

and as far as prgressive groups, no Yes, and I think I would vote them in ahead of Rush.

[QUOTE=jetswin;4162738]and as far as prgressive groups, no Yes, and I think I would vote them in ahead of Rush.[/QUOTE]

Musically, I would agree with you, JW. But in terms of ability to still sell out massive venues worldwide, Rush gets the nod.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;4162742]Musically, I would agree with you, JW. But in terms of ability to still sell out massive venues worldwide, Rush gets the nod.[/QUOTE]
    they must not like the progressives...no Emerson Lake and Palmer either, and no Kansas but they sucked lol

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;4162693]What 42 years of almost non-stop gigging and 19 albums (number 20 coming soon, I hope) means nothing to you? Each one of those guys is a gifted musician and songwriter. Again, appreciating them has nothing to do with the argument. Their legion of fans worldwide, their music, and longevity is what is relevant.[/QUOTE]

I understand the argument...

Will we be doing the same thing with say... Coldplay?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4162582]complete list from RNR website

Fan Poll: Who do you think should be inducted in 2012?

[B]The Cure[/B] [URL="http://services.nirvanix.com/polldaddy/polldaddy/images/58b229c472f42d8b149858eef531f31b.jpg"][/URL]

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts [URL="http://services.nirvanix.com/polldaddy/polldaddy/images/3f08c8430b1d731e7905c0d1c07205f6.jpg"][/URL]

[B]Heart[/B] [URL="http://services.nirvanix.com/polldaddy/polldaddy/images/86d1e67f33524ce3036396ca24857e43.jpg"][/URL]

[B]Freddie King[/B]

The Small Faces/The Faces

The Spinners

[B]Beastie Boys[/B] [URL="http://services.nirvanix.com/polldaddy/polldaddy/images/7456230ec52115b070b04b774de35a32.jpg"][/URL]

Donovan [URL="http://services.nirvanix.com/polldaddy/polldaddy/images/ec583dd9825b1361ba1858290f3c1a06.jpg"][/URL]

Laura Nyro

Red Hot Chili Peppers [URL="http://services.nirvanix.com/polldaddy/polldaddy/images/1d0115c2a1fdd00d0e80e5293a5a72f7.jpg"][/URL]

War

Eric B. & Rakim[URL="http://services.nirvanix.com/polldaddy/polldaddy/images/842ca46a50076118649f7a537e736dff.jpg"][/URL]

[B]Guns 'N Roses[/B] [URL="http://services.nirvanix.com/polldaddy/polldaddy/images/e2d95a56c7ee21b0be79b7882ae73dba.jpg"][/URL]

Rufus with Chaka Khan

Donna Summer [URL="http://services.nirvanix.com/polldaddy/polldaddy/images/fc4669d4e635b95cf09edf6e31f6262c.jpg"][/URL][/QUOTE]

Casting aside the the name of the place is the ROCK & ROLL HOF and that there are more deserving artists left off the above list, I feel the bolded are the most deserving.

I went with the Beastie Boys over Eric B. & Rakim for "hip-hop" artist because I feel they have been more influential (although I like Eric B. more).

Heart fills the girl-power niche better than Jett, while also having, IMHO, true rock cred.

The Cure is arguably the most influential alternative/progressive band of all-time. I could see someone like Yes in their place, though.

Freddie King is a legend. Nuff said.

GnR has earned the right to be there, although I think the Peppers could make a stronger argument.
    Last edited by Jetworks; 09-27-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4162636]LOL. Look, I liked the Rufus record and the song, "Tell Me Something Good". But these guys did nothing else after. Chaka distinguished herself as a solo artist. How the f**k do you put them ahead of [B][SIZE="4"]Rush, Jethro Tull, and Deep Purple [/SIZE][/B]to name just a few of the wrongly omitted.[/QUOTE]

RUSH, Deep Purple and Jethro Tull have carved out and influenced more young ROCK bands in the last 25 years than half the inductees combined.

I remember watching Ritchie Blackmore as a kid and being blown away. Loved Space Truckin, Smoke on the water to name a few.

What a Fukkin joke. When RUSH gets inducted, they should send some mailman to pick up the prize for them.

Then again Erik B and Rakim are all the talk around the water cooler.....

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4162751]I understand the argument...

Will we be doing the same thing with say... Coldplay?[/QUOTE]

Stop it. They are not in the same league.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4162735]Southern Rock Bands are severely under represented...

no Marshall Tucker, Outlaws, Elvin Bishop, Charlie Daniels...the only one in is Skynyrd :eek:[/QUOTE]

with good reason no?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=FF2;4162707]Joan ****ing Jett and no J. Geils Band? :steamin:[/QUOTE]

The R&R HOF is a joke.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4162751]I understand the argument...

Will we be doing the same thing with say... Air Supply?[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

_

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4162742]Musically, I would agree with you, JW. But in terms of ability to still sell out massive venues worldwide, Rush gets the nod.[/QUOTE]

This is not important.

U2 had the largest grossing tour in the history of the world, but teenyboppers downloaded more copies of Vida La Dickwad and...poof...Coldplay is more popular than U2.

Didn't you hear?

Concert going is dead, the only people who go to concerts are old folks who have let technology pass them by. They don't buy records, they only go to see live concerts*.

Except out of the 90,000 people at MetLife Stadium for U2, this summer, about half of them were under 30.

*Funny, the same guy spewing this drivel is the guy that tells you he's a bigger fan because he goes to see his favorite...band...live rather than the cheap kid downloading tunes from his basement sofa. :rolleyes:

_
    Last edited by JStokes; 09-27-2011 at 01:53 PM.

I don't understand the whole idea of a hall of fame. These people are already famous. We already know everything there is to know about them. Why have a bunch of exhibits explaining who they are? And do they really require the formal recognition of their fame?

They should have a hall of the insanely talented but criminally underappreciated. Now, that is a selection commitee I would like to be on.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4162826]copies of Vida La Dickwad[/QUOTE]

Which, interestingly enough, was a follow up to their worldwide, smash hit "Cocks"...

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4162724]Hence CMT, right?[/QUOTE]
    lol, right on. Interesting how CMT is the new acronym; dumping the C&W tag. Thinking abou tit further, there are no Coal Miner's Daughters in that bunch. Just a few Hayseed Hotties that don't get too deep. :D

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4162747]they must not like the progressives...no Emerson Lake and Palmer either, and no Kansas but they sucked lol[/QUOTE]
    ELP didn't make much of a dent; Yes is very unique (s/b inducted) and Kansas is the jetsrule of rock bands...a supreme head-scratcher to begin with.

[QUOTE=JStokes;4162826]This is not important.

U2 had the largest grossing tour in the history of the world, but teenyboppers downloaded more copies of Vida La Dickwad and...poof...Coldplay is more popular than U2.

Didn't you hear?

Concert going is dead, the only people who go to concerts are old folks who have let technology pass them by. They don't buy records, they only go to see live concerts*.

Except out of the 90,000 people at MetLife Stadium for U2, this summer, about half of them were under 30.

*Funny, the same guy spewing this drivel is the guy that tells you he's a bigger fan because he goes to see his favorite...band...live rather than the cheap kid downloading tunes from his basement sofa. :rolleyes:

_[/QUOTE]

Good points. But we're talking about acts and artists who/which were popular when concerts were a big deal.

Not to belabor the point, but bands like Rush and Iron Maiden (another huge R&RHOF oversight, IMO) can still sell out venus in the US and South America which seat 50K+. This should count for something in the minds of those who nominate, and elect, inductees. What better indicator of fame is audiences still lining up to see your shows 30 or 40 years later?