Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2011 R&R HOF INDUCTEES

Bewildered Beast
    IRON MAIDEN GETS IT; induct them [I]NOW[/I]. They are the greatest fan story going, BAR NONE. :yes:

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;4162781]Stop it. They are not in the same league.[/QUOTE]

Yet...

And lol @ Air Supply...

I think the first time I ever heard of them was in the credits of Bad Company...

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4162909]Yet...

And lol @ Air Supply...

I think the first time I ever heard of them was in the credits of Bad Company...[/QUOTE]

I should have added IMO in that post. I will say that if Coldplay stays together for 40 years like Rush, and creates as many albums as the band whilst continuing to sell out major venues worldwide and influence countless artists in the genre with their songwriting and musicianship, then "yes" they should be inducted into the R&RHOF.

The difference between Rush and Coldplay is that Rush has a virtuoso at bass, guitar and drums. Coldplay has one in Chris Martin, who I respect immensely.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4162890]Good points. But we're talking about acts and artists who/which were popular when concerts were a big deal.

Not to belabor the point, but bands like Rush and Iron Maiden (another huge R&RHOF oversight, IMO) can still sell out venus in the US and South America which seat 50K+. This should count for something in the minds of those who nominate, and elect, inductees. What better indicator of fame is audiences still lining up to see your shows 30 or 40 years later?[/QUOTE]

My response was sarcastic.

Coldplay sells out 10,000 seat arenas for one night in Wales or South Africa or Australia, yet they are apparently MORE popular than U2 who sells out 90,000 seat stadiums for multiple night for every night of the tour.

You put Coldplay in MetLife Stadium and it'll look like a WNBA game.

_

[QUOTE=JStokes;4162943]My response was sarcastic.

Coldplay sells out 10,000 seat arenas for one night in Wales or South Africa or Australia, yet they are apparently MORE popular than U2 who sells out 90,000 seat stadiums for multiple night for every night of the tour.

[B]You put Coldplay in MetLife Stadium and it'll look like a WNBA game.[/B]

_[/QUOTE]

LOL. I got that you were being sarcastic. I was commenting on the young person today who does not frequent concerts. Bands I mentioned were big in the concert going eras and still today. That should mean something to the dunces who vote.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4162735]Southern Rock Bands are severely under represented...

no Marshall Tucker, Outlaws, Elvin Bishop, Charlie Daniels...the only one in is Skynyrd :eek:[/QUOTE]

Do The Allman Brothers not count?

:D

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JStokes;4163038]Do The Allman Brothers not count?

_[/QUOTE]
    are you kidding, my all time favorite band...but I always considered them something more than southern rock :cool:

Hall Of Fame
    Kinda weird, was just looking down the RNR HOF roster and I noted Buffalo Springfield.

I love Stills and Young as much as anyone and "For What It's Worth" is a favorite tune, but with just 3 studio albums in 3 years, did they deserve such recognition?

Wiki describes them one of the most influential bands of the 60s, but wasn't that really a function of the success the various memebers had later on in different incarnations?

_

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4163078]are you kidding, my all time favorite band...but I always considered them [B]something more than southern rock[/B] :cool:[/QUOTE]

True, I always thought of them more of a New England Pop band with a mix of Seattle grunge.

_

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;4162587]They need to change the name from "Rock & Roll HOF" to "Music HOF". In its current form, the HOF is a joke and incorrect in terms of honoring artists out of the rock & roll genre.[/QUOTE]

Thats what it is, the Music Hall of Fame. Don't let the catchall term "Rock and Roll", which has almost no meaning today, fool you.

I have no issue with the selections. Better yet, my view of who is awesome is totally unfazed by the HOF's preferences.

Oh, and Iron Maiden > Rush, without a seconds hesitation. Rush, lol.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4163182][B]Thats what it is, the Music Hall of Fame. Don't let the catchall term "Rock and Roll", which has almost no meaning today, fool you.[/B]

I have no issue with the selections. Better yet, my view of who is awesome is totally unfazed by the HOF's preferences.[/QUOTE]

In my heart, I don't believe the HOF folks believe this. I guess as long as "Rock & Roll is in the name, it will bother me. Just on principle

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;4163185]In my heart, I don't believe the HOF folks believe this. I guess as long as "Rock & Roll is in the name, it will bother me. Just on principle[/QUOTE]

Appreciated.

It's not changing.

Probably best to just let it go tbh.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4163194]Appreciated.

It's not changing.

[B]Probably best to just let it go tbh[/B].[/QUOTE]

You're right.

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;4163198]You're right.[/QUOTE]

Since you're already disgusted, you may as well go hear the full version of Reedtalica. Get the vomiting all out of your system at once.

Trust me.

Deep Purple sold more then 100 million records.
    Slade had more #1 hits in UK then Beatles
    They are not in "hall of fame".
    What a crock of ****.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4163182]Thats what it is, the Music Hall of Fame. .[/QUOTE]

Then where is Pavarotti? Perelman? Michael Nyman? Armstrong?
    Music my arse.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4163206]Since you're already disgusted, you may as well go hear the full version of Reedtalica. Get the vomiting all out of your system at once.

Trust me.[/QUOTE]

Oh, God. I was hoping it would work, but expecting this. I'll still give it a listening, but per your recommendation, will have a basin handy.

[QUOTE=RussianGreen;4163242]Deep Purple sold more then 100 million records.
    [B]Slade had more #1 hits in UK then Beatles[/B]
    They are not in "hall of fame".
    What a crock of ****.[/QUOTE]

One of the most underrated bands of that era.

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;4163251]

One of the most underrated bands of that era.[/QUOTE]

Quiet Riot made name for themselves just covering (and not very good) 2 of their songs. And yet they are probably will be in the hall before Slade or for example Uriah Heap. I am sure that glam-rockers banged the **** out of members of the commission wives, I have no other explanation.

[QUOTE=RussianGreen;4163264]Quiet Riot made name for themselves just covering (and not very good) 2 of their songs. And yet they are probably will be in the hall before Slade or for example Uriah Heap. I am sure that glam-rockers banged the **** out of members of the commission wives, I have no other explanation.[/QUOTE]

I have been a fan of the classic Heep lineup--Hensley, Byron, Box, Thain and Kerslake--since the early 70s. IMO, they deserve inclusion in the HOF based on their body of work before Slade, but not ahead of Deep Purple.

I didn't like the QR versions of either Slade song. Kevin DuBrow couldn't hold a candle to Noddy Holder's gravel-through-razor-blades vocals.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gPulu85q04[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MQRCCNncGA&feature=related[/url]
    Last edited by Borgoguy; 09-27-2011 at 06:39 PM.

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;4163275]I have been a fan of the classic Heep lineup--Hensley, Byron, Box, Thain and Kerslake--since the early 70s. IMO, they deserve inclusion in the HOF based on their body of work before Slade, but not ahead of Deep Purple.

I didn't like the QR versions of either Slade song. Kevin DuBrow couldn't hold a candle to Noddy Holder's gravel-through-razor-blades vocals.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gPulu85q04[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MQRCCNncGA&feature=related[/url][/QUOTE]

Holy Mother of God, look at those boots. :eek:

Sorry, it isn't the Hall of Ok, Sorta Decent. Quiet Riot, Slade, Heep? No on all three. Unless in 25 years you want to let in Bush, Stone Temple Pilots, Creed, Chevelle, Nickleback, etc, and their various ilk, all as big, all as influential, all as beloved by todays folks as Slade or Heep ever was. They are the second (or third, or fourth) tier also rans of their generation.

At some point you have to seperate the wheat from the chaff. Led Zepplin is a great. Slade....not so much.

And before you say it, a band like The Cure, who I'm sure most of us loathe, are vastly more influential that Slade or Heep could have ever hoped to be. We may hate that genre of music, but they all but created it, and have a legacy exceeding that of many lesser-loved 70's hard rock-a-likes.

It's funny how time dialtes talent. Todays Distured, the ext generations Heep? More likely that you think.

Ugh, I just defended the Cure.

To get that out of my system....System. Wargarlb!

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSvFpBOe8eY&feature=artistob&playnext=1&list=TLi09VWbzIxLs[/url]
    Last edited by Warfish; 09-27-2011 at 06:50 PM.