Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2011 R&R HOF INDUCTEES

[QUOTE=JStokes;4164051]1. Wrong. They play mostly 10-20K seat indoor venues.

2. Wrong.

3. Wrong. U2 had the largest grossing tour in the history of tours. Phish isn't on the top 20 list (kind of like you and the top 10). And to say they are big because they had to add seats to the 40K seat Fenway is just silly.

If they put a Fenway on top of a Fenway and put THAT on top of another Fenway, you'd have a U2 concert.

Hate U2 all you want, the statz back them up.

_[/QUOTE]

Yeah well when your audience is dumb enough to spend 150$ per ticket it must be pretty easy to make a lot of money. The band sucks. Deal with it.

And I'm not wrong. I've been to a Phish concert that had over 150K people at it. They put a few of those on every year. U2 can't touch Phish. And Coldplay most definitely could play a stadium. The point is they don't want to because they prefer a little bit more of an intimate setting because Chris likes to interact physically with the audience. That's a fact.

Am I the only one who prefers my favorite bands stay small enough to play smaller venues, clubs or smaller arenas?

I saw Muse at a Univ. Basketball Arena, not huge by any stretch, and it's was amazing, epic, and stunning all at once.

At RFK Stadium (or Fed Ex Field) it wouldn't have been so great.

Good for U2 for selling out the entire State of Nebraska as a single show. Floyd did it too (they held the record a number of times for tour stats). But those shows, as amazing as they are, sometimes leave the music behind for the spectacle. Now, I love spectacle, but the music is important too.

For the record, I respect U2 alot, just don't like their music much, especially the later stuff. "Bullet the Blue Sky" was pretty great though, probably cause it's rather Floydian.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4164075]Am I the only one who prefers my favorite bands stay small enough to play smaller venues, clubs or smaller arenas?[/QUOTE]

I'm the same way. I want an intimate show. Some of the best shows I've ever have been in tiny but awesome venues.

Jets Insider VIP
    "any Hall of Fame" = "any Power Rankings"

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=southside;4164056]Yeah well when your audience is dumb enough to spend 150$ per ticket it must be pretty easy to make a lot of money. The band sucks. Deal with it.

And I'm not wrong. I've been to a Phish concert that had over 150K people at it. They put a few of those on every year. U2 can't touch Phish. And Coldplay most definitely could play a stadium. The point is they don't want to because they prefer a little bit more of an intimate setting because Chris likes to interact physically with the audience. That's a fact.[/QUOTE]

Lol. You're funny. Completely wrong, but you're funny (not top-100 funny though :D). Hard to argue with emotion.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4164075]Am I the only one who prefers my favorite bands stay small enough to play smaller venues, clubs or smaller arenas?

I saw Muse at a Univ. Basketball Arena, not huge by any stretch, and it's was amazing, epic, and stunning all at once.

At RFK Stadium (or Fed Ex Field) it wouldn't have been so great.

Good for U2 for selling out the entire State of Nebraska as a single show. Floyd did it too (they held the record a number of times for tour stats). But those shows, as amazing as they are, sometimes leave the music behind for the spectacle. Now, I love spectacle, but the music is important too.

For the record, I respect U2 alot, just don't like their music much, especially the later stuff. "Bullet the Blue Sky" was pretty great though, probably cause it's rather Floydian.[/QUOTE]

I would absolutely love for all my favorite bands play smaller venues--hell, I'd love to have U2 play at my birthday party and I wish I had seen them at Red Rocks--but super-groups can't really do that.

I love Springsteen, seen him a dozen times and would die to see him at a little club down the Shore, but he got so big he had to do the mega-stadiums, and I think he lost the energy a long time ago he needed to pull it off. I saw him at Hartford Arena 2 years ago (maybe 18K) and he couldn't pull THAT off either.

U2 is the only mega-concert I'll continue to go to, the next largest I'll see is The Allman Brothers at The Beacon or outdoor shows at the Garden State PAC or whatever it's called now.

Quite frankly, the live music I like the best (and which I go to on a monthly basis) are some blues clubs we go to in Harlem and Teaneck and The Back Fence in the Village.

The International Blues Challenge that we go to in Memphis is awesome, it's a bunch of bars on Beale Street where you can sit literally in front of the stage and watch dozens of incredible bands whilst drinking bourbon.

Nothing better than being up close and personal with the musicians so you can actually SEE the guitar and drum work.

_

[QUOTE=Warfish;4164075]Am I the only one who prefers my favorite bands stay small enough to play smaller venues, clubs or smaller arenas?
    [/QUOTE]

Nope. Aside from Rush, all the other bands I would pay to see are very small. I get to see them in great theaters, bars, or in one instance...the lobby of a hotel in Rochester.

The only problem with them staying that small, is it costs a lot of money to tour, so they can barely cover the costs...so tours (in the US at least) are very limited.

[QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;4163577]I didn't start out comparing Rush and Maiden; what I am referring to is Maiden's dedication to their fan base; Allan Freed would have approved of Maiden's buying and rigging a passenger jet to reach their fans in out of the way places. That Flight 666 documentary...it gave me chills; brought a tear to my eye, the whole nine. Iron Maiden is magnificent. :yes:[/QUOTE]

No argument. Up the Irons!

Seems like a good time to bring up Ronnie James Dio. Toured tirelessly well into his 60s. Gave 110% every single night, no matter the venue (The power in his voice physically blew me away at a half empty Russian hockey barn in 2004). This guy rocked harder than almost anyone else over 40 years and took two absolute hall of fame bands to their greatest heights, as well as fronting his own successful band.

[QUOTE=JStokes;4164158]I'd love to have U2 play at my birthday party and I wish I had seen them at Red Rocks--but super-groups can't really do that.[/quote]

[QUOTE=OrangeJet;4164164]The only problem with them staying that small, is it costs a lot of money to tour, so they can barely cover the costs...so tours (in the US at least) are very limited.[/QUOTE]

You're both wrong, "big" acts CAN play small venues if they want AND they can more than afford to do it.

It's a choice, play to as many fans as humanly possible (and many money than comes with that), or play small venues, and deprive a boatload of fans the opportunity to see their act (and deprive them of a boatload of potential profit).

U2 could, if they wanted, play club dates. So could Floyd. They choose not too, and I think we all can understand both their reasons for doing so.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4164207]You're both wrong, "big" acts CAN play small venues[B] if they want AND they can more than afford to do it[/B].

It's a choice, play to as many fans as humanly possible (and many money than comes with that), or play small venues, and deprive a boatload of fans the opportunity to see their act (and deprive them of a boatload of potential profit).

U2 could, if they wanted, play club dates. So could Floyd. They choose not too, and I think we all can understand both their reasons for doing so.[/QUOTE]

I think you missed my point, my friend.

Bono is worth nearly a billion $$ personally, the other 3 are worth over a quarter of a billion each.

They COULD play bar mitzvahs if they wanted to. The cost of doing so has nothing to do with it.

Of course they CHOOSE to play big venues because they make a ton of cash, so when I say they "can't", I don't mean that literally. :D

But to play small venues (which we would ALL like obviously) by doing so that would be a trememdous snub to their fans--but I recongnize that they aren't playing the mega-stadiums for purely altruistic reasons :cool:

They're businessmen first and foremost, much like most of the mega-rich musicians that we wish were JUST musical artists.

_

[QUOTE=JStokes;4164245]I think you missed my point, my friend.

Bono is worth nearly a billion $$ personally[/QUOTE]

It's cause he's been stealing all that aids money he's been raising for the Africans.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=southside;4164275]It's cause he's been stealing all that aids money he's been raising for the Africans.[/QUOTE]

Actually, he bought a 1.5% stake in facebook for $200 million. In 2011 that stake was valued at $700 million when facebook‘s valuation reached $55 billion.

_

Jets Insider VIP
    God: "hey Bono"
    Bono: " w'sup?"
    God: "just wonderin' if you mind if I make it rain next Thursday..."
    Bono: "sure"
    God: "Thanks pal!"

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4164379]Actually, he bought a 1.5% stake in facebook for $200 million. In 2011 that stake was valued at $700 million when facebook‘s valuation reached $55 billion.

_[/QUOTE]
    Stealing Facebook from the Africans. That's nice. Paul Hewson is a real joke of a philanthropist. :mad:

[QUOTE=Warfish;4164207]You're both wrong, "big" acts CAN play small venues if they want AND they can more than afford to do it.

U2 could, if they wanted, play club dates. So could Floyd. They choose not too, and I think we all can understand both their reasons for doing so.[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean to imply they [I]couldn't[/I], it just doesn't really happen. Anyways...I was speaking more so to the fact that I listen to bands that have almost no chance of any commercial success....and that stinks, because it makes touring the states difficult.