Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thousands of heat-seekers unacounted for in Libya

Thousands of heat-seekers unacounted for in Libya

ABC News reported today U.S. officials and security experts were concerned some of Libya's thousands of heat-seeking missiles could easily end up in the hands of al Qaeda or other terrorists groups, creating a threat to commercial airliners.

[IMG]http://www.moonbattery.com/Muammar-Than-He-Bargained-For.jpg[/IMG]

thought this thread was gonna be thousands of heat seekers mounted on nyc skyscrapers

side note i like how it's ok for the USA to have terrible weapons but no one else can be trusted

[QUOTE=bitonti;4163472]side note i like how it's ok for the USA to have terrible weapons but no one else can be trusted[/QUOTE]

Who is the "no one else" is this news item? Do you know who has them?

[QUOTE=Warfish;4163484]Who is the "no one else" is this news item? Do you know who has them?[/QUOTE]

Wait until January 20, 2013. Then our resident "independent" will change his tune.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Link?

All League
    I've got a heat seeking missile...IN MY PANTS!!!

[QUOTE=Warfish;4163484]Who is the "no one else" is this news item? Do you know who has them?[/QUOTE]

honestly i was speculating on the content of original post

I have frequent flyer on perma-ignore

[QUOTE=bitonti;4163472]thought this thread was gonna be thousands of heat seekers mounted on nyc skyscrapers

side note i like how it's ok for the USA to have terrible weapons but no one else can be trusted[/QUOTE]

I would suspect that if the US government fell and our weapons stockpiles weren't secured and we were a tribal country with known ties to terrorist organizations who attack civilians, the world would be crapping in their pants right now.

For twenty years – long before 9/11 – the danger of terrorists armed with surface to air missiles shooting at passenger planes has been the secret fear of many top political leaders. In the late 90s, a terrorist network was nabbed trying to bring them into Newark Airport, but the airline industry and the government have done nothing to equip passenger airplanes with any defense against these always deadly missiles.

Now Barack Obama has committed the ultimate sin: [B]He has let 20,000 surface-to-air missiles escape from military depots in Libya.[/B] According to ABC News “U.S. officials had once thought there was little chance that terrorists could get their hands on many of the portable surface-to-air missiles that can bring down a commercial jet liner. But now that calculation is out the window, with officials at a recent secret White House meeting reporting that thousands of them have gone missing in Libya.” An estimated 20,000 of these “portable, heat-seeking missiles have gone missing from unguarded Army weapons warehouses.”

Senator Barbara Boxer, of the Senate’s Commerce, Energy, and Transportation Committee said that “matching up a terrorist with a shoulder-fired missile, that’s our worst nightmare.

And now, thanks to Obama’s carelessness and his unnecessary decision to intervene in Libya, it may be our future reality.

ABC News describes the missing missiles as “four to six-feet long and Russian-made, [they] can weight just 55 pounds with launcher.” They are accurate within a range of more than two miles. That a terrorist could sit on a boat off JFK airport and shoot down a passenger plane as it ascends could now be a real possibility.

In the Iraq War, during the run-up to the 2004 election, there were reports of unguarded US military depots from which insurgents allegedly stole thousands of explosives. The story broke in the week before the election and Kerry took down all his other ads and focused on this issue, first reported in the New York Times. By Election Day, it was proven that the report was bogus, adding to Kerry’s woes. Now, faced with this massive blunder and security threat, we hear nothing but the sounds of silence from any of the mainstream media except, to its immense credit, ABC News.

We need to assign a top priority to hunting down these missiles. In Afghanistan, our troops jumped through hoops to corral all the Stinger Missiles left over from the Russian War. This potential leak of these dangerous weapons is vastly more threatening. Obama needs to face this issue squarely and publicly. And we all need to learn the cost we may pay from having elected a rank amateur as president.

[url]http://www.dickmorris.com/blog/obama%e2%80%99s-blunder-missing-libyan-surface-to-air-missiles/[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;4163601]I've got a heat seeking missile...IN MY PANTS!!![/QUOTE]

I heard it was low yield. :rimshot:

[QUOTE=bitonti;4163472]side note i like how it's ok for the USA to have terrible weapons but no one else can be trusted[/QUOTE]

I assume this is what you mean, and you support Iran on this policy, right? Fair & Equal is Fair & Equal, amirite?

[QUOTE]Iran planning to send ships near U.S. waters

(CNN) -- Iran plans to send ships near the Atlantic coast of the United States, state-run Islamic Republic News Agency reported Tuesday, quoting a commander.

"The Navy of the Iranian Army will have a powerful presence near the United States borders," read the headline of the story, in Farsi.

"Commander of the Navy of the Army of the Islamic Republic of Iran broke the news about the plans for the presence of this force in the Atlantic Ocean and said that the same way that the world arrogant power is present near our marine borders, we, with the help of our sailors who follow the concept of the supreme jurisprudence, shall also establish a powerful presence near the marine borders of the United States," the story said. The reference to the "world arrogant power" was presumably intended to refer to the United States.

IRNA cited the force's website as saying that the announcement was made by Adm. Habibollah Sayari on the 31st anniversary of the Iran-Iraq war.

State-run Press TV said Sayari had announced similar plans in July. In February, two Iranian Navy ships traversed the Suez Canal in the first such voyages by Iranian ships since 1979.

U.S. Defense Department officials had no immediate reaction to Tuesday's announcement. The United States has deployed fleets to the Persian Gulf in the past.

State-run Press TV, citing IRNA, said Tuesday's announcement came as Iran also plans to send its 16th fleet of warships to the Gulf of Aden to protect Iranian vessels and oil tankers from pirates, who have hijacked dozens of ships and exchanged their crews for ransom.

The Islamic Republic has repeatedly assured that its military might poses no threat to other countries, stating that Tehran's defense doctrine is based only on deterrence, Press TV reported in a story in July about the deployment of submarines to international waters.

cnn.com[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Warfish;4164136]I assume this is what you mean, and you support Iran on this policy, right? Fair & Equal is Fair & Equal, amirite?[/QUOTE]

as long as they aren't violating our waters it's not really a story. and like the article said we are in their neighborhood all the time. if they get stupid, I trust the US navy to wipe the floor with these guys.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4164172]as long as they aren't violating our waters it's not really a story. and like the article said we are in their neighborhood all the time. if they get stupid, I trust the US navy to wipe the floor with these guys.[/QUOTE]

I heard the plan was that we didn't want to show too strong a force but they felt confident that the Miami Beach lifegaurds could handle them.

[QUOTE=bitonti;4164172]as long as they aren't violating our waters it's not really a story. and like the article said we are in their neighborhood all the time. if they get stupid, I trust the US navy to wipe the floor with these guys.[/QUOTE]

I didn't read the snippet posted but an Admiral of ours or SOD or something along those lines said he maintains the right to free travel across the seas but the Iranians can expect to see company the closer they get... I got a chuckle out of it...

As far as the heat seekers, I'd lay that more on the feet of our intelligence departments than I would the President...

For those of you that didn't want to give him credit for finding Bin Laden, you should probably do the same...

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4164184]I didn't read the snippet posted but an Admiral of ours or SOD or something along those lines said he maintains the right to free travel across the seas but the Iranians can expect to see company the closer they get... I got a chuckle out of it...

As far as the heat seekers, I'd lay that more on the feet of our intelligence departments than I would the President...

For those of you that didn't want to give him credit for finding Bin Laden, you should probably do the same...[/QUOTE]

Not that I blame Obama directly any more than I give him direct credit for killing Osama I would hope that they at least thought about the potential for weapons leaking from the country before we attacked.

TLDR: You support it, as I said. Thanks for the confirm.:yes:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Frequent Flyer;4163787]Now Barack Obama has committed the ultimate sin: [B]He has let 20,000 surface-to-air missiles escape from military depots in Libya.[/B][/QUOTE]

This line of reasoning is ridiculous. How exactly did he let it happen, what exactly could have been done to prevent it? Unless you are advocating for full blown occupation, it's simply impossible to completely control what happens within an unstable, weaponized country in the middle of a revolution.

[QUOTE=parafly;4164204]This line of reasoning is ridiculous. How exactly did he let it happen, what exactly could have been done to prevent it?[/quote]

Given the situation of the Iraq Invastion (II), please answer your own question: If any WMD material was in Iraq, how could Bush have stopped it from being sneaked out through Syria or other routes?

[quote]Unless you are advocating for full blown occupation, it's simply impossible to completely control what happens within an unstable, weaponized country in the middle of a revolution.[/QUOTE]

As Bush proved, even with occupation (er, Nation Building?), it's still impossible to control what happens within an unstable, weaponized country in the middle of a [COLOR="Silver"]revolution[/COLOR] invasion/occupation.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    This was mentioned on the talk of the nation on Monday.

[URL="http://www.npr.org/2011/09/26/140812779/as-drones-evolve-more-countries-want-their-own"]www.npr.org[/URL]

[QUOTE]

CONAN: And that raises a question. We'll get to more calls in just a second. There have been all kinds of concerns over the past decades about terrorists getting their hands on shoulder-fired anti-aircraft missiles. Indeed, some have. And some attempts have been made. But David Sanger, these have never turned out to be the bugaboo that a lot of people thought.

SANGER: That's right. And there's a new concern about this because there were a lot of these in Libya. And some have gone missing, and people are not entirely sure who's in their hands. Fortunately in those cases, if they're old, they misfire a good deal of the time.

But it does raise the question, as any new technology would, do you want to build a clock into these things so that they are not useful later on.

CONAN: Expiration date.

SANGER: Expiration date, which is what you see happening in cyber in some cases, where offensive programs have an expiration date built in them.

[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4164218]Given the situation of the Iraq Invastion (II), please answer your own question: If any WMD material was in Iraq, how could Bush have stopped it from being sneaked out through Syria or other routes?[/QUOTE]

The short answer is he couldn't, but an invasion and occupation could minimize it to a certain extent. In this particular case, Iraq knew we were coming well in advance so the damage was most likely done before we even got there.