Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sushi in NYC... what is the best

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4165545]And variations in natural flavorings.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/402/sushiwoman.jpg/][IMG]http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7992/sushiwoman.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[/QUOTE]

Oh waiter, the seaweed tastes a little fishy.

_

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4165573]Oh waiter, the seaweed tastes a little fishy.

_[/QUOTE]

Myth (as long as the female is disease free and has a proper hygiene regimen). More [I]umami [/I]in nature.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4165639]Myth (as long as the female is disease free and has a proper hygiene regimen). More [I]umami [/I]in nature.[/QUOTE]

Of course my friend, was just the old joke.

LOVE me some fresh umami. :yes:

_

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4165648]Of course my friend, was just the old joke.

LOVE me some fresh umami. :yes:

_[/QUOTE]

Will you stop qualifying. :D I know you're joking. Just hoping to get some riff posts from the folks reading my stupidity. Although I really do think "it" has the savory quality from which the concept of umami was honed. As you know, JS, umami means "delicious taste".

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4165545]And variations in natural flavorings.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/sushiby.jpg/][IMG]http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/9710/sushiby.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/402/sushiwoman.jpg/][IMG]http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7992/sushiwoman.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/269/bodysushi.jpg/][IMG]http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/5209/bodysushi.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/QUOTE]

and it comes with the Happy Ending desert for the guy paying the bill!!!. Thinking we will do KOI as I was able to get a reservation there. Thanks for the imput!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FlagmanL11;4165668]and it comes with the Happy Ending desert for the guy paying the bill!!!. Thinking we will do KOI as I was able to get a reservation there. Thanks for the imput![/QUOTE]

Can't go wrong there, still one of the top handful of sushi places around. Think a little farther ahead next time and try Nobu though, it's one of those places you should go to at least once.

Funny, but I find a lot of 'top rated' restaurants in other cuisines overrated (for example, everyone's got an italian neighborhood-type place that they'd put up against the top-rated places) but the top/popular sushi places never disappoint.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=isired;4166353]Can't go wrong there, still one of the top handful of sushi places around. Think a little farther ahead next time and try Nobu though, it's one of those places you should go to at least once.

Funny, but I find a lot of 'top rated' restaurants in other cuisines overrated (for example, everyone's got an italian neighborhood-type place that they'd put up against the top-rated places) but the top/popular sushi places never disappoint.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Yes, def will have to try Nubu.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FlagmanL11;4166387]Yes, def will have to try Nubu.[/QUOTE]

If you are sushi afficionados and are looking for the best, most pure sushi around, go to Yasuda. But, it's best enjoyed going alone, or with one other person, and sitting at the bar and ordering from the sushi chef - ideally Yasuda.

The nobu, koi suggestions are very good, but keep in mind that they are not truly sushi places. I suspect that will be fine for your needs as they serve sushi, but you would be wise to make sushi just a part of your meal at those places as they are much more than just sushi.

In that vein, morimoto is also a good option. For strictly sushi, also consider seki on 1st ave.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4166398]If you are sushi afficionados and are looking for the best, most pure sushi around, go to Yasuda. But, it's best enjoyed going alone, or with one other person, and sitting at the bar and ordering from the sushi chef - ideally Yasuda.

The nobu, koi suggestions are very good, but keep in mind that they are not truly sushi places. I suspect that will be fine for your needs as they serve sushi, but you would be wise to make sushi just a part of your meal at those places as they are much more than just sushi.

In that vein, [B]morimoto[/B] is also a good option. For strictly sushi, also consider seki on 1st ave.[/QUOTE]

Is he ever there in person?

Would love to meet the guy.

I've never understood how any challenger on Iron Chef America picks to battle against him.

I've never seen him lose.

_

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Forgot to post that the other couple we went with decided to change the venue, ignoring all my suggestions and we ended up at a place called Sushi Gari 46. It totally sucked for the $$$ and left there hungary after a $700 bill. Don't believe any of the review for this place. The portions sucked and it was not even close to what was written. We had the "chefs choice" servings ($120 per person) and I got the sashimi portion, which was a joke in itself as it was not all sashimi, which should have been raw fish, not pate'(sp), which was half of the servings....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FlagmanL11;4178943]Forgot to post that the other couple we went with decided to change the venue, ignoring all my suggestions and we ended up at a place called Sushi Gari 46. It totally sucked for the $$$ and left there hungary after a $700 bill. Don't believe any of the review for this place. The portions sucked and it was not even close to what was written. We had the "chefs choice" servings ($120 per person) and I got the sashimi portion, which was a joke in itself as it was not all sashimi, which should have been raw fish, not pate'(sp), which was half of the servings....[/QUOTE]

Incredible.

That's what we're here for.

And folks here ignore medical advice too.

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FlagmanL11;4178943]Forgot to post that the other couple we went with decided to change the venue, ignoring all my suggestions and we ended up at a place called Sushi Gari 46. It totally sucked for the $$$ and left there hungary after a $700 bill. Don't believe any of the review for this place. The portions sucked and it was not even close to what was written. We had the "chefs choice" servings ($120 per person) and I got the sashimi portion, which was a joke in itself as it was not all sashimi, which should have been raw fish, not pate'(sp), which was half of the servings....[/QUOTE]

I think gari may hav spread himself too thin. I was at the original years ago and it was top notch. I haven't heard great things about the other outposts.

That being said, you arent signing on for big portions when you go omakase at a high end sushi restaurant. If you want the tuna spilling well over the sides of rice, stick to Yama and the like. If you want something rare or the Finest otoro, go to the really high end places like Yasuda. Gari does have a good rep though - just depends what you are looking for.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4166424]Is he ever there in person?

Would love to meet the guy.

I've never understood how any challenger on Iron Chef America picks to battle against him.

I've never seen him lose.

_[/QUOTE]

I thought I answered this last time, but I must have half written a post (which is where half my thoughts end up).....been there twice, once he was there, once he wasn't.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sushi Sen-nin on East 33rd is very good. Moved a few years ago from East 34th.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4179713]I think gari may hav spread himself too thin. I was at the original years ago and it was top notch. I haven't heard great things about the other outposts.

That being said, you arent signing on for big portions when you go omakase at a high end sushi restaurant. If you want the tuna spilling well over the sides of rice, stick to Yama and the like. If you want something rare or the Finest otoro, go to the really high end places like Yasuda. Gari does have a good rep though - just depends what you are looking for.[/QUOTE]

Thin was def on my plate!! and I am still PO'd about the venue change. Two losses later does not help!!!