Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It is time for public schools to begin the conversion to electronic books

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar

It is time for public schools to begin the conversion to electronic books

[URL="http://www.amazon.com/ref=gno_logo"]http://www.amazon.com/[/URL]

The new kindle e reader from $79 is probably less expensive than buying the average student his or her yearly pile of textbooks.

All League
    This is a neato feature:

[QUOTE]
    X-Ray
    Amazon invented X-Ray, a new feature that lets customers explore the “bones of the book.” With a single tap, readers can see all the passages across a book that mention ideas, fictional characters, historical figures, places or topics that interest them, as well as more detailed descriptions from Wikipedia and Shelfari, Amazon’s community-powered encyclopedia for book lovers.

Amazon built X-Ray using its expertise in language processing and machine learning, access to significant storage and computing resources with Amazon S3 and EC2, and a deep library of book and character information. The vision is to have every important phrase in every book.
    [/QUOTE]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

this is a great point, particualy when I heard that my son is using a 4th edition of a psych textbook for an AP class, when the text is out in a 9th edition (not sure if teach exaggerated that)

I think you have a very good idea.

You need books in schools. Paperbacks, not electronics. I know this is the digital age, but we cannot allow books to become obsolete.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4165725]You need books in schools. Paperbacks, not electronics. I know this is the digital age, but we cannot allow books to become obsolete.[/QUOTE]

Why?

Jets Insider VIP
    My kids (4th and 7th grade public school) already use a system that lets them access the bulk of their text books over the internet. eReaders are really not the best format for text books due to size. Grades and homework assignments are also posted online.

I do love my eReader (nook) for regular reading and like the fact that I can use the app on my phone and it picks up on the page I left off on my nook. Pretty nice feature.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4165691]this is a great point, particualy when I heard that my son is using a 4th edition of a psych textbook for an AP class, when the text is out in a 9th edition (not sure if teach exaggerated that)

I think you have a very good idea.[/QUOTE]
    Knowing how most of the new editions are to add about 2 pages of content max and are soley done for revenue I would be happy if my school was using an old edition if it saved money and the books were in servicable shape.

[QUOTE=Buster;4165680][URL="http://www.amazon.com/ref=gno_logo"]http://www.amazon.com/[/URL]

The new kindle e reader from $79 is probably less expensive than buying the average student his or her yearly pile of textbooks.[/QUOTE]

Small point: The Reader does not come with E-Textbooks.

E-Textbooks would be cheaper (potentially), but still cost money.

The fiscal comparison is E-Readers + E-Books vs. Paper Books

With that said, I would support this idea strongly, with some minor caveats.

All League
    [QUOTE=Trades;4165764]My kids (4th and 7th grade public school) already use [B]a system that lets them access the bulk of their text books over the internet[/B]. eReaders are really not the best format for text books due to size. Grades and homework assignments are also posted online.

I do love my eReader (nook) for regular reading and like the fact that I can use the app on my phone and it picks up on the page I left off on my nook. Pretty nice feature.[/QUOTE]

Cool

I am thinking some new fangled standardized system that takes into account little kids and education.

Also if the Entire state of NY or even the entire country deicides to go this way the "economies of scale" could make this idea much-much less expensive and better than books.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Trades;4165767]Knowing how most of the new editions are to add about 2 pages of content max and are soley done for revenue I would be happy if my school was using an old edition if it saved money and the books were in servicable shape.[/QUOTE]
    to that point the teacher does in fact print out suppliments for the kids, hes seems pretty efficient in that respect however I wonder if all classes and schools get as enthusiastic and responsible a teacher. Textbooks cost a fortune, anyone with a kid in college will tell you that lol, this might be able to save some coin for school districts, who knows.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4165725]You need books in schools. Paperbacks, not electronics. I know this is the digital age, but we cannot allow books to become obsolete.[/QUOTE]

Why?

Do we need the abacus too?

Jets Insider VIP
    The bookbag industry is too powerful. Forget it.

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4165789]The bookbag industry is too powerful. Forget it.[/QUOTE]

The Jansport lobbyists are already chomping at the bit.

Seriously, though, I think this is a good idea. In my last year of grad school I bought all of textbooks in electronic format on my iPad. The reader app allows you to highlight, mark pages, take notes, print selections, whatever you want. It's really cool, I saved a ton of money, and I didn't have to lug around books.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Buster;4165689]This is a neato feature:[/QUOTE]

So now we're doing away with Cliffs Notes too?

:steamin:

;)

All League
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4165779]to that point the teacher does in fact [B]print out suppliments for the kids,[/B] hes seems pretty efficient in that respect however I wonder if all classes and schools get as enthusiastic and responsible a teacher. Textbooks cost a fortune, anyone with a kid in college will tell you that lol, this might be able to save some coin for school districts, who knows.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure you can read/save PDF and DOC documents on it, too.

in all seriousness the pricing of e-books etc on the academic level is not clear or stable.

when a school buys a paper book they own the book. when a school buys an e-book sometimes they are just subscribing to it. If the school budget changes do the science books stop working?

Right now they don't but in the future they could.

also how does a school make sure 500 kindles are charged at the same time? teacher my kindle is dead ok johnny sit in the corner until it's charged?

e books are great for people buying 10 dollar steven king books and reading them at their leisure but academia is going to be a tougher nut to crack.

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4165788]Why?

Do we need the abacus too?[/QUOTE]

Eye strain, and a higher rate of exposure to radiation.

You still have battery life to worry about, software bugs in the reader can cause it to freeze up. Damages from scratches, dropping them, hence having to buy a new one.

The models haven't been worked out yet, a lot of discrepancies.

My son's school district is going to 100% papyrus-based writing and reading materials in 2012.

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;4166013]My son's school district is going to 100% papyrus-based writing and reading materials in 2012.[/QUOTE]

That's a great luxury.

[QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4166055]That's a great luxury.[/QUOTE]

I like the idea, but the quills are ridiculously expensive and fracture, or break entirely, quite easily.