Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets WR Santonio Holmes hopes offense can adjust quicker against Ravens' 'D'

Jets WR Santonio Holmes hopes offense can adjust quicker against Ravens' 'D'

I'm starting to really like Santonio.

***************************************************************************************

Jets WR Santonio Holmes hopes offense can adjust quicker against Ravens' 'D'
    Published: Thursday, September 29, 2011, 4:13 PM Updated: Thursday, September 29, 2011, 5:07 PM
    By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger
    Follow

After the Raiders game last Sunday, Santonio Holmes said the Jets needed to to a better job of adjusting to changes they see from defenses.
    Seeming to implicate offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, Holmes said that he felt the offense continued to run a stale gameplan even after Oakland's defense had clearly shifted.

This week against the Ravens, Holmes said he's unsure if things will get better.

"We'll see come Sunday if the Ravens switch up their gameplan from doing something different to what they feel can work against us," Holmes said. "And we'll know come Sunday if the adjustments have been made for us to react to what they're doing."

Part of that, Holmes thinks, may be working to get him the ball more. Last week against Oakland he had one catch for 19 yards.

"It's going to be in the gameplan. Hopefully Sanchez and (Schottenheimer) realize, putting the ball in my hands, I can make a big difference," Holmes said. "And I'm pretty sure the defense is going to be more afraid if I do touch the ball more than two times and they're going to be satisfied if I don't at all.
    "It's a profession, it's a profession. Watching the film and seeing the things that weren't done right during the gameplan last week, we'll find a way to get them corrected this week."

Holmes doesn't expect a lot of man defense, either. A look that was expected to help bring the passing game along against the Raiders last week before Oakland put up multiple coverages.

"I honestly don't think they're going to want to play man against us," he said. "I think they're going to come out with a bunch of different coverages like they did when I played in Pittsburgh. It's going to be blitzing, zones, man-to-man, cover 2."
    Jets middle linebacker David Harris was asked about the Jets being ranked 31st in run defense this year:
    "We gave up 230 yards, what do you expect?" he said. "It's still early in the season, we still have a long way to go and we have some time to get it corrected."

[QUOTE=escamoter2;4166006]I'm starting to really like Santonio.
    [/QUOTE]

hey, man, thanks a lot dude:thumbup:

Agreed we need to get Santonio the ball much more often! Cmon Sh*tty Schotty get your _________blank out of your______and get him the darn ball! and Plax for that matter! At least target them more. Your play calling is elemental!

All Pro
    Read between the lines. Tone is throwing little subliminal shots at the Schott.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=IRONFAN 40;4166018]Read between the lines. Tone is throwing little subliminal shots at the Schott.[/QUOTE]

subliminal? far from it.

and i'm glad he's speaking out. too bad schotty is doubtful to get the message.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Get open Tone, didnt look like you did last week...

[QUOTE=shuler82;4166028]subliminal? far from it.

and i'm glad he's speaking out. too bad schotty is doubtful to get the message.[/QUOTE]

Going to be a mutiny soon...you watch. There was NOTHING subliminal about Holmes' message; he wants to win another SB, KNOWS what it takes, and KNOWS that Shottenheimer is a huge albatross around the Jets neck.

The guy's Offense got SHUT-OUT for a 1/4 of a SEASON with All-Pros and high 1's at virtually EVERY position...who in their right mind thinks this nepotism/idiot has what it takes to play chess against Baltimore and Belichick over the next 2 weeks when some adversity has hit his unit via injury....personally I think it gets much uglier...like in ZERO TD's over the next 2 weeks...even with everyone laughing at NE's D.

Ryan is going to forced to make a move and kick the clown to curb...and if he doesn't he can go too, as far as I'm concerned.

This is NOT good teammate Holmes going after Schotty because he doesn't like the "Game Plan"

This is SELFISH Holmes being upset that he's not getting the ball enough!

Please don't let selfishness be confused with a true concern with the OC!!!

[QUOTE=fidelioion;4166040]This is NOT good teammate Holmes going after Schotty because he doesn't like the "Game Plan"

Please don't let selfishness be confused with a true concern with the OC!!![/QUOTE]

NONE of the WRs are getting the ball enough so I don't see how this is all about him only. Same problem as previous years.

[QUOTE=fidelioion;4166040]This is NOT good teammate Holmes going after Schotty because he doesn't like the "Game Plan"

Please don't let selfishness be confused with a true concern with the OC!!![/QUOTE]

Stop trying to inject logic into the Schotty hate parade. It's unwelcome here. The Jets could be a top 5 scoring offense, give up 40 points losing a game and they'd be on here blaming Schotty for everything.

I think he needs to say something. It's not like Shottys game plans are sound and he's just not being targeted. If the ppl at home can tell what ****ty is going to run you think D WE'RE PLAYING DOESN'T??? I give shotty credit to some degree but enough is enough already.

Please don't let selfishness be confused with a true concern with the OC!!![/QUOTE]\

Why is that selfish when he's trying to save the team and it's fans another Super Bowl-less season? That is the OPPOSITE of selfish.

Holmes knows what it takes, knows the personnel and quality of coaching it takes to get that ring, knows Shottenheimer doesn't measure up, that's WHY he's speaking up. Maybe Shottenheimer can be an assistant coach for Rich Kotite (what is he coaching HS on Staten Island or something now?) when he's fired. Can't make adjustments, can't feel the flow of the game, still sending ALL his WR's into patterns 3 feet from each other (6 years later...6 years...sigh.. Jesus haha)...I think High School might be too much for him to tell the truth.

The sooner Shottenheimer is fired the better.

Tell the truth. You could actually visualize this guy and his play sheet on the sideline of a Super Bowl? If you can, that's great....but I just can't.

[QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4166046]Stop trying to inject logic into the Schotty hate parade. It's unwelcome here. The Jets could be a top 5 scoring offense, give up 40 points losing a game and they'd be on here blaming Schotty for everything.[/QUOTE]

Then how do you explain his Offense being SHUT-OUT for a 1/4 of the 2010 season? With NO injuries mind you.

Many of the games they weren't shut out, it took Sanchez making numerous last second comebacks against INFERIOR opponents to pull games out, where they had been SHUT-OUT in entire First Halfs.

When the hell does the Jet Offense look like it is run smoothly? I'm talking about this guys entire tenure.

How can you still defend this guy?

Out of 32 teams...I'd think 30 OC's would make that unit run from slightly better all the way to Great...this guy is totally, totally OVERMATCHED...MENTALLY...it will be on display over the next 2 weeks, Sunday night in front of the entire Nation.

Have they ever?

Sh!TTY is too smart for that. :eek:

Rookie
    I have no issues with anything Holmes said. He doesn't sound selfish nor is he throwing anyone under the bus. Tone knows what it takes to win, and hes completely right about him being our best playmaker, he needs the ball for our O to be successful and I'm glad he wants it.

[QUOTE=JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF;4166059]Then how do you explain his Offense being SHUT-OUT for a 1/4 of the 2010 season? With NO injuries mind you.

Many of the games they weren't shut out, it took Sanchez making numerous last second comebacks against INFERIOR opponents to pull games out, where they had been SHUT-OUT in entire First Halfs.

When the hell does the Jet Offense look like it is run smoothly? I'm talking about this guys entire tenure.

How can you still defend this guy?

Out of 32 teams...I'd think 30 OC's would make that unit run from slightly better all the way to Great...this guy is totally, totally OVERMATCHED...MENTALLY...it will be on display over the next 2 weeks, Sunday night in front of the entire Nation.[/QUOTE]

Forget about 2010. This is 2011. Our offense has put up 27, 32, and 24 in the first 3 weeks while missing our all-pro center for half of that time and also getting below average play from our RT pretty much the entire time.

Their are only 8 teams who have scored more points than the Jets so far and 23 who have scored fewer points.

If you at least waited for the offense to have a terrible game before ripping Schotty it would have much more merit. Instead you all sound like crazed lunatics on a witch hunt.

I defend Schotty when people attack him for ridiculous things. I spend way too much defending a guy I don't even like because people on here are making what I consider stupid arguments against him.

Holmes said what he did because he wants the ball more. Competitive receivers do this quite often. I'm 100% sure it wasn't the plan to not throw to Holmes.

Veteran
    Scharty has been called out before by Tone, Braylon, and even other teams' defenses. Unfortunately, until Mark Sanchez feels he has enough "weight" with the organization to speak up we are stuck with the guy. Mark and Rex are too loyal for now. Soon, very soon. Once Mark calls him out, he's history.

[QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4166076]Forget about 2010. This is 2011. Our offense has put up 27, 32, and 24 in the first 3 weeks while missing our all-pro center for half of that time and also getting below average play from our RT pretty much the entire time.

Their are only 8 teams who have scored more points than the Jets so far and 23 who have scored fewer points.

If you at least waited for the offense to have a terrible game before ripping Schotty it would have much more merit. Instead you all sound like crazed lunatics on a witch hunt.

I defend Schotty when people attack him for ridiculous things. I spend way too much defending a guy I don't even like because people on here are making what I consider stupid arguments against him.

Holmes said what he did because he wants the ball more. Competitive receivers do this quite often. I'm 100% sure it wasn't the plan to not throw to Holmes.[/QUOTE]

The offense scored 20 points against the Cowboys, not 27, and 3 of them came on a drive where the offense gained zero yards.

The offense scored 30 points against the Jags, not 32, and 7 of them came after a 1 yard drive after Cromartie's INT return.

All the points last week were scored by the offense, and without aid from the defense and special teams.

If you don't count the TD scored after the Cromartie pick-6 was overturned, or any other non-offensive TDs around the league, we're 12th in scoring as an offense.

[QUOTE=JB1089;4166132]The offense scored 20 points against the Cowboys, not 27, and 3 of them came on a drive where the offense gained zero yards.

The offense scored 30 points against the Jags, not 32, and 7 of them came after a 1 yard drive after Cromartie's INT return.

All the points last week were scored by the offense, and without aid from the defense and special teams.

If you don't count the TD scored after the Cromartie pick-6 was overturned, or any other non-offensive TDs around the league, we're 12th in scoring as an offense.[/QUOTE]
    You will need to do the same analysis for every game to get the actual ranking if you want to do that. It's not fair to take points away from the Jets but keep every other teams points scored or setup by defense or special teams.

You did just remind me though, that 7 points were special teams points against the Cowboys.

[QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4166076]Forget about 2010. This is 2011. Our offense has put up 27, 32, and 24 in the first 3 weeks while missing our all-pro center for half of that time and also getting below average play from our RT pretty much the entire time.

Holmes said what he did because he wants the ball more. Competitive receivers do this quite often. I'm 100% sure it wasn't the plan to not throw to Holmes.[/QUOTE]

Honestly I'd agree with you most of the time, but not so sure about it now.

I've also defended Schotty (while not a big fan either) against some of the ridiculous attacks, but I don't think Holmes is being selfish here. It's not like he's saying this after Burress went off for 8 and 150, or after Keller tore apart a defense in the seams.

He saw the same offense we saw on Sunday - the one that looked good up until 17-7 and then was dormant until the final stretch. If the team truly wasn't adjusting, then that's a clear knock on the OC. And this time it's coming from someone who, unlike some of the experts on this board, actually knows what plays are coming in and what the progressions should be.

I expected the Raiders to be tough to stop on offense, but the Jets should have been able to move the ball effectively against that defense.