Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets WR Santonio Holmes hopes offense can adjust quicker against Ravens' 'D'

All Pro
    [QUOTE=JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF;4166038]Going to be a mutiny soon...you watch. There was NOTHING subliminal about Holmes' message; he wants to win another SB, KNOWS what it takes, and KNOWS that Shottenheimer is a huge albatross around the Jets neck.

Ryan is going to forced to make a move and kick the clown to curb...and if he doesn't he can go too, as far as I'm concerned.[/QUOTE]

CAN'T WAIT!

[QUOTE=GreenWave;4166140]Honestly I'd agree with you most of the time, but not so sure about it now.

I've also defended Schotty (while not a big fan either) against some of the ridiculous attacks, but I don't think Holmes is being selfish here. It's not like he's saying this after Burress went off for 8 and 150, or after Keller tore apart a defense in the seams.

He saw the same offense we saw on Sunday - the one that looked good up until 17-7 and then was dormant until the final stretch. If the team truly wasn't adjusting, then that's a clear knock on the OC. And this time it's coming from someone who, unlike some of the experts on this board, actually knows what plays are coming in and what the progressions should be.

I expected the Raiders to be tough to stop on offense, but the Jets should have been able to move the ball effectively against that defense.[/QUOTE]
    I mean, are we supposed to score on every drive or the OC sucks? There are going to be stretches where we don't score in games. The Raiders d-line was playing in our backfield for a large part of that game. I was surprised we scored as much as we did considering how dominant the Raiders d-line looked.

[QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4166191]I mean, are we supposed to score on every drive or the OC sucks? There are going to be stretches where we don't score in games. The Raiders d-line was playing in our backfield for a large part of that game. I was surprised we scored as much as we did considering how dominant the Raiders d-line looked.[/QUOTE]

Of course not. But my post was more about the thought that Santonio wasn't being a selfish, me-first WR with his comments. Until the final two drives, the top 3 targets on the team were invisible and hadn't combined for 100 yards receiving.

I just don't think his comments can be as easily dismissed when you consider how little the offense did between the 2nd quarter and the final two drives.

Jets Insider VIP
    I think both sides are right.

Holmes is talking out for selfish reasons because he wants the ball more.

But he's right in calling out the lack of adjustments.

What is striking is that Holmes is calling out Schitty BEFORE the game. He called out Schitty after the Raider game and now is doing it again before the Raven game. You rarely see that from a player.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4166191]I mean, are we supposed to score on every drive or the OC sucks? There are going to be stretches where we don't score in games. The Raiders d-line was playing in our backfield for a large part of that game. I was surprised we scored as much as we did considering how dominant the Raiders d-line looked.[/QUOTE]

Schitty is not the cause of all problems, but he's been here SIX YEARS and the negative tendencies are still here.

1. Schitty designs nice plays overall, but his play selection is questionable.

2. His feel for the game is also questionable.

3. His willingness/ability to adjust is questionable.

Quite honestly, I don't know if it can reasonably be argued that these 3 points aren't accurate.

The Raiders game is just a microcosm. It's not that they don't score for a stretch that is the issue, it's, for instance, insisting on inside runs when there is trouble blocking, especially with Baxter there. Putting in the Wildcat when Sanchez is in a rhythm. Failing to call plays to attack the Raiders zone.

All League
    [QUOTE=GreenWave;4166221]Of course not. But my post was more about the thought that Santonio wasn't being a selfish, me-first WR with his comments. Until the final two drives, the top 3 targets on the team were invisible and hadn't combined for 100 yards receiving.

I just don't think his comments can be as easily dismissed when you consider how little the offense did between the 2nd quarter and [B]the final two drives.[/B][/QUOTE]sanchez, throughout his young career has played by far his best when we have to score & IMO, that's very damning to schotty's game planning/in game adjustments skills.. no more no less..

All Pro
    Maybe Holmes being a captain is saying what others around the locker room are feeling?He added that he wants the ball but could there be some rumblings in the locker room about Schotty?

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

[QUOTE=IRONFAN 40;4166233]Maybe Holmes being a captain is saying what others around the locker room are feeling?He added that he wants the ball but could there be some rumblings in the locker room about Schotty?[/QUOTE]

Could be, but I wouldnt read too much into the writers spin on a few presser quotes from #10. When rebounding from a loss its not unusual for everyone to be hard on themselves and others that they work with. You have a few guys on the roster with SB rings so it only stands to reason that there advice is more pertinent than others. I appreciate Santonio being a team leader and agree that "baby steps" time is over, let #6 throw the ball.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4166035]Get open Tone, didnt look like you did last week...[/QUOTE]

This. Without a #1 reciever opposite him, Tone is nothing special.

[QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4166076]Forget about 2010. This is 2011. Our offense has put up 27, 32, and 24 in the first 3 weeks while missing our all-pro center for half of that time and also getting below average play from our RT pretty much the entire time.

Their are only 8 teams who have scored more points than the Jets so far and 23 who have scored fewer points.

If you at least waited for the offense to have a terrible game before ripping Schotty it would have much more merit. Instead you all sound like crazed lunatics on a witch hunt.

I defend Schotty when people attack him for ridiculous things. I spend way too much defending a guy I don't even like because people on here are making what I consider stupid arguments against him.

Holmes said what he did because he wants the ball more. Competitive receivers do this quite often. I'm 100% sure it wasn't the plan to not throw to Holmes.[/QUOTE]
    This is a reasonable post and I largely agree with you. Execution by the players has to improve. However Shcotty has to be be more fluid in making adjustments during games and responding to what the D is presenting. He's still a bit too locked in for my liking

[QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4166135]You will need to do the same analysis for every game to get the actual ranking if you want to do that. It's not fair to take points away from the Jets but keep every other teams points scored or setup by defense or special teams.

You did just remind me though, that 7 points were special teams points against the Cowboys.[/QUOTE]

That's what I did. You can go on pro-football-reference to see a breakdown of all the TDs scored by each team this year, then you add in the FGs.

If you want to keep the post-Cromartie not-quite-pick-six, we're 11th in scoring.

[QUOTE=fidelioion;4166040]This is NOT good teammate Holmes going after Schotty because he doesn't like the "Game Plan"

This is SELFISH Holmes being upset that he's not getting the ball enough!

Please don't let selfishness be confused with a true concern with the OC!!![/QUOTE]

I dont give a shat. Someone has to get the ball besides the 2 yard gains from the dump offs on 2 and 9's.
    We have said it for years with Paul Hackett and now with Schotty....the gameplan sucks. The playcalls suck. Ill-timed gimmick plays and motion plays that never work. I know I know its execution...but i watch other teams playcalls and sometimes im in awe. Look at Buffalo and their playcalls...you tell me that Bills nobody WR's out execute the Jets WR's ? Is that possible?

[QUOTE=JB1089;4166304]That's what I did. You can go on pro-football-reference to see a breakdown of all the TDs scored by each team this year, then you add in the FGs.

If you want to keep the post-Cromartie not-quite-pick-six, we're 11th in scoring.[/QUOTE]

OK - fair enough, you make a good point. That still means there are 21 teams doing worse than the Jets offense so far. My point is that it's really not the time to **** on the offense. The only game we lost was because the defense got **** on.

Banned
    Santonio doesn't know football.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

[QUOTE=Captain Howdy;4166517]Santonio doesn't know football.[/QUOTE]

His Superbowl ring from the Pittsburgh Steelers begs to differ with you.

[IMG]http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1264882626271&id=669e183b083d08c47be10ba0790dfc45[/IMG]

:zzz:

Banned
    [QUOTE=Limolady;4166571]His Superbowl ring from the Pittsburgh Steelers begs to differ with you.

[IMG]http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1264882626271&id=669e183b083d08c47be10ba0790dfc45[/IMG]

:zzz:[/QUOTE]

Learn the definition of sarcasm, then come back and talk to me.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

[QUOTE=Captain Howdy;4166574]Learn the definition of sarcasm, then come back and talk to me.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0806/sarcasm-demotivational-poster-1213733423.jpg[/IMG]

Better? And I'm glad you like Santonio Holmes. And Twister Sister?

Banned
    [QUOTE=Limolady;4166649][IMG]http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0806/sarcasm-demotivational-poster-1213733423.jpg[/IMG]

Better? And I'm glad you like Santonio Holmes. [B]And Twister Sister?[/B][/QUOTE]

:confused:

Never seen the Exorcist?

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

[QUOTE=Captain Howdy;4166656]:confused: Never seen the Exorcist?[/QUOTE]

I'm not really into scary movies, but if you like that then you may like this (turn up your speakers):

[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kizezq9AG-U[/URL]

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

My bad guys & gals, sorry for hijacking the thread.

Back on topic, I'm in total agreement that there needs to be instant game time adjustments made in order for the offense to succeed in scoring. The whole "baby steps" concept was great for coaching up the starting QB, but I think he's ready and apparently so does his WR's. I also don't think #10 made any outrageous statements here or threw his OC under the bus, I just think he wants to make plays that puts points on the board.

I say let him.

;)