Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pettine: Effort versus Raiders well below our standards

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Pettine: Effort versus Raiders well below our standards

[B] [SIZE=2]Pettine: Effort versus Raiders well below our standards [/SIZE][/B]

Updated: Sep 29, 2011 06:43 PM
    By Roderick Boone

As one might imagine, Mike Pettine wasn't the least bit pleased with the way his unit performed in Sunday's 34-24 meltdown in Oakland.

"That was well below our standards," the defensive coordinator said today.

"I know Rex [Ryan] has already touched on that. Sometimes you can handle some technique mistakes, sometimes guys are just going against somebody thatís better and coming up short. But when itís a mental error or whether itís a guy just being lackadaisical or itís an effort thing, those are the things that we consider unacceptable.

"We have our standards of play, and when we donít play up to them, to an effort standpoint, thatís the most troubling and that was certainly something that we talked about on Monday when we watched the tape."

Darren McFadden ran wild, racking up 171 of Oaklandís 234 yards rushing yards and scoring a pair of touchdowns, including that 70-yarder that made the Jets look really silly and has been on an endless replay loop all week.

The Jets also surrendered five first downs by penalty, this of course despite the Raiders going 0-for-8 on third-down conversions.

"It was one where there were some plays when guys weren't going to the ball like our trademark is," Pettine said. "We tell our guys, just because you have the decal on, thereís nothing magical about it. Itís how we practice and the mentality we take. And the disappointing thing is for all the time we put in this. We only get a set number of opportunities to go out there and compete.

"So much time, so much prep is put into one game," he added, "and to waste a game defensively like that and not play to our standards is obviously disappointing."

Pettine seemed frustrated because he thought the Jets had a good week of practice and preparation leading up to the game.

"Puzzling is another word that comes to mind," he said. "Itís every once in a while that happens. I compared it to the Miami game from two years ago.

When again, we had a great week of practice, went down there and just laid an egg defensively, just made no impact plays in the game. And you look at this one, it was very similar.

"We had no interceptions, we didnít cause any fumbles. The only sack we had was when the quarterback tripped and fell and we touched him. So as far as impact plays, we didnít make any. And again, that goes against our M.O."

Bart Scott offered his unique perspective on why the Jets defense went belly up.

"I just think guys were lethargic," the linebacker said. "We usually have a good system and we usually feel good about how we travel to the West Coast. But I think collectively as a group, it was just one of those weird days. You didnít know what time to eat, what was the best time to eat.

Generally, when you play and itís a 1 oíclock game, you pop up, you eat, you use the fuel for that game.

"Sometimes when you play at 4 oíclock, itís a little bit more difficult because you eat too early, you are not hungry to eat the carb load and do what you need to do to get ready for a game. Sometimes thatís the weirdness of night games and thatís the weirdness of afternoon games. But with that being said, weíve all done it before and we all prepared that way.

"But it was one of those things, traveling to the West Coast. We all did what we wanted to do as far as hydrating and getting rest and staying on the same schedule, but I think collectively everybody kind of felt weird."

[URL]http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo;JSESSIONID=A4239135C44B8678FBC2.3141?site=newsday&view=jets_item&feed%3Aa=newsday_5min&feed%3Ac=jets&feed%3Ai=1.3211615&nopaging=1[/URL]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine cites poor effort, 'lackadaisical' play

Among the adjectives [URL="http://www.nj.com/jets/"]Jets[/URL] defensive coordinator Mike Pettine used to describe his unit's effort in the loss to the Oakland Raiders: Disgusted. Frustrated. Puzzling.

Everyone knows the stats by now, that the Jets yielded a whopping 234 rushing yards in [URL="http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/09/in_34-24_loss_to_raiders_jets.html"]the 34-24 loss. [/URL]Several reasons have been given, such as not containing the edge and alignment and assignment errors. But Pettine gave perhaps the most condemning one, questioning the players' lack of effort.

"Sometimes you can handle some technique mistakes, guys going against somebody that is better and coming up short," Pettine said. "But when it is a mental error, or when it is a guy that is being lackadaisical, it is an effort thing, those are the things that we consider unacceptable. We have our standards of play, and when we donít play up to them, from an effort standpoint, that is the most troubling. That's certainly something we talked about Monday when we watched the tape."

Pettine clarified he did not mean there was a lack of effort on every play, but rather in isolated incidents. Still, it amounted to a "lethargic" showing he compared to the Jets' 31-27 loss at Miami in 2009. Both times, he said, the Jets wasted a good week of preparation and failed to come up with any impact plays. The Jets had no interceptions against Oakland and their lone sack came when Jason Campbell tripped over himself.

"We tell our guys, just because you have the decal on, there's nothing magical about it," Pettine said. "It's how we practice and the mentality we take, and the disappointing thing is for all the time we put into this, we only get a set number of opportunities to go out there and compete. So much time, so much preparation is put into one game, and to waste a game defensively like that and not play to our standards is obviously disappointing."

Pettine did not put the performance solely on the players. He said no one, players or coaches, had a good day defensively, except perhaps cornerback Darrelle Revis.

Coach Rex Ryan cited the practice schedule, in which sessions in pads have been limited by the new collective bargaining agreement to about one per week. When Ryan was a defensive line coach, they went full speed in 9-on-7 drills on "nosebleed Thursdays," so game day didn't feel that intense. But with less padded practices, and starting defensive linemen Mike DeVito and Muhammad Wilkerson sometimes limited in practice with injuries, the Jets have had to adjust.

Linebacker Bart Scott also suggested players were lethargic because of the West-Coast time difference and eating schedules being thrown off. He oddly explained that players didn't know when to eat and mistimed their carb-loading.

"Collectively, everybody felt weird," Scott said.

That reasoning doesn't carry a lot of weight, and Scott even admitted those are circumstances under which the Jets have fared well before. What feels the weirdest is the team being ranked 31st in the league in run defense right now.

"Anybody that thinks weíre the 31st ranked defense as far as stopping the run, and they think there are 30 teams better than us at stopping the run, I would call you a little bit foolish," Scott said. "The week before we played them, we were fifth. Which are we, the fifth or 31st? It's up to us to prove which one we are."

This week, against the Baltimore Ravens, is their next chance. Pettine said there will be no changes to the starting line-up, but the Jets may cycle in depth players more frequently to keep their roster fresh.

"There is no better wake-up call than looking at the schedule," Pettine said.

"Baltimore week. ... We tell our guys, if you can't get ready for this one, then you're sitting in the wrong room."

[URL]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/09/jets_defensive_coordinator_mik_1.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed[/URL]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Going forward its not the defense that worries me, its our offense. The offense is wildly inconsistent and there is a lot of blame to go around. The QB is not consistent, the OL is not blocking well, Greene is simply not hitting the holes with aggression and Shotty is not adjusting well to what the opposition is doing.

I believe that on most weeks the defense and special teams will keep the Jets in the game but unless the above improves, the offense will turn this into a 7-9 kind of season.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The defense will get things together much quicker than the offense as we have no flow yet due to injured O-LINE and new WR's. But it better come quick.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jet-sec125;4166281]The defense will get things together much quicker than the offense as we have no flow yet due to injured O-LINE and new WR's. But it better come quick.[/QUOTE]

Didn't we have over 500 yards of offense last week?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4166106][B] [SIZE=2]Pettine: Effort versus Raiders well below our standards [/SIZE][/B]

Updated: Sep 29, 2011 06:43 PM
    By Roderick Boone

[SIZE="4"]
    Bart Scott[/SIZE] offered his unique perspective on why the Jets defense went belly up.

"I just think guys were [SIZE="4"]lethargic[/SIZE]," the linebacker said. "We usually have a good system and we usually feel good about how we travel to the West Coast. But I think collectively as a group, it was just one of those [SIZE="4"]weird[/SIZE] days. You didn’t know what time to eat, what was the best time to eat.

Generally, when you play and it’s a 1 o’clock game, you pop up, you eat, you [SIZE="4"]use the fuel[/SIZE] for that game.

"Sometimes when you play at 4 o’clock, it’s a little bit more difficult because you [SIZE="4"]eat too early[/SIZE], you are not hungry to eat the carb load and do what you need to do to get ready for a game. Sometimes that’s the [SIZE="4"]weirdness [/SIZE]of night games and that’s the weirdness of afternoon games. But with that being said, we’ve all done it before and we all prepared that way.

"But it was one of those things, traveling to the West Coast. We all did what we wanted to do as far as hydrating and getting rest and staying on the same schedule, but I think collectively everybody kind of felt [SIZE="4"]weird[/SIZE]."

[/QUOTE]

The Bart Scott "[I]Can't Get Comfortable![/I]" t-shirts are on the way.

I feel so lethargic when I type that, so weird.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4166299]Didn't we have over 500 yards of offense last week?[/QUOTE]

The running game has been non-existent and it was the most deceiving 500 yards you will ever see.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4166301]The Bart Scott "[I]Can't Get Comfortable![/I]" t-shirts are on the way.

I feel so lethargic when I type that, so weird.

SAR I[/QUOTE]
    LOL!:yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jet-sec125;4166303]The running game has been non-existent and it was the most deceiving 500 yards you will ever see.[/QUOTE]

Numbers don't lie. They never have and they never will. 500 yards is never deceiving. Ever.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bart Scott using the west coast as an excuse is pretty weak.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ROPE;4166313]Numbers don't lie. They never have and they never will. 500 yards is never deceiving. Ever.[/QUOTE]

It is deceiving, 17 points in 55 minutes is a stat that is not deceiving. The chargers for the last 19 games have racked up huge yardage and have not had success. If the yards calculated to points then it would not be deceiving.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jet-sec125;4166321]It is deceiving, 17 points in 55 minutes is a stat that is not deceiving. The chargers for the last 19 games have racked up huge yardage and have not had success. If the yards calculated to points then it would not be deceiving.[/QUOTE]

We agree. 17 points is NOT deceiving. It's not enough points.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Understatement of the century.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;4166320]Bart Scott using the west coast as an excuse is pretty weak.[/QUOTE]

I guess this is what they mean by "West Coast Offense..." :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    As long as it doesn't happen again, I'm willing to accept Bart's explanation.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did he really just blame this on "not knowing when to eat"?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;4166220]Going forward its not the defense that worries me, its our offense. The offense is wildly inconsistent and there is a lot of blame to go around. The QB is not consistent, the OL is not blocking well, Greene is simply not hitting the holes with aggression and Shotty is not adjusting well to what the opposition is doing.

I believe that on most weeks the defense and special teams will keep the Jets in the game but unless the above improves, the offense will turn this into a 7-9 kind of season.[/QUOTE]

... as a whole the offense is weakest of our 3 units by a good margin ... but that's been the case since rex got here ... after the D's performance last game this would not be the time i'm inclined to give them a pass though ...

l_j_r

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4166520]Did he really just blame this on "not knowing when to eat"?[/QUOTE]

... agree ... don't like to hear these type of excuses ...

... there is def some validity to east coast teams performing poorly on the west coast & even moreso when the situation is reversed ... that being said ... you guys played as poorly on D as i've seen since that 1st half in pitt ... man up bart & bust some f*cking skulls against your old team this week! ...

l_j_r

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds to me like Namath was on to something when he said they may have too high an opinion of themselves. The result is mailing in the effort on game day because they think that will get them by.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4166520]Did he really just blame this on "not knowing when to eat"?[/QUOTE]

And he's not some 21 yr old rookie that has never gone from the east coast to west coast to play a game..

He's a 10 yr vet that has done this 20+ times by now...

Lame excuse...As others have pointed out Namath's comments the other day shouldn't be dismissed as some old out of touch player.