Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maybin expects to be active vs. Baltimore

Maybin expects to be active vs. Baltimore

[quote]
    Aaron Maybin, signed by the Jets on Wednesday, said he expects to be active for this week's game against Baltimore, "barring any unforeseen circumstances."

"Nothing has been said definitively, but I've been practicing, I've been in the rotation," Maybin said. "[B][SIZE="3"]The plan was for me to come in and be ready to go for this game on Sunday.[/SIZE][/B]"

Maybin, a former first-round pick, spent the final weeks of training camp with the Jets after being cut by the Bills. He survived the first cut-down to 53 players but was let go when the team claimed players off waivers at the end of the preseason. The Jets kept in touch with the pass-rushing outside linebacker and told him they may bring him back if a spot opened up, which happened when back-up center Rob Turner (broken fibula) went on injured reserve this week.

Maybin said he has been practicing this week on defense and also on several special-teams units. These sessions are closed to the media except for the first 30 minutes. He is still catching up on the playbook but has focused on knowing what is in the game plan for Baltimore. He is anticipating a role based on what he has done on the practice field.

"Coming in for situations, not just pass-rush situations but specifically rush situations and situations where a guy of my attributes is needed to get on the edge and force some things from a pressure standpoint," said Maybin, who is from Baltimore. "And also on special teams, helping wherever they need me to come in and play."

The Jets already have a designated pass rusher, Jamaal Westerman, though coach Rex Ryan was lukewarm on Westerman's performance when asked this week. Ryan said "he hasn't been great, but he has done a decent job."

Ryan also said signing Maybin wasn't a reflection on Westerman. The third-year player out of Rutgers said he doesn't think his playing time will be affected, since the Jets use so many personnel packages.

"It is part of the business of the game," Westerman said of Maybin's signing. "All I can do is control myself and control what I do out there. When I get my opportunities to go out there, whenever it is, how few, how many, just go out there and be consistent and keep doing more and trying to play better and keep improving. That’s the only thing I can control."[/quote]

I find it very interesting that Maybin spoke of a plan of him coming in to play this week. That seems to lend itself to some speculation by a few on here that the plan was to bring him back all along. Some have even speculated that the Jets wanted him specifically for Baltimore with no game film for them. I wouldn't put it past Rex.

[url]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/09/jets_aaron_maybin_expects_to_b.html[/url]

Good, the kid is hungry, give him a shot, I'd rather him try and fail than watch westermen again.

[QUOTE=My.Favorite.Martin;4167120]I find it very interesting that Maybin spoke of a plan of him coming in to play this week. That seems to lend itself to some speculation by a few on here that the plan was to bring him back all along. Some have even speculated that the Jets wanted him specifically for Baltimore with no game film for them. I wouldn't put it past Rex.
    [URL]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/09/jets_aaron_maybin_expects_to_b.html[/URL][/QUOTE]

I think that's reaching..IMO it came down to two things..They realized Westerman isn't the DPR they thought and them being happy enough with Baxter to IR Turner leading to an open roster spot..

earlier in the week i said I didn't think Maybin would be active

im flip flopping this prediction based on 2 pieces of info that have come to light since then

1) he's from baltimore, rex loves to spotlight marginal guys in their hometown

2) the whole grandma or aunt dying angle. this isn't like she died 6 months ago it just happened

both of these factors lead Rex to give him real snaps.

[QUOTE=C Mart;4167141]I think that's reaching..IMO it came down to two things..They realized Westerman isn't the DPR they thought and them being happy enough with Baxter to IR Turner leading to an open roster spot..[/QUOTE]

You're probably right.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4167143]earlier in the week i said I didn't think Maybin would be active

im flip flopping this prediction based on 2 pieces of info that have come to light since then

2) the whole grandma or aunt dying angle. this isn't like she died 6 months ago it just happened

both of these factors lead Rex to give him real snaps.[/QUOTE]

That crow you're eating must be affecting your cognitive abilities.

Talk about lame reasons.

All League
    5 sacks, two of them strips returned for tds by aaron himself.

Not to look ahead, but I feel like Maybin could be useful against mobile QBs such as Mike Vick when we play him down the road. I have hope that he can make an impact and be an asset for this defense.

All League
    [QUOTE=ienjoythenyjets;4167172]Not to look ahead, but I feel like Maybin could be useful against mobile QBs such as Mike Vick when we play him down the road. I have hope that he can make an impact and be an asset for this defense.[/QUOTE]

Idk, I think vick is the kind of qb that maybin over shoots.

I like him against guys like brady who will hear footsteps and get rattled.

Put him in right away
    3 sacks
    :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4167154]That crow you're eating must be affecting your cognitive abilities.

Talk about lame reasons.[/QUOTE]

Seriously.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4167141]I think that's reaching..IMO it came down to two things..They realized Westerman isn't the DPR they thought and them being happy enough with Baxter to IR Turner leading to an open roster spot..[/QUOTE]

I find your response interesting and I agree with it. They carried TURNER for too long IMO. They should have put him on the IR immediately. Baxter must have gained their confidence that he can grow and be a useful backup. I am happy to see maybin get a chance as well as Baxter.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4167143]earlier in the week i said I didn't think Maybin would be active

both of these factors lead Rex to give him real snaps.[/QUOTE]

Come on bit, be a good Jets fan and hope the guy is succesful rather then look for ridiculous excuses why Rex brought Maybin back. Lets hope he turns out to be a great pickup for our team. You copped an attitude when he first came onboard and you still are displaying it. I think in your mind you are taking your feelings for Gholston out on Maybin thinking that if Maybin fails REX would give Gholston another chance! I'd rather we win a SUPER BOWL and I do not care what players are on the team just as long as we win it!

[QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;4167190]Come on bit, be a good Jets fan and hope the guy is succesful rather then look for ridiculous excuses why Rex brought Maybin back. Lets hope he turns out to be a great pickup for our team. You copped an attitude when he first came onboard and you still are displaying it. I think in your mind you are taking your feelings for Gholston out on Maybin thinking that if Maybin fails REX would give Gholston another chance! I'd rather we win a SUPER BOWL and I do not care what players are on the team just as long as we win it![/QUOTE]

Well he also told us all how Westerman was supposedly "beasting" in preseason, so he's probably a bit bitter about that too.

[QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;4167190] look for ridiculous excuses why Rex brought Maybin back. [/QUOTE]

im trying to work out whether or not he will be active. since it's still prior to the game I don't think it's outlandish to reexamine that prediction.

as the week moves on signs are he will be active but I dont expect production either way.

if he makes a sack or pressure I will gladly eat crow at that time.
    Last edited by bitonti; 09-30-2011 at 08:17 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4167214]im trying to work out whether or not he will be active. since it's still prior to the game I don't think it's outlandish to reexamine that prediction.

as the week moves on signs are he will be active but I dont expect production either way.

if he makes a sack or pressure I will gladly eat crow at that time.[/QUOTE]

No need to eat crow if he works out. How about just lending some support for the guy? If you are proven right, so be it! At least the guy will get shot to do his thing. If he works out all us Jets fans will be happy. but to say " I don't expect production either way" shows you are rooting against the guy for your own selfish reasons. That is truly disturbing coming from an alleged Jets fan.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    I think Maybin will be a productive player in this defense.

I am glad the Jets brought him back.

[QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;4167185]I find your response interesting and I agree with it. They carried TURNER for too long IMO. They should have put him on the IR immediately. Baxter must have gained their confidence that he can grow and be a useful backup. I am happy to see maybin get a chance as well as Baxter.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't mean I'm right :D..thanks

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;4167185]I find your response interesting and I agree with it. [B]They carried TURNER for too long IMO[/B]. They should have put him on the IR immediately. Baxter must have gained their confidence that he can grow and be a useful backup. I am happy to see maybin get a chance as well as Baxter.[/QUOTE]
    So you also know more than Rex? :D

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;4167287]No need to eat crow if he works out. How about just lending some support for the guy? If you are proven right, so be it! At least the guy will get shot to do his thing. If he works out all us Jets fans will be happy. but to say " I don't expect production either way" [B]shows you are rooting against the guy for your own selfish reasons[/B]. That is truly disturbing coming from an alleged Jets fan.[/QUOTE]
    Bingo! Also goes for that sec. 1 dude.