Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rainy Crummy Saturday Night--what you cooking or drinking?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4168203]Will look for this, beerfish. I really enjoy wine from Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. Why don't you put this in the Wine Thread, too?[/QUOTE]

I was in Australia last year nov/dec and stayed with my brother and sis-inlaw who were down there on a teachers exchange. The small town they were in was right in the middle of one of their main wine making regions. You couldn't swing a dead koala over your head without hitting a vineyard and small winery.

We went to Banrock station and went on a hike through their wet land area. Talk about bargains at some of the 'cellar door' wineries themselves.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4168198]I read in the Wine Thread that you and Big L like their sauvignon blanc. It's not brut, but if you like to mix St. Germain, cassis, or Chambord in your sparklers, you and the lady will enjoy it. Not sure how they are being allowed to call it "Champage", though. Usually, the French shut that down pretty quick.

Barefoot also makes something called a "Pinot Grigio Champagne" which sounds weird but enticing.[/QUOTE]

Ya, I thought you could only use the term "champagne" if it came from that region, and everything else was "sparkling wine".

Their Sav Blanc is really crisp and inexpensive. Better than their Pinot Grigio IMHO.

_

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4168137]So delicious. :yes:

[IMG]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk142/jstokes719/ShortRibs.jpg[/IMG]

_[/QUOTE]

[I]Sugo[/I] looks wonderful, JS. With respect, your dish includes one of my pet peeves: [I]Sugo[/I] on uncoated pasta.

I would like you to place some of your finished [I]sugo [/I] into an appropriately sized sauté pan , or skillet, for the number of portions you're preparing. Get it nice and hot, then put in your cooked tagliatelle (still al dente) and let simmer for a minute or two. This allows the pasta to absorb some of the [I]sugo's[/I] flavor and color. It will not look so pallid on the plate and you will have elevated your dish.

Also, I'm assuming you took the shot before adding a nice amount of [I]Parmigiano Reggiano[/I].

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4168222]Ya, I thought you could only use the term "champagne" if it came from that region, and everything else was "sparkling wine".

Their Sav Blanc is really crisp and inexpensive. Better than their Pinot Grigio IMHO.

_[/QUOTE]

I think it depends on who you talk to regarding 'champagne'. I think the purists feel that it should only be used for the region.

I made home made pear champagne/sparkling wine a few years back. I had very little hope that it would actually work and be good because the step to go from non sparkling to sparkling was so damn easy (just do not add stabalization chemicals and add 1/2 cup of ordinary refined sugar).

When it came time to open a bottle I thought for sure there would be little to no bubbling, boy was i wrong, popped and bubbled just like champagne, i was so damn happy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Meh. I need a pretty plate.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4168222]Ya, I thought you could only use the term "champagne" if it came from that region, and everything else was "sparkling wine".

_[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Beerfish;4168229][B]I think it depends on who you talk to regarding 'champagne'. I think the purists feel that it should only be used for the region.[/B]

I made home made pear champagne/sparkling wine a few years back. I had very little hope that it would actually work and be good because the step to go from non sparkling to sparkling was so damn easy (just do not add stabalization chemicals and add 1/2 cup of ordinary refined sugar).

When it came time to open a bottle I thought for sure there would be little to no bubbling, boy was i wrong, popped and bubbled just like champagne, i was so damn happy.[/QUOTE]

No, France has attempted to make use of the term outside of the Region of Champagene as a [I]French Appellation d'Origine Controlée[/I]. Sort of like a legal wine "copyright". Some countries don't recognize their authority and call it Champage anyway.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4168173]It's all in jest, you unfunny MF :D

I don't allow my GF to touch anything when I cook! Should is cooking challenged anyway, but she's always meddling around asking if she can chop something or do anything. About the only thing I'll allow her to do is stir the pot, maybe grate the parm reggiano.

And I make her clean up :yes:

_[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way. My wife attempts to help in the kitchen when I cook and it pisses me off. I always tell her to get the fukc out but she'll come meddling back.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4168137]So delicious. :yes:

Homemade Tagliatelle

[IMG]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk142/jstokes719/Fresh_Tag.jpg[/IMG]

And the Braised Short Ribs

[IMG]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk142/jstokes719/ShortRibs.jpg[/IMG]

_[/QUOTE]

that looks pretty damned tasty :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4168228][I]Sugo[/I] looks wonderful, JS. With respect, your dish includes one of my pet peeves: [I]Sugo[/I] on uncoated pasta.

I would like you to place some of your finished [I]sugo [/I] into an appropriately sized sauté pan , or skillet, for the number of portions you're preparing. Get it nice and hot, then put in your cooked tagliatelle (still al dente) and let simmer for a minute or two. This allows the pasta to absorb some of the [I]sugo's[/I] flavor and color. It will not look so pallid on the plate and you will have elevated your dish.

Also, I'm assuming you took the shot before adding a nice amount of [I]Parmigiano Reggiano[/I].[/QUOTE]

Of course, my friend, I never serve my pasta uncoated. My buddy dumped the pasta onto the serving bowl, so I just put the sugo over it. A faux pas this one time.

And the parm reggiano I shaved over the individual bowls not family style, because my friends wife like Pecorino Romano on meat sauces.

_

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    gotta like a woman that enjoys meat sauce.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crossfire;4168602]gotta like a woman that enjoys meat sauce.[/QUOTE]

Is sidetown taking notes?

_

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4168772]Is sidetown taking notes?

_[/QUOTE]

Don't get me started. You'll regret it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southside;4168791]Don't get me started. You'll regret it.[/QUOTE]

Me, the GF and the younger sopne just finished the Burning Anus Wings.

Sticking my hand down my pants and drinking Oktoberfest, awaiting Jets football.

For this little slice of time, life is good.

_

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4168809]Me, the GF and the younger sopne just finished the Burning Anus Wings.

Sticking my hand down my pants and drinking Oktoberfest, awaiting Jets football.

For this little slice of time, life is good.

_[/QUOTE]

Pics or you know what! :D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southside;4168814]Pics or you know what! :D[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk142/jstokes719/Oktoberfest.jpg[/IMG]

_

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4168848][IMG]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk142/jstokes719/Oktoberfest.jpg[/IMG]

_[/QUOTE]

I think he wanted to see you put your hands down your pants :dunno:

He's weird.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4168907]I think he wanted to see you put your hands down your pants :dunno:

He's weird.[/QUOTE]

Lol, I wanted GF pics you homo!

Well played Stokes. Well played.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southside;4169714]Lol, I wanted GF pics you homo!

Well played Stokes. Well played.[/QUOTE]

;)