Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama: Commander in chief must support gay troops

Obama: Commander in chief must support gay troops

[URL="http://news.yahoo.com/obama-commander-chief-must-support-gay-troops-003517951.html"]http://news.yahoo.com/obama-commander-chief-must-support-gay-troops-003517951.html[/URL]

WASHINGTON (AP) In a sharp rebuke of his Republican rivals, President Barack Obama said anyone who wants to be commander in chief must support the entire U.S. military, including gay service members.
    A combative Obama criticized GOP presidential candidates for staying silent when the crowd at a recent debate booed a gay soldier who asked a question of the contenders via videotape.
    "You want to be commander in chief? You can start by standing up for the men and women who wear the uniform of the United States, even when it's not politically convenient," Obama said during remarks at the annual dinner of the Human Rights Campaign, the nation's largest gay rights organization.
    Referencing the boos at the Sept. 22 Republican debate, he said: "We don't believe in standing silent when that happens."
    Obama touted his administration's efforts to repeal the military's ban on openly gay service members, as well as his orders to the Justice Department to stop enforcing a law defining marriage as between one man and one woman.
    But, as expected, Obama stopped short of endorsing gay marriage, saying only that "every single American deserves to be treated equally in the eyes of the law."
    Obama has said his views on gay marriage are "evolving", but for now he only supports civil union.
    Obama's position on gay marriage has become a sore point for some gay activists who say they're otherwise pleased with the president's handling of issues important to them. Some of the president's backers say he could be wasting a chance to energize key segments of his base, including young people, if he doesn't publicly advocate for gay marriage.
    "If he doesn't, he could be missing an opportunity to mobilize voters who need to be inspired to vote for him," said Doug Hattaway, a Democratic consultant.
    The president's position on gay marriage puts him at odds with some of his supporters. Numerous recent polls suggest a slight majority of Americans favor giving same-sex couples the right to marry, and support is highest among Democrats and young people.
    Obama has acknowledged that public support for gay marriage is building. During a meeting with liberal bloggers last October, he said "it's pretty clear where the trend lines are going."
    Obama aides have given no indication of where the president's evolution on gay marriage stands. And some gay rights advocates believe political considerations could keep Obama from publicly backing gay marriage until after the November 2012 election.
    Joe Sudbay, among a group of bloggers who met with Obama last year, said most gay rights advocates won't vote against Obama if he stops short of backing gay marriage. But he said they may be less likely to volunteer their time and money to the campaign.
    "He might not lose votes, but he won't gain enthusiasm," said Sudbay, deputy editor of AmericaBlog.com.
    While gay rights advocates may not be getting everything they want from the president, they see little support for their cause among the field of Republican primary contenders.
    Most top Republican presidential candidates, including former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and Texas Gov. Rick Perry, favor limiting marriage to unions between one man and one woman.
    Fred Sainz, the Human Rights Campaign's vice president for communications, said he expects Obama to eventually declare his support for gay marriage. And even if that doesn't happen before next year's election, he said the president's other actions on gay rights issued should not be ignored.
    "He really has been an incredible champion for the issues that are important to us," Sainz said. "It's fair to say we've made more progress in the past two years than we have in the past 40 years combined."
    In his remarks Saturday night, Obama implored the supportive crowd of 3,200 to stand with him in his re-election campaign, declaring: "This is a contest of values."

[quote]"This is a contest of values." President Barack Obama read from his teleprompter[/quote]

No, Mr. President. It's going to be a contest of economic competency. And you, sir, are hopelessly INcompetent!

Romney-Cain 2012

:usaflag:

:jets17

Obama is light in the loafers.

You guys are truly embarrassing.

[QUOTE=cr726;4168147]You guys are truly embarrassing.[/QUOTE]

In further news, Obama also stated "he supports gay civil servants ^:P " as well.

All League
    I agree with Obama. Does anyone here believe certain military personnel are unworthy of support and respect?

Obama is the same guy who stood idly by as Jimmy Hoffa exorted everyone to "Take out (kill?) the tea party SOBs."
    Obama is a phony.
    The jobs bill is a union ploy.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PatriotReign;4168254]I agree with Obama. Does anyone here believe certain military personnel are unworthy of support and respect?[/QUOTE]

Only one. The current commander in chief.

[QUOTE=PatriotReign;4168254]I agree with Obama. Does anyone here believe certain military personnel are unworthy of support and respect?[/QUOTE]

You're missing the point.

It's none of my business who my Sgt, my LT or even my CIC sleeps with. I don't care if he/she likes men, women, fatties or whatever. As long as they don't like kids the way Michael Jackson did or they're not ****ing dogs or other animals, IT'S NONE OF MY BUSINESS.

I have the right to NOT know what your sexual preferences are. Are there gays in the military? Of course. Are some of them pretty obvious? Yep. Do I care? No. As long as they maintain their arms, their equipment and themselves, can fire a rifle, stand watch and I know they got my back and I got theres, I don't care what color he/she is, what his religion is, or if he likes to play dingle dangle doogle with other guys. I don't care and I don't want to know.

Furthermore, it didn't take long for this crap to slide down the slippery pole LIKE WE ALL KNEW IT WOULD now the freaks want transgenders to serve.

What's next?

[QUOTE=Frequent Flyer;4168268]You're missing the point.

It's none of my business who my Sgt, my LT or even my CIC sleeps with. I don't care if he/she likes men, women, fatties or whatever. As long as they don't like kids the way Michael Jackson did or they're not ****ing dogs or other animals, IT'S NONE OF MY BUSINESS.

I have the right to NOT know what your sexual preferences are. Are there gays in the military? Of course. Are some of them pretty obvious? Yep. Do I care? No. As long as they maintain their arms, their equipment and themselves, can fire a rifle, stand watch and I know they got my back and I got theres, I don't care what color he/she is, what his religion is, or if he likes to play dingle dangle doogle with other guys. I don't care and I don't want to know.

[COLOR="Red"]Furthermore, it didn't take long for this crap to slide down the slippery pole LIKE WE ALL KNEW IT WOULD now the freaks want transgenders to serve.[/COLOR]

What's next?[/QUOTE]
    I said this was going to happen 2 and a half years ago on this board and was poo-pahed by the resident lefties. There WILL be flagrant gays in military and it will harm morale. Showering with a Queen will be troublesome, no doubt, too many serving. Personally I have no problem with them serving under the restrictions that were in place.

All League

Furthermore, it didn't take long for this crap to slide down the slippery pole LIKE WE ALL KNEW IT WOULD now the freaks want transgenders to serve.

What's next?[/QUOTE]

Point taken. DADT needed to be repealed simply to prevent personnel being discharged for no other reason than being gay. Having said that this should be a non issue going forward. I don't endorse anyone using the military as a platform for constant social commentary and critique. I agree that everyone should shut up about their sexual preference and just do their job.

[QUOTE]In a sharp rebuke of his Republican rivals, President Barack Obama said anyone who wants to be commander in chief must support the entire U.S. military, including gay service members.[/QUOTE]

+1 Mr. President.:yes:

Hey Barry, Lt. Col. Terry Lakin is still waiting to hear from you.

[B]GO BACK TO INDONESIA YOU F'N SCUMBAG.[/B]

[QUOTE=Frequent Flyer;4172266]Hey Barry, Lt. Col. Terry Lakin is still waiting to hear from you.

[B]GO BACK TO INDONESIA YOU F'N SCUMBAG.[/B][/QUOTE]

The politix forum sure is firin' on all cylinders these days.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=FF2;4172316]The politix forum sure is firin' on all cylinders these days.[/QUOTE]

Dr. Furious is making it warm and cozy in here, lolz...

[B]
    I have the right to NOT know what your sexual preferences are.[/B] Are there gays in the military? Of course. Are some of them pretty obvious? Yep. Do I care? No. As long as they maintain their arms, their equipment and themselves, can fire a rifle, stand watch and I know they got my back and I got theres, I don't care what color he/she is, what his religion is, or if he likes to play dingle dangle doogle with other guys. I don't care and I don't want to know.

What's next?[/QUOTE]

Do you have the right not to know what a heterosexual's sexual preferences are? Should "don't ask don't tell" apply to heterosexuality as well?

[QUOTE=Frequent Flyer;4172266]Hey Barry, Lt. Col. Terry Lakin is still waiting to hear from you.

[B]GO BACK TO INDONESIA YOU F'N SCUMBAG.[/B][/QUOTE]

Time to tone it down, FF.

[QUOTE=doggin94it;4172921]Do you have the right not to know what a heterosexual's sexual preferences are? Should "don't ask don't tell" apply to heterosexuality as well?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

Discussion of sexual issues is not appropriate in the workplace. Be it a civil workplace or a millitary workplace.

And I 100% support Homosexual Rights and Equallity, for the record.

But just like I can't talk to my coworker about what kind of blowjob I prefer, I don't want my coworker discussing, without my consent, how much he likes to take it in the ass.

Private bedroom issues belong in private, in your own bedroom. Not int he workplace.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;4172921]Do you have the right not to know what a heterosexual's sexual preferences are? Should "don't ask don't tell" apply to heterosexuality as well?[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

And if that be the case, than heterosexual soldiers should not be allowed to marry...as that would be "telling".

Would you send your son away to summer camp if you knew he would have to take a shower with homosexuals?