Thread: The "I was wrong about Cam Newton" thread...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

The "I was wrong about Cam Newton" thread...

This guy has just torn it up pretty well every game. Never in my dreams did I think he would do this well period. Carolina made the right choice it seems.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's been going pretty well straight out of the gate it seems. Still waiting to see how he fares against upper echelon D's. But he's been impressive so far

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    No doubt he'll stumble at some point but his upside is through the roof based on what we've seen so early as a rook.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well he loves him some him, so confidence isn't the problem, but he'll hit his wall like everyone else.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorJet View Post
    Well he loves him some him, so confidence isn't the problem, but he'll hit his wall like everyone else.
    So? What exactly are you trying to say that needs to said here? Considering the concerns on this guy, and his limited history - his success has been out of this world...

way to be a hater

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    people saw all sorts of character concerns that weren't there. He wasn't Terrelle Pryor. there was a laptop thing when he was 18 but he paid his dues on that by going to JC.

taking money to play for Auburn, that's called being a pro. Eric Dickerson got a gold trans am to go to Texas A&M (a bribe which he reneged on and went to SMU instead)

it's a big story for the NCAA for a guy to take money but really, they all take money, if they are any good. what Cam Newton does is lead that team and say what you will about his flaws, the Panthers are way better this year than last year.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vets have praised his work ethic and leadership skills since the day after he was drafted. He has all of the physical tools and skills. As long as he stays hungry and works hard, the sky is the limit for this kid.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had no issue with character. I had issue with the system he was in and how far a QB has to go to read nfl defenses, accuracy and not just being athlete back there. You don't throw for the yardage he was without knowing what you are doing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn't wrong

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    This guy has just torn it up pretty well every game. Never in my dreams did I think he would do this well period. Carolina made the right choice it seems.
    How is he by defenition doing "well?" People are acting like hes already considered a good draft pick because hes throwing for a ton of yards. Last time I checked his team is 1-4 and he has more int's then TD's, and is racking up yards as his team tries to catch up from behind. Hes not even the best rookie qb so far this year. Dalton has been more impressive.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    How is he by defenition doing "well?" People are acting like hes already considered a good draft pick because hes throwing for a ton of yards. Last time I checked his team is 1-4 and he has more int's then TD's, and is racking up yards as his team tries to catch up from behind. Hes not even the best rookie qb so far this year. Dalton has been more impressive.
    I don't want to come off as too argumentative... but you're out of your skull.

Dalton, more impressive? How about a seagull? Are you blown away by them too? (ftr... dalton's looking very sanchez-y.)

I watched the CAR game and Newton is the man. There's nothing but competition in him, and he did just about everything on offense to win that game for them. CAR's defense has been flashy, but let NO's hang around in the 4th quarter.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you actually watched the games you wouldn't have this opinion......Cam Newton will be great no doubt about it

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is doing well by throwing a ton of yards on a bad team. You simply don't throw for 300 to 400 yards per game on a reg basis without having a good arm, reasonable accuracy and being able to read some defenses.

Newton 7 tds, 6 ints, 1610 yards, 84.3 rating on a lousy carolina team
    Sanchez 8 tds, 5 ints, 1171 yards, 80.4 rating on a vet laden jets team.

Newton is a raw rookie, 1st 5 games of his career. Anyone that isn't optimistic and impressed by a raw rookie putting up those numbers has their head in the sand.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    He is doing well by throwing a ton of yards on a bad team. You simply don't throw for 300 to 400 yards per game on a reg basis without having a good arm, reasonable accuracy and being able to read some defenses.

Newton 7 tds, 6 ints, 1610 yards, 84.3 rating on a lousy carolina team
    Sanchez 8 tds, 5 ints, 1171 yards, 80.4 rating on a vet laden jets team.

Newton is a raw rookie, 1st 5 games of his career. Anyone that isn't optimistic and impressed by a raw rookie putting up those numbers has their head in the sand.
    I've been very impressed with Newton, but he can't read defenses yet and he has accuracy problems.

He does have a GREAT arm and he has revived Steve Smith's career. He's averaging 22.6 yards per catch. There are 3-4 times per game where Newton just throws it 60 yards down the field for Smith. The Panthers also did a great job in picking up Shockey and Olsen, two guys that should both be #1 TEs. They've made life a lot easier for Newton.

The Newton hype is deserved. I also like that he's bothered by the losing. He's just got to whether the storm this year. They'll get some talent through the draft and free agency, and with no lockout he'll be able to spend the summer studying with the offensive coaches.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    im pickn Caro this wk.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    If you actually watched the games you wouldn't have this opinion......Cam Newton will be great no doubt about it
    Come on guys... we should all no better than to say ridic stuff like that. Vince Young went on a tear too during what I believe was his rookie season and then fell apart. I am not saying Newton will go to pieces like Young did, but the sample size is too small to really say anything like that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Come on guys... we should all no better than to say ridic stuff like that. Vince Young went on a tear too during what I believe was his rookie season and then fell apart. I am not saying Newton will go to pieces like Young did, but the sample size is too small to really say anything like that.
    Its so easy to make V. Young comparisons that it's not bold. You know what is bold? Seeing Cam under his own spotlight. Newton is everyone you'd hope for when selecting a QB at #1.

CAR had the first pick in the draft last year for more than just purely QB play. Give that franchise another year or two. Scary.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Newton's already playing better than Sanchez.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Newton's already playing better than Sanchez.
    hes playing better than most quarterbacks. maybe 5 or 6 are playing better, maybe less, depending on how we define better

the league would love to have Cam Newton in a playoff game. He's a marketing machine.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's been very impressive lately, no doubt